build in ? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 02-02-2012, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2
View catoway's Photo Album My Photos
Unhappy build in ?

im trying to come up with a way to put doors on a, build in/ tv/shelf,about 8' 6" h. by 6' 1" w 13" deep with the 50" tv in the center.they dont wunt to see the tv when its not on .so how do i build the doors so they will go away when the tv is in use?:blink
catoway is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 02-03-2012, 12:00 AM
Senior Member
 
Corbin3388's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Palmdale Ca
Posts: 526
View Corbin3388's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by catoway
im trying to come up with a way to put doors on a, build in/ tv/shelf,about 8' 6" h. by 6' 1" w 13" deep with the 50" tv in the center.they dont wunt to see the tv when its not on .so how do i build the doors so they will go away when the tv is in use?:blink
A pic would help. Pocket doors, track that slides turns 90' then back.
Tell em not to be cheap. Enclose the TV with some eglass. It would look awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Wood Forum

Last edited by Corbin3388; 02-03-2012 at 12:03 AM.
Corbin3388 is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 02-03-2012, 12:22 AM
No Longer Here
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Rumson New Jersey
Posts: 1,530
View MastersHand's Photo Album My Photos
Sliding door with counter weight. The center door in picture slides up with one finger to reveal a Flatscreen TV. Custom MDF counter weight makes door lift as if it weighed as much as a feather
PS please go in an Edit your Post to "Built-In"
Sent from my iPhone using Wood Forum
Attached Images
 

Last edited by MastersHand; 02-03-2012 at 12:24 AM.
MastersHand is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MastersHand For This Useful Post:
catoway (02-03-2012), Master of none... (02-17-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 10 Old 02-03-2012, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2
View catoway's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbin3388 View Post
A pic would help. Pocket doors, track that slides turns 90' then back.
Tell em not to be cheap. Enclose the TV with some eglass. It would look awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Wood Forum
where&what are the hinges called?
and the piece has not been built yet.its going to be only 13" deep would that be enough? thanks for you time.
catoway is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 02-03-2012, 06:30 PM
Old School
 
cabinetman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: So. Florida
Posts: 24,027
View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by catoway View Post
where&what are the hinges called?
and the piece has not been built yet.its going to be only 13" deep would that be enough? thanks for you time.

The hardware consists of cabinet side mechanisms that slide in and out, and attached thereto is a follower strip that carries euro hinges. It can be called pocket door hardware, or flipper door hardware:
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...flipper%20door

Most of the hardware should be about 3" longer than the door is wide, so when the door opens and pushes back, the whole door goes into the cabinet.






.
cabinetman is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 02-03-2012, 10:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Corbin3388's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Palmdale Ca
Posts: 526
View Corbin3388's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman



The hardware consists of cabinet side mechanisms that slide in and out, and attached thereto is a follower strip that carries euro hinges. It can be called pocket door hardware, or flipper door hardware:
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...flipper%20door

Most of the hardware should be about 3" longer than the door is wide, so when the door opens and pushes back, the whole door goes into the cabinet.




.
Yup he just beat me to it. Still say eglass is the way to go

Sent from my iPhone using Wood Forum
Corbin3388 is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 02-07-2012, 03:13 PM
REDACTED
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MD, trying for orders to TX
Posts: 196
View ArmedFerret's Photo Album My Photos
Eglass has many definitions. Perhaps you'd be kind enough to elaborate for us less edjumicated folks?
ArmedFerret is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 02-08-2012, 12:13 AM
Senior Member
 
Corbin3388's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Palmdale Ca
Posts: 526
View Corbin3388's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmedFerret
Eglass has many definitions. Perhaps you'd be kind enough to elaborate for us less edjumicated folks?
panels use a lamination process which encapsulates a PDLC film between two or more glass sheets. By means of a minute electrical current, users can immediately switch the MagicGlas™ from clear to private (opaque) and vice versa. When the electrical supply is switched on, the liquid crystal molecules align, the panel instantly clears and light passes through. When the power is switched off the liquid crystal molecules are randomly oriented, scattering light, and the panel becomes opaque.

Sent from my iPhone using Wood Forum
Attached Images
  
Corbin3388 is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 06-10-2013, 06:44 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1
View jacksmith1's Photo Album My Photos
you build shelf on front and door will be build on side of shelf then your problem will be solved.
jacksmith1 is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 06-10-2013, 07:55 AM
Senior Member
 
BZawat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Wilkes-Barre, PA
Posts: 1,455
View BZawat's Photo Album My Photos
Your unit would need to be deep enough to accommodate the width of the door sliding in to it, plus any extra needed for the hardware (which you won't know until you at least spec some specific hardware).

In lieu of having adequate depth, maybe you could make a pocket in the wall behind the unit to accept each door when folded in. That would buy you another 4" anyway...
BZawat is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What would you build? WHWoodworking General Woodworking Discussion 8 11-11-2011 10:05 AM
Sure I can build that...I think! NYwoodworks Project Showcase 11 05-25-2011 02:38 PM
Ever build something.... and it doesn't fit!?!?! thegrgyle General Woodworking Discussion 20 03-06-2011 09:45 AM
Looking for someone to build me something natalie67 New Member Introductions 6 01-19-2010 06:09 AM
can someone build this for me? mrlopez Design & Plans 15 03-04-2009 03:21 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome