Broken off bit - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 10-16-2010, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

View tiggyboo's Photo Album My Photos
Unhappy Broken off bit

While drilling a pilot hole for fastening the loop section of a bar latch on a door the bit broke off, probably 1/8" deep in the hole. Do I have any options other than moving the whole assembly, filling the holes and trying again?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-16-2010, 06:19 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggyboo View Post
While drilling a pilot hole for fastening the loop section of a bar latch on a door the bit broke off, probably 1/8" deep in the hole. Do I have any options other than moving the whole assembly, filling the holes and trying again?

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Remove the broken off bit. If you had to dig out to grab it, drill a slightly oversized hole for a dowel and glue in. Then drill a new pilot a hole. If the area is a natural finish, and any repair might show other than a small circular fill...move the assembly.

post #3 of 11 Old 10-16-2010, 07:14 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Use a plug cutter

Like this: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10614

Centered on the drill and it will remove the material around the drill, enough to be able to grasp it with a vise grips or needlenose pliers. You can then creat a plug of straight grain material, glue it in and have virtually invisible repair. bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 10-17-2010, 10:28 AM

View del schisler's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
Like this: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10614

Centered on the drill and it will remove the material around the drill, enough to be able to grasp it with a vise grips or needlenose pliers. You can then creat a plug of straight grain material, glue it in and have virtually invisible repair. bill
If you use this plug cutter this to take out the broken bit . The hole will be the same size as the bit. These are for cutting out plug's as you know. I don't know what size plug it would take to fill up the bigger hole. I never measured it. I only use them for plug cutting. I guess you could get some of the orignal wood and turn it round to fit the bigger hole.

Last edited by del schisler; 10-17-2010 at 10:32 AM.
post #5 of 11 Old 10-17-2010, 11:08 AM
SS user

View Gene Howe's Photo Album My Photos
[QUOTE=cabinetman;156096]WELCOME TO THE FORUM

"Remove the broken off bit. If you had to dig out to grab it, drill a slightly oversized hole for a dowel and glue in. Then drill a new pilot a hole. If the area is a natural finish, and any repair might show other than a small circular fill...move the assembly."

Maybe come in from the back side?
post #6 of 11 Old 10-17-2010, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

View tiggyboo's Photo Album My Photos
Smile

Thanks guys - the plug cutter seems like a great idea. Just ordered one!
Al
post #7 of 11 Old 10-28-2010, 01:03 PM

View tendres's Photo Album My Photos
Hey great idea. I have plug cutters never thought of using them that way. This always kills me a simple fix and I would have never thought of it. Thank you , great question tiggyboo
post #8 of 11 Old 10-28-2010, 06:14 PM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
Time out guys - plug cutter is going to leave a significantly larger hole needing a larger plug cutter to make the repair plug. I would dig the bit out any way I could, use a forstner to clean up the mess and then use a plug cutter the same size as the forsner to make the repair material.
post #9 of 11 Old 11-18-2010, 01:56 PM

View deewaltguy's Photo Album My Photos
[quote=Gene Howe;156150]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman View Post
WELCOME TO THE FORUM

"Remove the broken off bit. If you had to dig out to grab it, drill a slightly oversized hole for a dowel and glue in. Then drill a new pilot a hole. If the area is a natural finish, and any repair might show other than a small circular fill...move the assembly."

Maybe come in from the back side?
Are we still talking woodworking?
post #10 of 11 Old 11-30-2010, 09:45 PM
No Longer Here

View MastersHand's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggyboo
Use an easy out. It works like a miniature tap and die you can get at most hardware stores
post #11 of 11 Old 11-30-2010, 11:47 PM
Old Methane Gas Cloud

View rrich's Photo Album My Photos
There is a product intended to solve this problem. Basically it is a stainless steel tube with teeth cut into each end. You use a drill to with the tube to cut around the broken screw. The screw usually comes out inside the stainless tube. Then you glue a dowel into the hole that was just drilled.
The HUGE advantage to this method is that the OD of the tube is 1/4". Dowels are available to match most woods also in 1/4" diameter. This device works very well for removing broken screws. There is no reason why this couldn't be used to extract broken drill bits also.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...ew%20extractor

They have come down in price since I bought mine.

Use the right tool for the job.

Rich (Tilting right)
Huntington Beach, California
Remember that when we have the "BIG ONE" everything east of the Rockies falls into the ocean.

Tags
broken bit, screw, trim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode