1st Cabinet build - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 04-30-2019, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

View GSXRFanIM's Photo Album My Photos
1st Cabinet build

So I am building some kitchen cabinets for my in laws and I measured a wall to put up a custom 4 door cabinet.
After thinking about it I probably should have built two 24" wide cabinets and fastened them together but I wanted these 54"

My question is.
At the center point (27") I made the faceframe 3" and everything else 1 1/2"
There will be shelves inside with shelf pins so I was thinking to double up my center divider from 3/4" to 1 1/2" so that I wouldn't have a single 3/4" piece of wood with shelf pin holes on each side.

Does that sound correct to do or should it be OK with a single 3/4" piece in the center of this 54" wide cabinet?

Or am I wasting my time laminating two 3/4" pieces of ply together for that center support?

Thanks All
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-30-2019, 12:23 PM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRFanIM View Post
So I am building some kitchen cabinets for my in laws and I measured a wall to put up a custom 4 door cabinet.
After thinking about it I probably should have built two 24" wide cabinets and fastened them together but I wanted these 54"

My question is.
At the center point (27") I made the faceframe 3" and everything else 1 1/2"
There will be shelves inside with shelf pins so I was thinking to double up my center divider from 3/4" to 1 1/2" so that I wouldn't have a single 3/4" piece of wood with shelf pin holes on each side.

Does that sound correct to do or should it be OK with a single 3/4" piece in the center of this 54" wide cabinet?

Or am I wasting my time laminating two 3/4" pieces of ply together for that center support?

Thanks All
Trying to follow, but I think you are asking if you need a double partition in the center of a 54" long cabinet? Sounds like maybe it is a wall cabinet?

No reason to double up if it is a 54" wide wall cabinet, no reason to make the stile in the center wider either, that will look odd, IMO. You might check that 1 1/2" affords you enought space for hinges and door clearance though.
post #3 of 11 Old 04-30-2019, 01:49 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I don't like big, heavy, and wide cabinets ......

My plan would have been to make the unit in 2 identical pieces, easier to build, move and hang. The back is typically recessed in a dado all around the perimeter, but you are wider than 48", so standard plywood is not wide enough at 53", more or less.

Probably too late at this point, but another center section would add more weight on one hand, but not really that much more strength for pin holes.
The 3" wide center strip will look "odd" in my view also. I would cut a "fake" 1/8" deep center line to divide it up visually.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 04-30-2019, 04:26 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
The pins are made for 3/4" material. They should only go in about 3/8" so you could have the holes go all the way through and the pins would work.

If it were me I would have made the center stile 1 1/2" as well.

It may look odd that everything else is 1 1/2" and the center partitions is 3". Opps, copying woodenthing again. I have a tendency of not reading other members posts.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-30-2019, 05:12 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
If he runs a grove down the middle of the 3" stile, will not that make it look like 2 cabinets with al 1/ 1/2" stiles?

George
post #6 of 11 Old 04-30-2019, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

View GSXRFanIM's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
If he runs a grove down the middle of the 3" stile, will not that make it look like 2 cabinets with al 1/ 1/2" stiles?

George
Thanks George, I think I will do that to the center.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-30-2019, 05:36 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
That's what I said .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post

The 3" wide center strip will look "odd" in my view also. I would cut a "fake" 1/8" deep center line to divide it up visually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post

George

Yup, that's what I said.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #8 of 11 Old 04-30-2019, 06:51 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Sometimes great minds think alike. 😊

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
post #9 of 11 Old 04-30-2019, 07:03 PM

View gmercer_48083's Photo Album My Photos
GSXRFanIM, Perhaps if you post a drawing, it might help eliminate misunderstandings.

Gary
post #10 of 11 Old 05-01-2019, 11:33 AM

View unburled's Photo Album My Photos
I'd be concerned about tear out if drilling all the way through your plywood. Drill from half way from each side. If you need more than 3/8" depth, just shift the column of holes 3/8" either way.

Kerouac, J.
"to the joyful chaos of uncontrolled appetites ..." Claire Armistad, writing on the late Judith Kerr's The Tiger Who Came to Tea
post #11 of 11 Old 05-02-2019, 08:56 AM

View Frost's Photo Album My Photos
When I need to drill for pins from both sides, I just stagger the holes a bit so they don't line up. Elevation is the same, but distance from FF to hole is different. Say , back 1 1/4 on one side, 1 3/4 on the other, same with the back ones. No one will know but you.

As for making one long cabinet rather than screwing together 2 smaller ones, I like one longer one. Big shops do things in increments so they need standard sizes, but smaller custom operations (me) can make any size we want, limited by plywood length somewhat. I rethink this a bit now as I'm getting old and lifting is becoming an issue, but if I can find someone to help carry it into the house, I'll make an 8' base cabinet, no seams in FF, easy install.

Good luck with your project

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode