Best thing since... - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 08-30-2008, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

View joesdad's Photo Album My Photos
Best thing since...

...yep, sliced bread. I've been using my buddy's huge shop for the last few days since I have to wrangle 12 sheets of walnut ply for a large office built-in and that's not happening in my small shop.

So while I was resting some of my full sheets against some birch sheets he had in a corner I couldn't help but notice the finish on the birch sheets, this stuff had a lacquer coat on it that looked like glass.

I joked with him that I realized he can lay down coats of clear better than me on most any given day, but that birch was unreal. He then told me he buys it like that...

On most all of my painted built-ins, I usually always use birch for all the casework, and usually always leave the insides of the cabinets natural.

This will save me two big steps in the future. At $62 a sheet I'll save quiet a bit in labor.

It's strange because in the past I've asked a few of the local yards if they could special order me prefinished sheets of birch that isn't particle board and three places told me it doesn't exist...

Intellectuals solve problems, geniuses prevent them.
-Albert Einstein :http://armandj.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-31-2008, 10:01 PM

View johnjf0622's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to johnjf0622
That a good price considerring birch ply goes for 50 and change for unfinished. That is definitely worth the few extra bucks to save some time.

I don't plan my day in advance cause the word "Premeditated" ends up flying around the court room.......
post #3 of 4 Old 09-01-2008, 04:38 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
If you look around, you can find pre-finished Birch or Maple ply in 1/4", 1/2", and 3/4". Finishes could be lacquer, conversion varnish, or waterbased polyurethane, depending on the supplier. You just have to be careful doing machine work and handling of pre-finished material. The sheets selected for pre-finishing are usually pretty good.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 09-05-2008, 12:16 AM

View clampman's Photo Album My Photos
I used to pay either 2 or 4 bucks more per sheet for finished both sides. It was worth it to me because it stayed much flatter in the shop, and it was also good for shelving, and if you scratched up one side, you could usually use the other.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode