Blum Hinge - Model Number - on moving to soft close - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Richard Zellmer

post #1 of 5 Old 12-23-2018, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

View Richard Zellmer's Photo Album My Photos
Blum Hinge - Model Number - on moving to soft close

I have some cabinets with hinge 38c355-01 hinges. They dont say blum, they say Austria on the them.

I know the 38c is the angle of opening angle
I think(not 100% sure) that the 355 is the door thickness?
I believe the -01 is the overlay amount?

Where I am getting stuck is how I do i find a soft close equivalent. I seen a lot of soft close hingles with a B after the '355' but there are no 38c355b-01 that I could find. It almost seems like the 01 hinges are discontinued or at least less popular. most searchs for 38c355 end with 20. Is that the overlay? Cabinets are wet now but I could measure the overlay if that is what those last digits are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-23-2018, 04:58 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
So why don't you just look at a Blum list and get the hinges you need. They make something for just about every situation. Measure your overlay and whether it's a faceframe mount or frameless. And also how far it lets the door open. Who knows what the numbers really mean?
Mike Hawkins
post #3 of 5 Old 12-24-2018, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

I guess I should have mentioned that I tried that first. Blum has a 838 catalog and technical manual but they dont even show any matches when I search parts of existing model number ie 38C or 355. https://publications.blum.com/2016/catalogue/en/

I can't seem to find a list of hinges after searching google for 30 minutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
So why don't you just look at a Blum list and get the hinges you need. They make something for just about every situation. Measure your overlay and whether it's a faceframe mount or frameless. And also how far it lets the door open. Who knows what the numbers really mean?
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 12-24-2018, 09:45 AM

View J.C.'s Photo Album My Photos
I can't say I know what all the numbers mean but the 38c is the model of hinge. The 355 is a screw on hinge and a 358 would be a press in hinge. Generally, the last two digits are overlay in 1/16 of an inch. 06=3/8", 08=1/2", etc. I don't know what an 01 would be. I've never seen 1/16" overlay hinge. I don't see 38c hinges but here's 38n hinges that should work fine. You just need to measure your overlay to get the correct ones.

On edit: I see they do actually have a 38C hinge listed. They only have one size overlay listed, 1 1/4". So, if you need 1 1/4" overlay, you need 38C355B.20 The B is what signifies soft close. If it were a C, it would be self close.

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. Cheap prices make for cheap goods; cheap goods make for cheap men; and cheap men make for a cheap country. ~ William McKinley

Last edited by J.C.; 12-24-2018 at 09:56 AM.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-24-2018, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

JC - thanks... the 01 what was throwing me off too as I did believe this was overlay. I repainted the cabinets and left while they were still wet .. my hope was to return with hinges so I could reinstall them next trip. But seems like I just need to wait until I can measure the overlay and then get the 'b' model. thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C. View Post
I can't say I know what all the numbers mean but the 38c is the model of hinge. The 355 is a screw on hinge and a 358 would be a press in hinge. Generally, the last two digits are overlay in 1/16 of an inch. 06=3/8", 08=1/2", etc. I don't know what an 01 would be. I've never seen 1/16" overlay hinge. I don't see 38c hinges but here's 38n hinges that should work fine. You just need to measure your overlay to get the correct ones.

On edit: I see they do actually have a 38C hinge listed. They only have one size overlay listed, 1 1/4". So, if you need 1 1/4" overlay, you need 38C355B.20 The B is what signifies soft close. If it were a C, it would be self close.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode