Attaching Crown to Built-In - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 11-23-2011, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

View Thadius856's Photo Album My Photos
Attaching Crown to Built-In

Building a full-wall frame frame style bookcase that spans inside corner to inside corner. Was thinking about going with crown at the top, coling it to meet the other two walls.

Having trouble deciding height. Was thinking I'd place the top carcass piece so that its at the right height to nail the crown to the edge. But that's an awfully exacting height on wavy floors, walls and ceiling.

How can I cheat that? Lay a scrap piece or two of ply on top to act as a nailing strip?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-23-2011, 06:30 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thadius856 View Post
Building a full-wall frame frame style bookcase that spans inside corner to inside corner. Was thinking about going with crown at the top, coling it to meet the other two walls.

Having trouble deciding height. Was thinking I'd place the top carcass piece so that its at the right height to nail the crown to the edge. But that's an awfully exacting height on wavy floors, walls and ceiling.

How can I cheat that? Lay a scrap piece or two of ply on top to act as a nailing strip?
You could do it with a nailer. Or, cut a section and pre-mount the crown to it and just set it in place. If the crown is to finish close to the ceiling, the closer it is the more obvious an unlevel condition becomes.

post #3 of 4 Old 11-23-2011, 08:17 PM

View Hammer1's Photo Album My Photos
Run into that on kitchen cabinets all the time. Sometimes, there isn't enough room to allow the crown to overlap the cabinet for nailing. I make a backer, often out of pine as needed for the crown. Here are some pics. Makes for a nice solid connection.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crown backer 3.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	32322  

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 11-23-2011, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

View Thadius856's Photo Album My Photos
Interesting!

Spoke with a carpenter who recommended 1x stacked to whatever height I need.

Just decided against the crown. Would look funky with painted crown onto the stained bookcase.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode