Best way to assure bookcase is square when installing back - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 16 Old 09-12-2015, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

View personalt's Photo Album My Photos
Best way to assure bookcase is square when installing back

I have a 36" w x 92"h x 12"d bookcase that I am building out of 3/4" plywood. I routed the back of each side so the back could sit recessed. (back is 1/2" plywood). Top and bottom where secured with pocket screws and glue.

Would these bessy angle clamps be good for assuring the whole bookcase is square before installing the back?

I did one today but have two more to do tomorrow. For this one I cut the back 1/8" short and made sure the spacing was uniform all around before I nailed it on but was wondering if there was a better way to hold it square.
Attached Images

Last edited by personalt; 09-12-2015 at 07:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-12-2015, 07:54 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
the back itself is your guide

Assuming .... the back is square and fits well with an even gap all around, that's all you need to get the carcass square. No fancy clamps.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
BigJim (09-13-2015), Joe Lyddon (10-07-2015), mikeswoods (09-13-2015), MT Stringer (01-08-2016), Toolman50 (09-13-2015)
post #3 of 16 Old 09-12-2015, 08:13 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Like woodenthings said the back will hold the cabinet square however when installing it the front of the cabinet can twist some making the front out of square. What you can do when you are installing it is to measure the cabinet corner to corner both ways and see if the front is square. You might have to shim it a little and screw it to the wall or ceiling to make the front square too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 09-12-2015, 09:13 PM
Wood Snob

View Al B Thayer's Photo Album My Photos
I agree the back will square it. But care should be taken when putting the carcass together. At glue up be sure when left to setup it's setting square and true. I just set one bar clamp on the longest diagonal and pull it into square. If it's too long for one clamp I just use two.

If you cut the back perfectly square you can't go wrong.

al

post #5 of 16 Old 09-12-2015, 09:16 PM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
I always measure the carcass corner to corner diagonally. The measurements should be the same, adjust until they are...
The Following User Says Thank You to shoot summ For This Useful Post:
MT Stringer (01-08-2016)
post #6 of 16 Old 09-13-2015, 09:41 AM

View Belg's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot summ View Post
I always measure the carcass corner to corner diagonally. The measurements should be the same, adjust until they are...
I do the measurements but when working with larger pieces have trouble getting the corners to shift without damaging edges, any tips?
post #7 of 16 Old 09-13-2015, 11:11 AM

View Ghidrah's Photo Album My Photos
In the past pretty much every issue I had regarding carcass square was related to the individual parts not being the same, (L, W, H,) and or the cuts made within the panels. The better I got at ensuring dupe measure and cut the squarer the product.

Work smart not hard!
Never bite the hand that looks dirty
post #8 of 16 Old 09-13-2015, 01:11 PM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
Take a few minutes and make several of these. If your parts are cut correctly, these will help keep the carcase square.

Make 'em whatever size you need.
Good luck.
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3172.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	184081  

Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to MT Stringer For This Useful Post:
michaelpugh (09-20-2015)
post #9 of 16 Old 09-13-2015, 05:47 PM

View Belg's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Stringer View Post
Take a few minutes and make several of these. If your parts are cut correctly, these will help keep the carcase square.

Make 'em whatever size you need.
Good luck.
Mike
Mike I made those for myself. In the version I found they clipped the rear sharp corner as to not get it stuck in the glue on an inside glue up.
The Following User Says Thank You to Belg For This Useful Post:
FrankC (09-15-2015)
post #10 of 16 Old 09-13-2015, 05:56 PM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belg View Post
Mike I made those for myself. In the version I found they clipped the rear sharp corner as to not get it stuck in the glue on an inside glue up.
I was thinking of doing that just last night. I have five kitchen cabinets to build soon so these will come in handy again.

The cabinet in my post is 45 inches tall and 37 inches wide x 18 inches deep.

It was easy to assemble.
The Following User Says Thank You to MT Stringer For This Useful Post:
Belg (09-14-2015)
post #11 of 16 Old 09-17-2015, 10:27 AM

View tradewater's Photo Album My Photos
As others mentioned, perfectly square (and flat) components ( Festool tracksaw and MFT work best for me ), and then I like Woodpecker's precision clamping guides for the assembly...

"Resistance to tyranny is obedience to God." - Thomas Jefferson, et al
post #12 of 16 Old 09-20-2015, 09:28 PM

View was2ndlast's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tradewater View Post
As others mentioned, perfectly square (and flat) components ( Festool tracksaw and MFT work best for me ), and then I like Woodpecker's precision clamping guides for the assembly...
Yeah but you need the parallel accesory to be dead on both sides. I don't have it so I tend to use the table saw when cutting the components...unless it's a full sheet then use my ts55 and carefully line up.
post #13 of 16 Old 09-27-2015, 03:54 AM

View sancho's Photo Album My Photos
Another method for squaring that I used to use is as already mentioned be sure all the pieces are cut to the right dimensions.
Sides the exact same length and the top and bottom the exact same length. Then after assembly I cut a my back ( I use 6 mm ply)
about 1/4" wider and longer then the finish dimension. I'll nail, staple screw ( how ever you want to do it ) 3 corners of the the back of the finished cab. Take a square on the 4th corner and adj the box to square then add the 4th fastener. Then take your router and with a flush trim bit trim the outside of the back.

I still use that method for garage cabs and other things.
post #14 of 16 Old 09-27-2015, 10:46 AM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by sancho View Post
Another method for squaring that I used to use is as already mentioned be sure all the pieces are cut to the right dimensions.
Sides the exact same length and the top and bottom the exact same length. Then after assembly I cut a my back ( I use 6 mm ply)
about 1/4" wider and longer then the finish dimension. I'll nail, staple screw ( how ever you want to do it ) 3 corners of the the back of the finished cab. Take a square on the 4th corner and adj the box to square then add the 4th fastener. Then take your router and with a flush trim bit trim the outside of the back.

I still use that method for garage cabs and other things.
Just curious, how do you get the carcass to move after fastening three sides?

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #15 of 16 Old 10-06-2015, 01:01 PM

View SedaliaSteve's Photo Album My Photos
Everybody here is right on about making sure that all parts are square and properly sized. It still is easy to mess up in the gluing stage. Whenever I'm making a cabinet or something that really needs to be square I use hide glue since it sets much slower than regular wood glue. That way I can make sure each joint is good with no bows or other issues. Then I still have time to take a square to everywhere and measure crossways to make sure they match. It's very easy to get a bit off here on a big piece. I have lots of pipe clamps and some 8 foot pipes and I use a clamp crossways to bring it back to square. If you don't have one long enough, use two together. With hide glue I leave it in the clamps 24 hours but the extra time it gives me is worth it.
Steve
post #16 of 16 Old 01-08-2016, 04:14 PM

View sancho's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankC View Post
Just curious, how do you get the carcass to move after fastening three sides?
I use this method smaller type cabinets and book cases but once I got the back panel screw on in 3 corners I take a square and push the carcass over until its square then drive in the 4th screw, take a router with a flush trim bit and flush up the back panel.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode