Suspicious Connection Blocked message - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tool Agnostic

post #1 of 10 Old 01-09-2020, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

View Tom-G's Photo Album My Photos
Suspicious Connection Blocked message

Admins -

FYI - This evening, while logged into the forum (Win10 machine & Chrome browser) I started receiving many, many messages from my security software as follows. Two or three messages for each occurence are being generated. The forum is the only website I'm on. No other browser tabs are open.

Online Threat Prevention

chrome.exe attempted to establish a connection relying on an unmatching security certificate to www.vbtoucan.com. We blocked the connection to keep your data safe since the used certificate was issued for a different web address than the targeted one.

Thanks,
Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-13-2020, 05:11 PM
Administrator

View admin's Photo Album My Photos
Still getting this? VBToucan is us, it's our version of the main software the forum uses. If the cert went down for a little bit, it might have self corrected

Kevin
post #3 of 10 Old 01-13-2020, 07:35 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Something is wrong with VBToucan and its website.

If I go to the un-secure website, I see a "Ford Escape.org" forum. The address bar reads "www.vbtoucan.com"

Here is the un-secure website URL: http://www.vbtoucan.com

If I go to the secure website, I get a certificate error warning. The certificate is a Let's Encrypt certificate issued to "email.gcpdev.hystersisters.com" which does not match the URL, hence the warning. The certificate was issued 3 January 2020 and expires 3 months later. (That's what Let's Encrypt does.)

Here is the "Secure" website URL: https://www.vbtoucan.com
If you add the certificate as trusted (NOT RECOMMENDED!), then it takes you to the same Ford Escape forum website.

I scanned both URLs with VirusTotal and got "Clean" results, which surprises me because of the certificate error.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 01-14-2020, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

Hi Kevin,

As of right now, I'm still getting the security message.

TA- thanks for researching the issue.

Tom
post #5 of 10 Old 01-16-2020, 04:44 PM
Administrator

I've tried making some adjustments to the site templates. Any change?

Kevin
post #6 of 10 Old 01-17-2020, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Hi Kevin,

I just logged in on my Win 10 machine. As soon as I clicked on "Site Help and Suggestions" I received the the 2 error messages below. One is that same as I already reported, and now a new one too: data.circulate.com
Suspicious connection blocked
now

Feature:
Online Threat Prevention

chrome.exe attempted to establish a connection relying on an expired certificate to data.circulate.com. We blocked the connection to keep your data safe since web pages must renew their certificates with a certification authority to stay current, and outdated security certificates represent a risk.
and
one minute ago

Feature:
Online Threat Prevention

chrome.exe attempted to establish a connection relying on an unmatching security certificate to www.vbtoucan.com. We blocked the connection to keep your data safe since the used certificate was issued for a different web address than the targeted one.
Tom
post #7 of 10 Old 01-18-2020, 01:14 AM
Ancient Termite

View NoThankyou's Photo Album My Photos
I'm using W-10 with Edge, protected by Norton. No issue.

Rich
In furniture 1/32" is a Grand Canyon
post #8 of 10 Old 01-19-2020, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

I just logged into the forum with Microsoft Edge and get the same error message. Bitdefender Total Security is issuing the message.

now

Feature:
Online Threat Prevention

MicrosoftEdgeCP.exe attempted to establish a connection relying on an unmatching security certificate to www.vbtoucan.com. We blocked the connection to keep your data safe since the used certificate was issued for a different web address than the targeted
Tom
post #9 of 10 Old 01-19-2020, 08:32 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThankyou View Post
I'm using W-10 with Edge, protected by Norton. No issue.
I just looked with Windows 10 with the Edge browser. Go to:
https://vbtoucan.com

You should see an error message that reads: "This site is not secure. This might mean that someoneís trying to fool you or steal any info you send to the server. You should close this site immediately."

-> Do what they say. Don't continue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-G View Post
I just logged into the forum with Microsoft Edge and get the same error message. Bitdefender Total Security is issuing the message.

now

Feature:
Online Threat Prevention

MicrosoftEdgeCP.exe attempted to establish a connection relying on an unmatching security certificate to www.vbtoucan.com. We blocked the connection to keep your data safe since the used certificate was issued for a different web address than the targeted
Tom
You are getting the warning because there is a problem on the WoodworkingTalk website, which is bringing in content from VBToucan. The VBToucan server is misconfigured. It presents a certificate for a secure connection, but the certificate is the wrong one, and your software is doing its job and detecting the error.

As I said above, the certificate for the vbtoucan.com website is for "email.gcpdev.hystersisters.com", issued by Let's Encrypt, which is a free certificate authority service. We already learned from @admin that "VBToucan is us." As far as I can tell, nothing has changed at VBToucan since my previous post.

The fixes are simple, but must be done by the WoodworkingTalk admins:

1. WoodworkingTalk could stop driving connections to VBToucan for whatever content it gets from there. Are they ads?
or
2. WoodworkingTalk could drive connections to the VBToucan server under a different name that presents the correct matching certificate. The host server "email.gcpdev.hystersisters.com" has the same IP address as "vbtoucan.com". Could it be as simple (and ugly!) as that?
or
3. VBToucan could replace its certificate with one that matches the VBToucan.com name. If VBToucan masquerades as multiple websites, then it needs to present the correct VBToucan certificate (and use the corresponding private key) for this use.

Note: One "fix" that WILL NOT WORK would be to change the connection to VBToucan so that it uses HTTP instead of HTTPS. Doing so would break other aspects of WoodworkingTalk. If VBToucan content is absolutely necessary for WoodworkingTalk under the vbtoucan.com name, then the certificate must be replaced or fixed.

I know some technical tricks that would hide the issue for a given personal computer, but the proper fix should be done by the admins at the WoodworkingTalk server, which would apply to everyone.
Tom-G likes this.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-22-2020, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Alright I've touched base with someone with higher level of access then myself. We'll see what changes they can make

Kevin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode