adjustable drawer slides - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 19 Old 09-01-2011, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Not so new

View 12penny's Photo Album My Photos
adjustable drawer slides

Good morning all.

I'm in the design phase of a small pantry project. Currently just your typical pantry, more like a small closet with food in it.

My thoughts are to build a base cabinet 48" or so tall with pull out drawers/shelves. I'd like these drawers/shelves to be easily adjustable, up/down.

Now my question is, does anyone make a drawer slide that utilizes, oh say, shelf pin holes? Some way to make it easy for the home owner to change the depth of each pull out shelf. I've been thru the Blum catalog and didnt see anything. Not saying it isnt there, just didnt see it. Ideally, I'd like a heavy duty roller slide.

Thanks for your help.

Blake
The Following User Says Thank You to 12penny For This Useful Post:
Chrisayrescarpentry (08-29-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 09-01-2011, 10:00 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
I've had to do that in the past. Drawer slides have to be secure to the side of the cabinet, or some kind of framing. Shelf pin holes would allow too much free play.

What I did was to use ordinary 100 LB full extension slides and mount them to a strip of 3/4" wood 2" tall, and the length of the slide. I make a template for spacing, which is just a piece of pegboard or any substrate. I mark the bottom and front of the pegboard, and a left and right side to it.

I lay the template on the wood to get a layout for three holes front to back to mount the wood to the cabinet. I drill a hole through the wood at the three locations. The holes can be along the area above where the slide sits.

Then I pick the vertical adjustment intervals I want...could be every 2"-3", or whatever. Using the template on one side drill out the holes for each level of adjustment. Then just move it to the other side and do the same thing.

Then drill all the holes in the cabinet sides and drill the appropriate hole size for threaded inserts. With this layout the strip of wood with the slide attached can be moved with just three bolts. They could be hex head, or pan head/phillips, and washers. It seems like a fire drill to move them, but the average homeowner doesn't have a problem.

The Following User Says Thank You to cabinetman For This Useful Post:
Chrisayrescarpentry (08-29-2015)
post #3 of 19 Old 09-01-2011, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Not so new

Good idea c-man. I knew you'd have something.

Brings up a couple new questions, but let me do my research first.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 09-01-2011, 01:03 PM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
That does sound like a good idea but, unless I'm missing something, you will loose a 1-1/2" of drawer width.

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood
post #5 of 19 Old 09-01-2011, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Not so new

Undermount...havent had a chance to look yet. Maybe later.
post #6 of 19 Old 09-03-2011, 08:34 PM

View Bo Jake's Photo Album My Photos
Hey, good instructions cabinetman. I've never had this application before but it is a very interesting thought of craft. I looked at the process and wondered why would it be necessary to mount the extention slides to the 3/4" plywood strips? If you set the intervals for the threaded inserts directly on the cabinet sides to mount the slides to the cabinet instead, seems this would save a little space and less wood work. I may be over looking something, just a thought.
I do like your old school.
post #7 of 19 Old 09-03-2011, 08:54 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Jake View Post
Hey, good instructions cabinetman. I've never had this application before but it is a very interesting thought of craft. I looked at the process and wondered why would it be necessary to mount the extention slides to the 3/4" plywood strips? If you set the intervals for the threaded inserts directly on the cabinet sides to mount the slides to the cabinet instead, seems this would save a little space and less wood work. I may be over looking something, just a thought.
I do like your old school.
At the time I found that the bolts (machine screws) used for the threaded inserts have heads too large to fit the slides so there's no interference in movement. I didn't have the time or access to a variety of inserts or machine screw sizes. It's possible an 8-32 insert used with a flat head phillips machine screw may work, but I haven't tried it.

Using the strip of wood in conjunction with face frames, sets the slide out 3/4". When used with frameless cabinets, the drawer will clear the door when the door is at 90 degrees to the cabinet.

post #8 of 19 Old 11-24-2011, 04:13 PM

View awoodman's Photo Album My Photos
Adjustable slides for a pantry...Dado slots every couple inches and mount the dadoed strips toward the back of the cabinet and on the backside of the face frame...Mount slides to 3/4'' strips that slide into the dadoed strips...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tn_PIC_1786.jpg
Views:	1813
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	32345  

Name:	tn_PIC_1788.jpg
Views:	734
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	32346  

Name:	tn_PIC_1787.jpg
Views:	588
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	32347  

post #9 of 19 Old 12-03-2011, 02:44 PM
Rick

View DIY@home's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Adjustable slides for a pantry...Dado slots every couple inches and mount the dadoed strips toward the back of the cabinet and on the backside of the face frame...Mount slides to 3/4'' strips that slide into the dadoed strips...
So if I'm getting this right - you just remove the rollout, pull the 2 guides (mounted to the plywood strips) out of the slots and slide them in at the new height - no tools required.

Neat idea. How narrow a face frame can you get away with with this technique?

Cheers, Rick

"Experience is what you usually get when you were expecting something else"
post #10 of 19 Old 12-03-2011, 10:40 PM

View Gus Dering's Photo Album My Photos
Here is how we do the adjustable roll out trays. We use Blum Tandums with their under mount bracket and fasten them to a adjustable shelf. The shelf is kept from tipping forward with the locking shelf pins shown. If they are in a face frame cabinet, the frame keeps the shelf from sliding forward. In a frameless cabinet we put a couple screws up into the bottom of the shelf at the front clips.

I see that this is a picture of an old clip. The one we use is very similar but has a slot in the bench for the screw to lock it.

I have tried all types of different methods before this one and I find that this is by far the quickest and easiest way to handle this issue,

Name:  Cabinets_011.jpg
Views: 2947
Size:  58.5 KB

adjustable drawer slides-img_0884.jpg

Name:  Locking shelf clip.jpg
Views: 4185
Size:  19.7 KB
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gus Dering For This Useful Post:
mics_54 (12-04-2011), newbirdhunter (05-12-2013)
post #11 of 19 Old 12-04-2011, 06:43 AM

View awoodman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
So if I'm getting this right - you just remove the rollout, pull the 2 guides (mounted to the plywood strips) out of the slots and slide them in at the new height - no tools required.

Neat idea. How narrow a face frame can you get away with with this technique?

The face frame doesn't matter.. but on concealed hinges the bottom roll-out has to clear it so that can determine the width of you're drawer opening.
post #12 of 19 Old 12-04-2011, 07:04 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
"It seems like a fire drill to move them, but the average homeowner doesn't have a problem"

Are you sure of that? I am betting that the "average" homeowner does not have the tools to do that, let alone the intelligence.

Actually I cannot see the average homeowner being proficient with any type of moveable drawers.

George
The Following User Says Thank You to GeorgeC For This Useful Post:
newbirdhunter (04-30-2013)
post #13 of 19 Old 05-11-2015, 07:24 AM

View joey123's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
"It seems like a fire drill to move them, but the average homeowner doesn't have a problem"

Are you sure of that? I am betting that the "average" homeowner does not have the tools to do that, let alone the intelligence.

Actually I cannot see the average homeowner being proficient with any type of moveable drawers.

George
Geez.
This should be in a sticky.
I never thought of woodworkers having unbearably massive egos......until now.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. You misspelled 'movable'.
post #14 of 19 Old 05-11-2015, 10:32 AM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey123 View Post
Geez.

Nice first post. Welcome to the forum.
post #15 of 19 Old 05-23-2015, 11:44 PM

View Rebelwork's Photo Album My Photos
I just use these. Make adjustable holes in the sides as you would for adjustable shelves according to the specs of the sllde drawer spacer. This works for euro or framed cabinets. Will also clear concealed hinges.

http://www.cshardware.com/catalogsea...+drawer+spacer
Attached Images

Last edited by Rebelwork; 05-23-2015 at 11:46 PM.
post #16 of 19 Old 05-24-2015, 01:15 AM
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey123 View Post
Geez.

Ironic as just yesterday he was chastising someone for their long paragraphs.

The tools don't make the craftsman....
post #17 of 19 Old 05-24-2015, 02:32 AM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Did someone dig up a 4 year old dead thread just to chastise another member for being a bit of a jerk? Seems a little pointless to me, especially for a new members first post

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #18 of 19 Old 05-24-2015, 11:48 AM

View joey123's Photo Album My Photos
I'm ok with anyone not liking my first post. Don't worry. I don't frequent these things anyway.

I would like to put sliding drawers and shelves in cabinets drilled for adjustable shelves. I came upon this thread while looking for a better solution than the one I had. This link was the one result that actually had a few practical solutions with pictures rather than just a no-nothing useless description from bloggers looking for clicks.

The first page of my first visit to your community had an insult levied across the board at 'average homeowner'. The 'average homeowner' doesn't have the intelligence to remove a drawer and six screws for adjustment? I'd bet almost any school-age child could handle it with verbal instructions.

I'm under the impression the OP was referring to his customers adjusting the drawers, not the fabricating the system. "... It seems like a fire drill to move them, but the average homeowner doesn't have a problem."
post #19 of 19 Old 05-24-2015, 12:14 PM

View Rebelwork's Photo Album My Photos
joey123 like or disliking one's post can often be misread or written in such a way it is clearly misunderstood.

Sit back, do some searching,ask some questions and use the forum for its intended purpose. Eventually make some friends on here and contribute when you feel its helpful.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode