Adding wall block paneling with existing chair rail??? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 04-13-2011, 01:08 AM Thread Starter

View etsherman's Photo Album My Photos
Smile Adding wall block paneling with existing chair rail???

I will be adding wall block paneling to the lower portion of a dinning room that has an existing chair railing. I plan on using standard 1X4 material for the top, bottom and stiles with a cap panel molding to outline the panels. The existing dry wall will be the used for the panels.

When I place the top rail 1x4 up to the bottom of the chair rail it sticks out a bit (quite noticeably) to be honest and it will look better if the bottom of the chair rail that the 1x4 is touching projected out greater than 1x4.

Any ideas on a molding that I can add there to basically resolve this issue. The chair rail profile is pretty standard builder's quality nothing real fancy, etc.

Thanks,

ET Sherman

Last edited by etsherman; 04-13-2011 at 01:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-13-2011, 06:24 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I would just remove the builders chair rail and do everything from scratch.

George
post #3 of 8 Old 04-13-2011, 07:20 AM
The village amadán.

View Mr Mac's Photo Album My Photos
First off, welcome to the forum!

As for your question, I too would just remove the old chair rail and start fresh without it. You can always replace that chair rail with a cap rail made from the same 1X4 ripped down to a 1X2...endless possibilities!

But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. James 3:17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-13-2011, 07:59 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos

You could machine a top edge profile to the top rail that would taper the wood to not be pronounced. Or, just add another moulding to the underside that has compatible edge thickness to both thicknesses.

post #5 of 8 Old 04-13-2011, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all for the welcome and replies to my question.

Actually removing the existing chair rail was my first thought but it was installed pretty well and I'm sure I will probably damage the dry wall trying to get it off.

I think I was using an incorrect piece of stock to butt up against the existing chair rail for testing. The actual size of the 1x4 will be (3/4 x 3 1/2) so I used a strip of 3/4 molding instead to see how it would fit as far as thickness (see attached photo). Looks like it's less than 1/8 difference between the bottom of the existing chair rail and the thickness of the 1x4.

Although cabinetman's suggestion of adding a molding to the underside with compatible thickness is what I was probably going to do ... I can live with the 1/8 difference. Once painted, it will blend in with the other panel and wall components. Plus the overall profile of the chair rail (top) will still project beyond the 1x4 paneling.

ET Sherman
Attached Images

Last edited by etsherman; 04-13-2011 at 02:03 PM. Reason: additional comments
post #6 of 8 Old 04-13-2011, 02:48 PM
Scotty D

View mdntrdr's Photo Album My Photos
Round over the top of the 1x4, should fade fairly well.

Scott
OH, wait a minute ............Yep!.............That's what he said!

"Like" us on facebook
www.ScottyDsWoodworks.com
Watch Our YouTube Video
The Following User Says Thank You to mdntrdr For This Useful Post:
etsherman (04-14-2011)
post #7 of 8 Old 04-14-2011, 02:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdntrdr View Post
Round over the top of the 1x4, should fade fairly well.
Thanks mdntrdr ... I'm a weekend DIY and have been looking for a reason to by a router.

That will make it blend in pretty nicely without having to add the additional molding which would have basically accomplished the same thing.

ET
post #8 of 8 Old 04-26-2011, 07:43 PM

View DannyT's Photo Album My Photos
I would remove the chair rail after marking the top of it. Build your panels and reinstall the chair rail after. you could make the top rail wide enough so you could put the chair rail flush with the top when you reinstall it.

Tags
block paneling, chair rail

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode