1/2" Overlay Hinges for Thicker Face Frame - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 03-10-2018, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

View Curmudgeon10's Photo Album My Photos
1/2" Overlay Hinges for Thicker Face Frame

My daughter bought a house, and the kitchen cabinets have a 7/8" thick face frame, with 1/2" overlay doors. The hinges, currently, are "long arm" types (basically intended for frameless applications), which protrude back from the face frame into the cabinet. I'm not sure what has caused their functionality to deteriorate (as I am on the other coast from her kitchen) but she needs to replace them. Some are loose, screws have been stripped out etc.

She's after a compact Euro hinge that would work on her thicker face frame. Everything Rockler stocks other than the long arms is tabbed to fit 3/4" face frames. Anyone know of a compact Euro, 1/2" overlay, that would work with the 7/8" face frame?

I suppose in desperation, we could just acquire the 3/4" items, and grind off or bend flush the rear tab (??)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-10-2018, 08:03 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon10 View Post
My daughter bought a house, and the kitchen cabinets have a 7/8" thick face frame, with 1/2" overlay doors. The hinges, currently, are "long arm" types (basically intended for frameless applications), which protrude back from the face frame into the cabinet. I'm not sure what has caused their functionality to deteriorate (as I am on the other coast from her kitchen) but she needs to replace them. Some are loose, screws have been stripped out etc.

She's after a compact Euro hinge that would work on her thicker face frame. Everything Rockler stocks other than the long arms is tabbed to fit 3/4" face frames. Anyone know of a compact Euro, 1/2" overlay, that would work with the 7/8" face frame?

I suppose in desperation, we could just acquire the 3/4" items, and grind off or bend flush the rear tab (??)
I just did that yesterday with some Blum N38 hinges. I just took a pair of pliers and bent the rear tab out.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-11-2018, 06:33 AM

View FishFactory's Photo Album My Photos
I may be wrong but I think I just saw them in the woodworkers hardware catalog. Believe they were Blum hinges.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 03-11-2018, 07:36 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
" I'm not sure what has caused their functionality to deteriorate (as I am on the other coast from her kitchen) but she needs to replace them. Some are loose, screws have been stripped out etc."

What do you mean my loose?

You do not replace hinges because screws are stripped.

Have you at least seen a picture of these hinges? I think you may be asking for your daughter to have trouble if you try to work this problem with no more information than you have presented.

George
post #5 of 6 Old 04-01-2018, 04:22 PM

View ibelimitless's Photo Album My Photos
There's a blum 1/2" overlay compact euro that's designed for edge mounting, which means you can use them with any thickness lumber. I buy them from Richelieu as I have one locally. The part number through them is 38N355BE08180. That's for the soft close version also.
I have also bent the rear tab back with needle nose pliers without an issue as well.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-09-2018, 02:55 PM

View Echo415's Photo Album My Photos
I know this thread is a month old but...Why not call Blum directly?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode