advice on trimming a cabinet apron over sink - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 02-15-2012, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

View Bob the Painter's Photo Album My Photos
advice on trimming a cabinet apron over sink

You know the type, it has scallops, as a painter I am quite expert, but I need to cut this down, what it the best thing to do (other than call a trim carpenter, it is a tiny job). Jigsaw, I dunno.....

I have seen where guys have managed to wiggle it out, others have pushed it out with damage, seems like the best thing to do is get it off, cut it and put it back up. I know it is elementary but I am no expert on carpentry and am afraid I will screw up the job. It just looks so out dated. I know a place where they can make me something new but getting the damn thing out is the biggest issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-15-2012, 09:16 PM

View wooddude's Photo Album My Photos
well painter bob i think what u are describing is called a valance usually between two upper cabinets normally they are fastened from inside of the cabinets with either screws or nails,if screwed in place thats easy remove the screws,if nailed you may have to dig out the head of the nail i would use a pair of dikes to grip the head and pull far enouph out to get a hammer on it with one side removed you should be able to wiggle the other side out
post #3 of 7 Old 02-15-2012, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooddude View Post
well painter bob i think what u are describing is called a valance usually between two upper cabinets normally they are fastened from inside of the cabinets with either screws or nails,if screwed in place thats easy remove the screws,if nailed you may have to dig out the head of the nail i would use a pair of dikes to grip the head and pull far enouph out to get a hammer on it with one side removed you should be able to wiggle the other side out

Yeah, but look at the vertical attached. I swear I could see no screws nor nails.....but I will look again, but it looks odd with that vertical coming down on either side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 02-15-2012, 10:40 PM
No Longer Here

View MastersHand's Photo Album My Photos
Post a pic for us. Most likely a finished panel on sides of cabs and its screwed through that not visible from inside cab or they craiged and filled hole. Worst case borrow a Multi Master don't worry if you ding it up you know a good Painter to touch it up

Sent from my iPhone using Wood Forum
post #5 of 7 Old 02-16-2012, 08:24 AM

View wooddude's Photo Album My Photos
is there a nail block(or cleat)on the back side if so may be nailed thru the face in that case just pound off
post #6 of 7 Old 02-19-2012, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Got 'er done : )

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastersHand View Post
Post a pic for us. Most likely a finished panel on sides of cabs and its screwed through that not visible from inside cab or they craiged and filled hole. Worst case borrow a Multi Master don't worry if you ding it up you know a good Painter to touch it up

I did post, but I saw that it was an odd way of doing this, my friend came over and knocked the faceframe on that one wall cabinet over the stove and took it outside and cut it with a skill saw all the way across. Then we noticed that there were some wires to undermounted lights showing so we plan to find some rounded corner pieces and put them up. Went ahead and added a piece of base turned upside down to the top of the cabinets and to that we added crown. What is a fair way to pay a carpenter to do little jobs like this?
post #7 of 7 Old 02-19-2012, 02:08 PM
No Longer Here

View MastersHand's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob the Painter

I did post, but I saw that it was an odd way of doing this, my friend came over and knocked the faceframe on that one wall cabinet over the stove and took it outside and cut it with a skill saw all the way across. Then we noticed that there were some wires to undermounted lights showing so we plan to find some rounded corner pieces and put them up. Went ahead and added a piece of base turned upside down to the top of the cabinets and to that we added crown. What is a fair way to pay a carpenter to do little jobs like this?
Depends on how well ya know him. A Six Pack. Or if it's Serious $75 an Hour

Tags
over sink, scalloped wood, ugly

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode