10Likes
  • 3 Post By Steve Neul
  • 4 Post By difalkner
  • 1 Post By NoThankyou
  • 2 Post By FrankC

post #1 of 18 Old 01-15-2019, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

View WesTex's Photo Album My Photos
Ted’s Woodworking

Requesting Moderator attention to Ted’s Woodworking spam on the General Woodworking site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-15-2019, 10:07 AM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Got it, thanks!

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #3 of 18 Old 08-12-2019, 03:00 AM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Interesting that his name has been prominently displayed for at least six months, can't beat that for good advertising.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 08-12-2019, 08:37 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I never saw it!

Another reason to user an Adblocker, mine is Adblocker + for Firefox.
No ads. zero, none......

I don't buy anything based on an ad, so I don't feel bad as I would never be a customer. I know how to search for stuff I need so that how I shop.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #5 of 18 Old 08-12-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
No ads. zero, none......

I don't buy anything based on an ad, so I don't feel bad as I would never be a customer. I know how to search for stuff I need so that how I shop.
Are you saying that under Forum Support you do not see his name next to Woodworkingtalk.com News?

It is not an ad it is a thread title.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
post #6 of 18 Old 08-12-2019, 12:55 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankC View Post
Interesting that his name has been prominently displayed for at least six months, can't beat that for good advertising.
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
No ads. zero, none......

@FrankC was referring to the title of this thread. He was also referring to the people who post links to the "Thousands of Plans" scams. Don't click on those links. FrankC was not referring to the web ads and banners that appear around the website content.

@woodnthings: Websites like this one get their funding from ads. An ad blocker reduces the money available to pay for websites like this one.

I object to advertisements that do anything more than display a static ad, just like in a magazine. I seriously object to advertisements that automatically play audio, play video, or run active content (programs). I don't mind displayed links for me to click, but don't run anything active without my okay. Okay?

For a long time, the only ad blocker that I ran was was a minimal one in my firewall to intercept malware (viruses, etc.). Unfortunately, advertisers keep finding ways to get around my filters, so I was forced to install more active ad blocking, much more than I want. I don't like it, and I know that it hurts the websites that I value.

Someday I want to tweak my filters to allow more non-objectionable ads, but that's a lot of work on my part with little direct benefit. It gets bumped down below higher priority tasks.

I used to hope that websites would push back against such aggressive advertising, to set expectations and establish reasonable limits on behavior, but it never materialized. Money talks. Small websites like WoodworkingTalk have no power to alter the reality of the web advertising landscape. They wind up as "collateral damage" when people like woodnthings and me feel compelled to install ad blockers.

... and we have not even mentioned tracking yet.
post #7 of 18 Old 08-12-2019, 01:38 PM

My point was that when people see his name everyday it becomes familiar, then when they see an ad by him or one of his minions it is legit in their minds so they happily click on it and get sucked in when they find out what he is all about.

Who has not thought to themselves, 'Oh, that company, yeh I know of them", when in reality they know nothing about them.

― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
post #8 of 18 Old 08-12-2019, 03:16 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Personally because of the title I wouldn't mind getting rid of this thread.
post #9 of 18 Old 08-12-2019, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankC View Post
My point was that when people see his name everyday it becomes familiar, then when they see an ad by him or one of his minions it is legit in their minds so they happily click on it and get sucked in when they find out what he is all about.

Who has not thought to themselves, 'Oh, that company, yeh I know of them", when in reality they know nothing about them.
Maybe, but if they find and read this thread, they will learn that it is a scam.
post #10 of 18 Old 08-12-2019, 04:46 PM

Don't forget, A scam with a free virus. I've gotten several trying to find out who it is so I know whether to ban them or not.
post #11 of 18 Old 08-12-2019, 05:17 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
We can edit the title to say "Scam & Virus site - Ted's woodworking"

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #12 of 18 Old 08-12-2019, 10:26 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I would use this .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by difalkner View Post
We can edit the title to say "Scam & Virus site - Ted's woodworking"

David

Ted's Woodworking Plans, a spam and virus site

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #13 of 18 Old 08-12-2019, 10:34 PM

I don't know if it's the chatter but I've had to remove two of his posts today.
post #14 of 18 Old 08-13-2019, 12:58 AM
Ancient Termite

View NoThankyou's Photo Album My Photos
It is worse than a spam and virus site.

"Ted" accumulated all kinds of plans from all over the internet and where ever. "Ted" is running what appears to be a MLM (Multi Level Marketing) program for suckers. 'You sell the CDs and receive a commission'. If you step back and look at it, you're spending all the effort and money to market while "Ted" does nothing except collect $$$.

The really amazing part of "Ted" is the universal hatred of "Ted" across woodworking forums, world wide.
Tool Agnostic likes this.

Rich
In furniture 1/32" is a Grand Canyon
post #15 of 18 Old 08-13-2019, 08:15 AM
Ole Woodworker

View BigJim's Photo Album My Photos
He is on Pinterest (or how ever it is spelled) also, just real sneaky on there.

http://www.diychatroom.com/
The Other
BigJim

If you do what you've always done, you will get what you've always got.
post #16 of 18 Old 08-13-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
He is on Pinterest (or how ever it is spelled) also, just real sneaky on there.
Yes, really have to be careful not to end up promoting him.
BigJim and NoThankyou like this.

― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
post #17 of 18 Old 08-13-2019, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
I don't know if it's the chatter but I've had to remove two of his posts today.
A spam post appeared in a thread this morning, and it showed that it had been edited later. I wondered whether the poster had gone back to re-insert the link. The entire post was gone later in the day.

I do not object to people posting links to stuff. Heck, I do it all the time. Posting links helps others understand what you are talking about, and shows them where to find what they need to accomplish their goals.

I object when the link is there for spam only, and it is plainly obvious that the post is spam. Speaking only for myself, I don't like it when the site deletes the links but leaves the irrelevant post. They just clutter up the flow in the thread.

-> In my opinion, posting an obvious spam link - "best tool" websites, "best review" websites, Ted, etc. should result in immediate deletion of the entire post and deletion of the account. KISS.

These people know what they are doing, and they will take advantage of any forbearance you give them. As soon as you see their spam, you know they are not here to discuss woodworking.

-> Spam posts are obvious. I think most people here can tell the difference between spam and regular posts, and I believe that accidental deletions would be extremely rare, if it ever happens. The moderators are cautious to avoid the appearance of censorship, but I encourage them to trust their instincts and delete more of the spam posts.

I object to the new members who try to set up spamming with their first five posts like "I'm here to learn about what you do." "Me too!" "Nice work!" "Good Job" etc. Sometimes I reply and ask them about their woodworking interests.

In the future, it may be very difficult to distinguish real people from spammers and spam bots. Right now on WoodworkingTalk, it isn't.

Last edited by Tool Agnostic; 08-13-2019 at 06:58 PM.
post #18 of 18 Old 08-13-2019, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Agnostic View Post
A spam post appeared in a thread this morning, and it showed that it had been edited later. I wondered whether the poster had gone back to re-insert the link. The entire post was gone later in the day.

I do not object to people posting links to stuff. Heck, I do it all the time. Posting links helps others understand what you are talking about, and shows them where to find what they need to accomplish their goals.

I object when the link is there for spam only, and it is plainly obvious that the post is spam. Speaking only for myself, I don't like it when the site deletes the links but leaves the irrelevant post. They just clutter up the flow in the thread.

-> In my opinion, posting an obvious spam link - "best tool" websites, "best review" websites, Ted, etc. should result in immediate deletion of the entire post and deletion of the account. KISS.

These people know what they are doing, and they will take advantage of any forbearance you give them. As soon as you see their spam, you know they are not here to discuss woodworking.

-> Spam posts are obvious. I think most people here can tell the difference between spam and regular posts, and I believe that accidental deletions would be extremely rare, if it ever happens. The moderators are cautious to avoid the appearance of censorship, but I encourage them to trust their instincts and delete more of the spam posts.

I object to the new members who try to set up spamming with their first five posts like "I'm here to learn about what you do." "Me too!" "Nice work!" "Good Job" etc. Sometimes I reply and ask them about their woodworking interests.

In the future, it may be very difficult to distinguish real people from spammers and spam bots. Right now on WoodworkingTalk, it isn't.
The forum has software where they can list a link that isn't allowed and from then on it will alter the link where it doesn't work. This guy has people all over the world spaming this site so when a new one shows up we add it to the block list. At one time I was keeping track of the posts. I banned two from Pakistan, two from Vietnam, one from Iceland, one from Grease, one from Nigeria, one from Japan, one from India and nine from the US.

Probably who ever posted the ted spam noticed the link didn't work and edited the post to try something else.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode