Bidding on a comercial insatlation. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 18 Old 12-03-2007, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

View Corndog's Photo Album My Photos
Bidding on a comercial insatlation.

As you may or may not know I'm a guitar builder. I have absolutely NO idea what I should charge for this. 1300 SQ' record store some existing racks...have to build more. I don't want to under sell myself but I REALLY wanna give the guy a deal as it's in a high traffic area and I could get more work out of it.
Any starting hourly wage would help. He's already agreed to material costs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 12-03-2007, 09:56 PM
PK.

View PK.'s Photo Album My Photos
My shop rate starts at $75 per man hour for custom fabrication. The first rule is never cut your price to get work that "will" lead to more work.

Having done retail display work, I think you might be surprised to find out how much that stuff costs. A decent cash wrap in the $7-10,000 range wouldn't be unusual.

If you want, post some details and maybe it would be easier to give a decent price range.
post #3 of 18 Old 12-05-2007, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

Wow!!! That much huh??? We're gonna barter for some free shop space in the basement in exchange for labor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 12-05-2007, 09:11 AM

View woodman42's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK. View Post
My shop rate starts at $75 per man hour for custom fabrication. The first rule is never cut your price to get work that "will" lead to more work.

Having done retail display work, I think you might be surprised to find out how much that stuff costs. A decent cash wrap in the $7-10,000 range wouldn't be unusual.

If you want, post some details and maybe it would be easier to give a decent price range.
Damn, I ain't charging enough.

Did you say tool sale?
post #5 of 18 Old 12-05-2007, 10:11 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndog View Post
As you may or may not know I'm a guitar builder. I have absolutely NO idea what I should charge for this. 1300 SQ' record store some existing racks...have to build more. I don't want to under sell myself but I REALLY wanna give the guy a deal as it's in a high traffic area and I could get more work out of it.

Selling a custom made product is different than just charging for labor. If you are into barter, figure the cost of your product (labor, overhead, materials, profit), as your end of the deal. You can't produce a time sheet in the end to qualify your per hour charge, so figure out in advance about how long it's gonna take and multiply a fair per/hour amount. When considering how much to charge per hour, remember time out of your life is going into the project.

post #6 of 18 Old 12-05-2007, 10:35 PM
PK.

View PK.'s Photo Album My Photos
Woodman, I was involved with an install at a Gap store. The cabinetry, a cash wrap with safe, maybe a dozen or so two and three tiered tables, several wall racks and shelving and some small nested display tables came to close to fifty grand. Some shop in Oregon built it.

It was at that point that I decided I need a bigger shop and a cnc router.
post #7 of 18 Old 12-07-2007, 08:55 AM
Woodworker and Contractor

View Kingfisher's Photo Album My Photos
While the rate sould not change it make a diiferance on your skills. The guy who make quick paint grade boxes and shelves would get $30 hour and the craftsman making higher grade cherry cabinets would get $70. The rate may stay the same for both and in thoery the caraftsman should be able to make the cheaper boxes faster to even it out. In the real world if I want cheap boxes I hire the cheap guy and pay the craftsman for the high end stuff only. Where do you fit in here? How custom is the work? Also all the numbers I used a guesses, it is to area specific. Good Luck

Never measure what you can scribe
post #8 of 18 Old 12-07-2007, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Thanx guys. Yeah, they're just paint grade. The guy ONLY sells heavy metal so I assume that they'll be black.....
post #9 of 18 Old 12-29-2007, 10:07 PM

View Youngman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Thanx guys. Yeah, they're just paint grade. The guy ONLY sells heavy metal so I assume that they'll be black.....
If he sells only heavy metal, I would assume they would be rust.... in tone, or puttar or copper or......O.K. is was not that funny.
post #10 of 18 Old 12-29-2007, 10:17 PM

View BlockHead's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Wow!!! That much huh??? We're gonna barter for some free shop space in the basement in exchange for labor.
What would it cost to rent that shop space? That's how much you would be charging. Also, if the record store goes bust, there goe's your space. Just my nickel's worth.
post #11 of 18 Old 12-31-2007, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

That store has been around for quite a while so I ain't worried about that.

What I hate is deadlines and Mdf.
post #12 of 18 Old 12-31-2007, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Corndog...building something as an art form and constructing in retail are two different animals. An artist doing construction is an event to say the least. And working for one is about the same. Up at noon two hour coffee breaks and shut down when the night life starts. I assume we have a bit of artistry in our veins...no. You know what they say about artist, they die poor. Charge what you need to and add enough to build your buisness, what ever it is.
post #13 of 18 Old 01-01-2008, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

This is what he wanted...still gotta assemble the last 3.

post #14 of 18 Old 01-01-2008, 10:40 AM
Andrew Close

View aclose's Photo Album My Photos
Geoff,

looks sharp. post a photo once they're painted and in the store.
i hope you get to move into your bigger shop soon so you can get back to your guitar tutorial.
post #15 of 18 Old 01-01-2008, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Thanx!!!! This is the new place once I'm done with the racks...
cheap too!!!!

post #16 of 18 Old 01-02-2008, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Well...we got 'em all done and on time but the last one...IS A DISASTER!!!
Nothing lined up and we just wanted to go home @ 1:30 in the morning.

He wanted it to open t'day but I'm gonna go down and knock it apart and re-assemble it t'night. It's embarrassing.
post #17 of 18 Old 01-02-2008, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Well...we got 'em all done and on time but the last one...IS A DISASTER!!!
Nothing lined up and we just wanted to go home @ 1:30 in the morning.

He wanted it to open t'day but I'm gonna go down and knock it apart and re-assemble it t'night. It's embarrassing.
I bet your cheeks are nice and rosey from that MDF....1:30, your a rock star
post #18 of 18 Old 03-13-2008, 08:40 AM

View snowi's Photo Album My Photos
As a general contractor on a small renovation, My client Paid $600.00 to have a MDG coat rack 12' long and 4 shelves built plus install 240 L feet of chair rail installed. The Client supplied the materials. The sub was done in 2 days.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode