Anyone have experience making glass cabinet doors? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 08-25-2014, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

View bauerbach's Photo Album My Photos
Anyone have experience making glass cabinet doors?

They are for an entertainment center, so glass is required as I do not want to run a repeater for everything.

should I just buy doors premade?

I estimate a door will cost me ~60/ea. I need 4 of them for the initial project. I figure $240 should easily buy me a router set to do the job, and then I can make doors forever.

but I believe the grill will require a mortise... which I am not experienced at and can only make with a chisel. Buying a mortiser machine would be another $300 that Id rather avoid.

Any tips? router sets that people have used with good results?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-25-2014, 11:49 PM
Ole Woodworker

View BigJim's Photo Album My Photos
If you plan to make your own doors and mullions for the glass you are going to have to put out a few bucks to do it. A good rail and stile set will run over $100, then you will need a pretty good router, I would recommend the Bosch 1617evspk
http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-1617EVSP.../dp/B00005RHPD
2 1/4 HP 1/2 inch collet and can be used in a router table or handheld plung.

You will need a mullion bit and a cutter like this one to make the joints to connect the mullions.
http://www.eagleamerica.com/product/...ndow_door_trim

It depends if you plan to make individual panes or one sheet of glass with add on mullions as to the difficulty and amount of work it will take to make the doors.

There are cheaper rail and stile sets on the market but I would advise buying as good as you can afford. The really cheap sets will not do well for you and won't last long and some will be out of balance and vibrate bad.

I don't care for cheaper tools but for a person not using them to make a living and using them every once in a while, the cheaper ones will get you by. But I have found the cheaper tools will work you harder to get a quality product. Some may not agree with me but this has been my experiences over the years.

http://www.diychatroom.com/
The Other
BigJim

If you do what you've always done, you will get what you've always got.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-26-2014, 08:22 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
If you get a cabinet door set all you have to do is make the door as though you were making a panel door and leave the panel out when assembling it. Then take a 3/8" rabbeting bit with a bearing and route the lip off of a back side. After routing I normally take a sharp chisel and square the corners and install the glass with strips of wood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 08-26-2014, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

I already have a router (PC 895), and Im getting a table to go with it. the theoretical $240 breakeven point only needs to cover the router bits.

That mullion cutter looks great, as it does not appear to require a mortise. And its plenty cheap. Any rail/stile bits that you've liked? Im not too picky about profile, ideally something "regular" so it would fit into most applications.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-26-2014, 02:58 PM
Ole Woodworker

View BigJim's Photo Album My Photos
If I were buying a set of cutters, I would go ahead and get the cutter for raised panels with the set as it will be cheaper that way. Here is a pretty good set:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...XFDH07DP3SNDWY

And not a bad price either.

http://www.diychatroom.com/
The Other
BigJim

If you do what you've always done, you will get what you've always got.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-26-2014, 05:30 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
No more often than you would probably make cabinet doors I would probably get a cheap set off ebay or amazon. I use a shaper with high speed steel knives to make cabinet doors and the set I have has made hundreds of doors. A carbide set, even a cheap one would last you the rest of your life and never have to sharpen it.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-27-2014, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

I might try the frued, seems like the bits are fairly flexible, so Im thinking I can use the stile cutter (minus the mortise tab) to cut the munion profile, and the coping cutter to profile the munion ends to the inverse profile of the rail/stile.

for stacking the munions, I would think I just route a 1/4" groove and then take a 45 degree bit and cut the miter. I think I have everything I need except the rail/stile bits... or I might get into it and need another odd or end.

thanks for the leads, we'll see where it goes.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-27-2014, 01:42 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
my glass kitchen cabinet doors

A simple mitered corner frame with splines in the corners and a rabbet on the back to support the glass. The glass is held in place with "Z" clips and small screws. You can also use a wood molding:
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/membe...chen-cabinets/

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode