Building basement windows - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 09-23-2012, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

View mavawreck's Photo Album My Photos
Building basement windows

Friend has asked me to build some windows for his basement in a 1950's home. Unconditioned basement with CMU walls, current windows have rusted out metal frames and shattered glass. Just looking to make simple fixed frames to hold lexan. There are four in total, roughly 30" long by 18" tall. Currently each window has two identical side by side panes per frame. My plan is to use this project as an excuse to purchase a router table and tenon bits. I have access to a table saw, but it is not mine and I do not have a dado set. I am going to use scrap lumber and 2x6s ripped to dimensional lumber something like 1.5" x 1.5" at the bottom and top and 1.25" x 3" on the sides and middle.

This is a learning project for me, any thoughts?

First time attempting windows. First time ripping lumber. First time attempting mortise and tenons or dovetail joints.

Last edited by mavawreck; 09-23-2012 at 03:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-23-2012, 03:35 PM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavawreck View Post
Friend has asked me to build some windows for his basement in a 1950's home. Unconditioned basement with CMU walls, current windows have rusted out metal frames and shattered glass. Just looking to make simple fixed frames to hold lexan. There are four in total, roughly 30" long by 18" tall. Currently each window has two identical side by side panes per frame. My plan is to use this project as an excuse to purchase a router table and tenon bits. I have access to a table saw, but it is not mine and I do not have a dado set. I am going to use scrap lump and 2x6s ripped to dimensional lumber something like 1.5" x 1.5" at the bottom and top and 1.25" x 3" on the sides and middle.

This is a learning project for me, any thoughts?

First time attempting windows. First time ripping lumber. First time attempting mortise and tenons or dovetail joints.
By fixed frames.... They don't open at all or just hinged to swing up?
If they are static, I don't think you need m-t's, just tongue and groove would work OK. Just put 1/4" grooves in the rails and stiles, put 1/4" tongues on the rails and center stile. Use 1/4" Lexan and assemble with TBIII. Standard router table wouldn't be my choice for M-T joints anyway, can be done but not the safest IMHO. Horizontal router table is different.

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood
post #3 of 7 Old 09-23-2012, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaben View Post
By fixed frames.... They don't open at all or just hinged to swing up?
If they are static, I don't think you need m-t's, just tongue and groove would work OK. Just put 1/4" grooves in the rails and stiles, put 1/4" tongues on the rails and center stile. Use 1/4" Lexan and assemble with TBIII. Standard router table wouldn't be my choice for M-T joints anyway, can be done but not the safest IMHO. Horizontal router table is different.
The original ones swung out but have been stuck shut for the past 30 years or so judging by the debris. So these will not open at all. There are two other windows on the above grade sides and two entry doors which can be opened if need be. Since the bottom of these are almost at grade, not a lot of joy comes from having them open anyways.

Tounge and groove is an option for sure. Would be cheaper for me since I have the bits already. We're lucky enough to have a local klingspors and I spoke to them for awhile today. Sounded like M-T would be workable but I need to build a sled. Which looks pretty easy.

Thanks for the advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-23-2012, 05:07 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
It sounds like these windows will be subject to lots of weather problems. I would NOT make then out of scrap lumber.

I would make them of something that is weather resistant.

George
post #5 of 7 Old 09-23-2012, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
It sounds like these windows will be subject to lots of weather problems. I would NOT make then out of scrap lumber.

I would make them of something that is weather resistant.

George
Good thought George.

I'm not too worried about them because they are pretty well protected by the eaves and will someday be covered by a porch. They are original to the house, look to have never been repainted and are over 60 years old at this point. I was going to completely paint and seal the casings before final assembly and installation so there is no exposed grain. Several good finish coats and a thorough caulking and they should be absolutely fine.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-24-2012, 05:18 AM
Turning Wood Into Art

View DaveTTC's Photo Album My Photos
I would just use housing and rabbeted joints

Recycled lumber - no worries.

Dave The Turning Cowboy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1005009392.jpg
Views:	498
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	51591  

DaveTTC

The Turning Cowboy
Turning Wood into Art
post #7 of 7 Old 12-20-2012, 12:23 AM

View Anderson Smith's Photo Album My Photos
The simplest way to avoid the header size issue is to make an existing basement window taller. Typical small basement windows measure 30 in. wide by 15 in. high. If you extend this opening down and install a 29-in. wide by 47-in. high casement window, you'll satisfy minimum egress window requirements.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode