Applying 1/4" maple plywood to walls - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 08-06-2013, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

View gowings's Photo Album My Photos
Applying 1/4" maple plywood to walls

I am applying 1/4" maple veneer plywood to a 6 foot long hallway (all walls are now 1/2" plywood), floor to ceiling. With maple moldings in the corners and the joints to hide seams. What's the best application method. I was thinking a thin bead of PL construction adhesive every 12" and brad nail the joints and corners where the molding will hide the brad nails. Also I would pin nail every 16".
Thanks for the advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-08-2013, 07:14 AM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
some depends on the chance that you may have to remove someday. but i would consider much like you, an adhesive and machanical fastener. I maybe would consider staples if you have a 1/4" crown stapler, they will hold the ply better than a brad.
post #3 of 10 Old 08-08-2013, 07:29 AM
wood hacker

View ihackwood's Photo Album My Photos
Stick the glue to the noard and pull the board away to let it breathe,

Make a couple of wedges to go from one wall to the next you won't use as many nails and will look better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 08-08-2013, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Great Idea Thanks.
I am using 1 1/4" moldings for the seams and corners. So hopefully filling nail holes is very minimal.
On a side note:
I have to trim out an entrance way with maple that is 4 5/8" wide jamb and I need 2" trim to cover that to hide the irregular opening after I shim it plumb. Any thought on how to accomplish this without using solid maple at a cost I figure of $150.00 plus
post #5 of 10 Old 08-09-2013, 10:33 PM

View chopnhack's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by gowings View Post
Great Idea Thanks.
I am using 1 1/4" moldings for the seams and corners. So hopefully filling nail holes is very minimal.
On a side note:
I have to trim out an entrance way with maple that is 4 5/8" wide jamb and I need 2" trim to cover that to hide the irregular opening after I shim it plumb. Any thought on how to accomplish this without using solid maple at a cost I figure of $150.00 plus
If this is the exterior of the entryway would the HO consider using a pvc trim? Not the cheapest either, but a good brick mold and a build up should hide at a reasonable cost. Kinda depends on the look you are trying to achieve. If it has to be stain grade consider poplar and work up a color using spray to control tone. If the opening is in stucco and you have a good hand for it, tack up some lathe with bead and finish closer to the opening and then use the smaller amount of maple to match.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-09-2013, 10:47 PM

View jharris2's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihackwood

Stick the glue to the noard and pull the board away to let it breathe,

Make a couple of wedges to go from one wall to the next you won't use as many nails and will look better.
The only thing I would add to this is to use as many boards as necessary and use sizable blocks between the boards and the plywood to distribute pressure as evenly as possible.

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did in his
sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.

Jack Handey
post #7 of 10 Old 08-10-2013, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopnhack View Post
If this is the exterior of the entryway would the HO consider using a pvc trim? Not the cheapest either, but a good brick mold and a build up should hide at a reasonable cost. Kinda depends on the look you are trying to achieve. If it has to be stain grade consider poplar and work up a color using spray to control tone. If the opening is in stucco and you have a good hand for it, tack up some lathe with bead and finish closer to the opening and then use the smaller amount of maple to match.
Interior doorway turned into a entrance way between 2 rooms. Now has no door and customer wants a maple look to it.
post #8 of 10 Old 08-10-2013, 09:18 PM

View chopnhack's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by gowings View Post
Interior doorway turned into a entrance way between 2 rooms. Now has no door and customer wants a maple look to it.
How about maple plywood with a small bead molding attached nearest the entryway and a larger bead molding attached toward the rear, that way you can create a large molding through a build up. Might be cheap especially if you have scrap maple ply.
post #9 of 10 Old 09-28-2013, 07:28 PM
Jack of too many trades..

View RepairmanJack's Photo Album My Photos
When I moved into my house (a 1927 Brick Craftsman), someone from the 1960s had *very* carefully cut, glued, and nailed dark plywood trim to the interior walls. It made the already small house feel like a cave. When I pulled the paneling off, it tore big chunks of plaster out of the walls due to heavy construction adhesive that was used. The pieces of original trim had been ripped off, or cut to accomodate this horror show.

Whatever the customer wants to do, try to be considerate towards someone who comes after that may disagree with the choice to panel the wall.

Were I in your position, I'd recommend a board-and-batten design, where thin strips of trim and nailed over the edge seams and on 16" centers to create a coffer-panel sort of design. 18ga staples should hold 1/4" on w/o trouble
post #10 of 10 Old 10-18-2013, 12:38 AM

View jason7's Photo Album My Photos
nice i bet that maple is going to look great

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode