Best approach for built-in lighting - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 3 Old 02-27-2014, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

View Bulkhead's Photo Album My Photos
Best approach for built-in lighting

Hello All,

I am starting a large project to build out a study with desk/work areas below, and a combination of cabinets, bookcases and cubbies above. The builit-ins will consume all wall space on two adjacent walls, forming a 12' by 12' "L" built-in from floor to ceiling (10')

I am planning to build the cabinets as individual units and will utilize a faceframe to tie them all together. The design has the entire built-in going up to within 4" of the ceiling with crown molding finishing off the built-ins and tying into the ceiling.

My question, generally, is how should I approach wiring the lighting, both in the cubbies/bookcases/cabinets (with glass doors) and the under cabinet lighting which will provide the needed task lighting on the desks/work areas?

I am planning to run two new circuits to the built-in:
  1. Under cabinet circuit for task lighting
  2. In cabinet / cubbie lighting
Should I install outlets in one or more walls and then connect the lighting to the outlet with a plug? This would provide a "modular" approach and provide the benefit of a switched outlet if the built-ins are removed in the future.

Or

Should I hardwire the lighting by running Romex out the wall (behind a cabinet) and make the connections directly (wingnuts or similar)?

Should I pre-install the lighting in each cabinet and then make connections between units after they have been hung, or hang the cabinets first and then install all the lighting?

Should I use (or must I use) flexible conduit to run Romex to each lighting unit, or can I just daisy-chain the fixtures together?

I do not have the lighting fixtures selected yet and that may answer some of my questions. I am leaning toward LED ribbon lighting, but welcome your suggestions on this as well.

I've attached a rendering of the room design below.

Apologies for the long post and thanks in advance for your input.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-28-2014, 12:18 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Look into LED strip lighting for the inside of the cabinet. It lights well and are easily concealed. For the lighting under the cabinets I normally use puck lights. To hide the wiring I make a 3/4" hollow cavity under the bottom shelf where I run the wires and attach the lights to a piece of 1/4" plywood tacked to the blocking under the shelf. Generally on the wall cabinets I make the bottom rail 3/4" to 1" wider when installing lighting to hide the fixtures.
post #3 of 3 Old 03-01-2014, 06:03 AM
Uncle Fester

View unclefester's Photo Album My Photos
I've used led tape lighting inside glass door cabinets attached to the vertical backside of the face frame. Keep in mind a transformer is needed but can be remotely located.

Kirsch lighting makes a reasonably priced under cabinet light fixture that can tucked behind a front light apron

Cut it twice, measure once and it's still too short.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode