4Likes
  • 1 Post By DesertRatTom
  • 1 Post By Tool Agnostic
  • 1 Post By Mark Jones Ozark
  • 1 Post By Larry Schweitzer

post #1 of 13 Old 10-31-2019, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

View Funnycar1139's Photo Album My Photos
Wooden Toy Pattern Books

My name is Tony and I'm 80 but I'm a newbie here. I have been a woodworker most of my life. I golf all summer and I've decided than I 'm going to get serious work working this winter. Here's my problem. I used to make wooden toys (only in hardwoods). I had about 20 pattern sets kept on luan plywood. In the course of our last move I lost, misplaced, or threw away the patterns. I have look all over the internet for the books that I originally got these from. If I knew how to upload pictures I would send some examples of what I'm trying to find. If anyone can help me, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-31-2019, 03:23 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Check out some of these:
http://absolutelyfreeplans.com/kids.html

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
The Following User Says Thank You to FrankC For This Useful Post:
Funnycar1139 (11-01-2019)
post #3 of 13 Old 10-31-2019, 03:31 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnycar1139 View Post
If I knew how to upload pictures I would send some examples of what I'm trying to find. If anyone can help me, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Tony
Welcome to the forum, Tony! Add your location to your profile so it shows in the side panel.

To add photos I usually click on 'Go Advanced' under the Quick Reply window and then choose the paper clip to browse to your photos. Once you've uploaded the photos you can hit the dropdown arrow beside the paper clip and insert the photos where you want.

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
The Following User Says Thank You to difalkner For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 10-31-2019, 06:35 PM

View mjadams61's Photo Album My Photos
post #5 of 13 Old 10-31-2019, 06:37 PM

View mjadams61's Photo Album My Photos
These cost ya.

https://cherrytreetoys.com/toyplans/

Marlin
The Following User Says Thank You to mjadams61 For This Useful Post:
post #6 of 13 Old 10-31-2019, 10:26 PM

View DesertRatTom's Photo Album My Photos
I found a lot of toy and windtoys and whirligig books on Amazon by searching for used books. They were pretty moderately priced and a few had paper patterns you could take to Stables and have enlarged if you wished. The used books were really cheap, but often took a few days to weeks to arrive. Apparently the used book stores, and places like Goodwill that get donated books, list them on Amazon for sale. I've built a great woodworking library that way for not much money.
mjadams61 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to DesertRatTom For This Useful Post:
post #7 of 13 Old 11-01-2019, 12:26 PM

View AwesomeOpossum74's Photo Album My Photos
Definitely hit your local used book stores, and GoodWill/thrift. I filled out all but a few of my woodworking "idea" books from local used/thrift. Just about left nothing for anyone else.
The Following User Says Thank You to AwesomeOpossum74 For This Useful Post:
post #8 of 13 Old 11-02-2019, 09:10 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Is there a woodworking club near you? Many clubs have toy making programs for hospitalized children and children in need. The clubs are usually happy to share their toy patterns.
mjadams61 likes this.
post #9 of 13 Old 11-02-2019, 03:32 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
To be quite honest I think most kids today have become so sophisticated at such a very young age using their gadgets that they are not that interested in something as basic as wooden toys.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #10 of 13 Old 11-08-2019, 06:23 PM
Mark Jones Ozark

View Mark Jones Ozark's Photo Album My Photos
My grandkids playwith wooden blocks still. Build all kinds of things with them. I feel sorry for the kids that only have a laptop or ipad or device like that. To be honest I think they are at a disadvantage. Their motor skills and social skills are behind in a lot of ways. Having some of both is a good balance. I think some of the best time we can give our kids is to shut off the tv and computer and tell them to go outside and play. I see kids playing on ipads and computers every day in my work of 40 years going into peoples homes installing broadband services. Sometimes being hi tech is a setback. Sometimes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankC View Post
To be quite honest I think most kids today have become so sophisticated at such a very young age using their gadgets that they are not that interested in something as basic as wooden toys.
AwesomeOpossum74 likes this.
post #11 of 13 Old 11-11-2019, 05:36 PM
Mark Jones Ozark

We also have a western theme in our Church Scouting type program. We have made several sets of 30 to 40 rubber band guns. Even the high schoolers want their own custom gun. From shot guns to Winchesters to darengers they love them.
Yup have to lay down some rules and keep safety in front of them. Yet they enjoy them.

I jig them up so the boys can help make them. When I say Jig that means keep the blades from being exposed while making them. Set it up so the board can only go one way and their hands can't go that way. Takes some tricks to make that happen but generally it's doable.

Before labor laws the 10 year old boys were running major manufacturing processes. Chopping wood, Hunting and doing all kinds of man specific jobs. Working them kids 12 hour days was what ruined it for them. It wasn't the boys couldn't do the work it just stole their childhood from them. Working with boys in the scouting program for the past 30 years with the right supervision these boys can do work safely. Having said that. I still watch very carefully and some things I don't want them doing like jointing boards.

The boys like making things. I wished our schools went back to more hands on stuff that the boys can do.
post #12 of 13 Old 11-11-2019, 08:26 PM

View Larry Schweitzer's Photo Album My Photos
I'm retired now also. Long ago I made wooden toys for a living. (Skinny living!) I just drew some ideas on paper, made sure they would be safe, no metal, no sharp protrusions, all corners rounded over, strong & durable. Make a prototype, test to make sure you can make it with the tools you have and that it is durable. Then make a pattern with notes on it. If you are going to make multiples see if you can jig it for things like drilling. Be smart about your jigs so they can simply be dropped into place and no further setup (fooling around) is required to change products. A bandsaw will probably be one of your major tools. Go to
. For the best information on setting up & using a bandsaw. Sanding is always one of the least enjoyable operations. I would make my designs to fit the tools (sanders) I had. I had 2 Sears 6 X 48" sanders, one for coarse one for fine. As they came they weren't very good quality but a machine shop did some work on them for me and then they were fine. I also had a MAX spindle sander that allowed me to make things with more intricate curves. I'll see if I can upload some photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Decked bus.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	321.3 KB
ID:	380541  

Name:	Motor grader.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	194.7 KB
ID:	380543  

Name:	Truck.jpg
Size:	247.5 KB
ID:	380545  

Name:	Tractor & wagon.jpg
Size:	198.7 KB
ID:	380547  

Tool Agnostic likes this.
post #13 of 13 Old 11-12-2019, 08:23 AM
Mark Jones Ozark

Excellent work. My grandson has a bunch of all kind of wooded toys. He had one out this weekend at the church playing with it. (He got in trouble for hurling it...but he is all boy) Still works even being hurled many times over. I can't say the same for the plastic box they had the plastic animals in. It got a jump on and shattered...

Toys are fun wood working projects. I have seen men have collections like yours of all kinds of things they made. Great woodworking and fun and challenging. Make them too nice and I wouldn't want to hand it to the grand kids...GRIN!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode