9 foot tall interior doors - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 04-09-2012, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

View cfullen's Photo Album My Photos
9 foot tall interior doors

I am installing a trim package that has 9' tall solid poplar stiles and rails with MDF raised panels. These doors are very heavy, at least 120lbs each. They are pre-hung in finger joint poplar with 4 heavy duty ball bearing hinges. After installing the 8ft doors on the second floor (built the same way), the doors swelled a great deal and I didn't have much adjustment due to the fact that I shimmed the doors at the hinges. I think that I am going to have to take some out of the hinge sides after its all said and done. Should I leave the shims out of these doors and trust the casing to hold these beasts in place???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-09-2012, 12:17 PM

View NivekD's Photo Album My Photos
With doors that heavy I would make sure the hinge side jamb is VERY secure to the rough opening. Don't make the casing take all that weight.
post #3 of 10 Old 04-09-2012, 12:18 PM

View tcleve4911's Photo Album My Photos
Absolutely not.......
Never use the casings to support ANY doors.
Use 3-4" screws through the hinges and directly into the framing.

....hope this helps and that I understood your question....

Tom

Learning more about tools everyday
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 04-09-2012, 12:21 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Question

Can you gain enough by removing the shims and use long 3" screws into the studs? I wouldn't trust the poplar casings much personally. You can possibly use 2 thinner shims or a piece of 1/16" ply to fit exactly behind each hinge where needed. The 4 b-b hinges should be very adequate. bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #5 of 10 Old 04-09-2012, 04:47 PM

View SteveEl's Photo Album My Photos
Are we talking shims between the hinge plate and the casing, or between the stud and the casing at the level of the hinge?

If they're between the casing and the studs, then methinks you either need to reduce the relative humidity of the place or plane the edges of the doors (and recut the mortise depth)
post #6 of 10 Old 04-09-2012, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

I was referring to the shims I put between the jamb and the cripple. I split them on top and bottom of the hinges so that I can have small adjustibility later via a couple screws under the hinge. I have hinged deeper in the past to make doors shut properly. I actually spoke with the door supplier today and he told me that shims were not necessary just so long as I came back later with a few long ass screws.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-09-2012, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Also, the relative humidity in this house is quite low. The general contractor has been running a de-humidifier since the walls were closed up.
post #8 of 10 Old 04-09-2012, 05:37 PM

View SteveEl's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfullen View Post
The general contractor has been running a de-humidifier since the walls were closed up.

That's great, of course... were the doors exposed to a high RH, as measured by a meter? Were they stored in the house before it was closed? Were they there when anymud went on?

Since they swelled, there's been a change somewhere along the line. Without air circ a dehumid unit in this room over here might take a long time to make a difference to a door in the far end of the house, especially if the mudders have been in the place recently. If (or once) the little needle or digital RH meter says your doors are in happy air space, they may need time to shrink again.
post #9 of 10 Old 04-10-2012, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Truthfully I hadn't even been upstairs in the house for a couple of weeks yesterday when I wrote the thread. I went up today to be pleasantly surprised to find that the doors had shrunk up a little and seem that they will be a breeze to adjust once the humidity in the house is at an ambient temperature and rh. These doors are large and in charge. Definitely kicking the ass of myself and my crew.
post #10 of 10 Old 04-12-2012, 11:58 AM

View jessrj's Photo Album My Photos
You have to shim behind the jamb, especially with doors that big. Make sure the doors have had time to adjust to the house climate and moisture content.

Sharpened Multimaster Blades
www.mmbladesaver.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode