Pop up offer - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 7Likes

post #1 of 355 Old 04-15-2017, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

View Kerrys's Photo Album My Photos
Pop up offer

Almost every time I visit I get this pop up "Congratulations Customer! Your iPad has been randomly selected to receive a $1000 gift card!". Then I am redirected to a site by the name rightnetwork.club or something similar. This started a day or two ago. Doesn't happen when visiting any other site, only woodworkingtalk.com. Very annoying to say the least and somewhat worrisome for this seems an attempt to attach malware to my iPad.

Last edited by Kerrys; 04-15-2017 at 12:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 355 Old 04-15-2017, 01:09 PM
johnep

View johnep's Photo Album My Photos
Nothing for me, you must have been specially selected!
johnep
post #3 of 355 Old 04-15-2017, 01:13 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerrys View Post
Almost every time I visit I get this pop up "Congratulations Customer! Your iPad has been randomly selected to receive a $1000 gift card!". Then I am redirected to a site by the name rightnetwork.club or something similar. This started a day or two ago. Doesn't happen when visiting any other site, only woodworkingtalk.com. Very annoying to say the least and somewhat worrisome for this seems an attempt to attach malware to my iPad.
You would need some kind of ad block add on to eliminate it. I use firefox and I don't get any ads of any kind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 355 Old 04-15-2017, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnep1934 View Post
Nothing for me, you must have been specially selected!
johnep
Wow, how helpful!
post #5 of 355 Old 04-15-2017, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
You would need some kind of ad block add on to eliminate it. I use firefox and I don't get any ads of any kind.
No. I use safari on an iPad. It automatically blocks ads. This is a problem with the site. Investigate the issue and fix it. Don't push it off on the members.
post #6 of 355 Old 04-15-2017, 02:12 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerrys View Post
No. I use safari on an iPad. It automatically blocks ads. This is a problem with the site. Investigate the issue and fix it. Don't push it off on the members.
I doubt if it's a problem with the site. In any case this is something I wouldn't have the ability to do. I don't know if the management can do anything or not.

Personally I don't do well with things electronic. I don't even use that type phone. I'm still using a flip phone.
post #7 of 355 Old 04-15-2017, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I doubt if it's a problem with the site. In any case this is something I wouldn't have the ability to do. I don't know if the management can do anything or not.

Personally I don't do well with things electronic. I don't even use that type phone. I'm still using a flip phone.
Do some searching. I have and this issue has shown up on a number of web sites in the last few days. It is not a problem with the edge devices. It is a problem within the host. The difference here is with several of the other sites affected the administration have admitted it is an issue.
post #8 of 355 Old 04-15-2017, 04:06 PM

View TomCT2's Photo Album My Photos
it's simple. remember who was it that was getting redirected a while back?
this site as with most subscribes to some "advertising service" that inserts all ads based on location, history, etc etc etc.

by and large the companies that provide these services care about one single thing: fractional pennies per click they generate.

as a result the advertiser time to time come up with really obnoxious ad / popups / malware / bad site / malicious sites, etc etc etc etc.

pretty much all the companies providing the services don't vet the junk they're stuffing onto your screen.
they want the money and they don't care how they get it.

the advertisers leap for jumping joy every time they figure out a way to side step ad blockers, etc.

the only solution is for the site to fire the bad acting companies and go with an ad provider who has a modicum of ethics.
post #9 of 355 Old 04-15-2017, 04:39 PM

View mikechell's Photo Album My Photos
If it was a problem with the site, then we'd all be having the issue.

Kerrys ... sorry to say, but, whatever site you first got this issue on, that's the one that was infected. At that time, you DID get a malware-bot installed on your computer. Now, the phishing program is chasing you everywhere you go.

You'll have to go deep system diving to find the code, but it's definitely linked to your computer.
new2woodwrk likes this.
post #10 of 355 Old 04-15-2017, 05:39 PM

View TomCT2's Photo Album My Photos
"If it was a problem with the site, then we'd all be having the issue.

quite hugely incorrect. advertisers "target" their audience. you don't want to know what they know about your IP address.
post #11 of 355 Old 04-15-2017, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

This is the only site I have the issue on. I spent 25 years in the IT industry and have complete understanding of how these systems work. I have researched this issue and it is documented as an issue originating with the host system. As far as my IP address goes. You will be able to see the outside address of my provider. Beyond that you would be hard pressed to figure out what type of security I have in place and you would definitely not know what I run behind the first layer of defense. Yes, I said first layer. I made my living protecting large wide area information and communication systems.
post #12 of 355 Old 04-15-2017, 11:30 PM

View mikechell's Photo Album My Photos
Okay ... I am not arguing with you. But why isn't anyone else getting this problem?
post #13 of 355 Old 04-16-2017, 12:50 AM

View Terry Q's Photo Album My Photos
I use an iPad, no pop up windows

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #14 of 355 Old 04-16-2017, 08:11 AM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
It is a site issue, someone needs to report it, other sites have taken the same action.

Google "rightnetwork.club" you will see that others have reported it, and the site took action.
post #15 of 355 Old 04-17-2017, 11:13 AM
Administrator

View Cricket's Photo Album My Photos
I can help get this blocked, but I need more information from anyone experiencing this.

• What device are you using to access the site? Computer? Tablet? Phone?
  • Are you accessing the full site? Using Tapatalk or Mobile View?
  • Which operating system are you using? (Windows 10, etc.)
  • Which browser are you using? (Chrome, Firefox, Edge, IE, etc.)
  • Have you already tried clearing your cookies/cache?

A screenshot and the related URL of the pop up will help me get it blocked.

"Show respect even to people who donít deserve it, not as a reflection of their character, but as a reflection of yours."
post #16 of 355 Old 04-17-2017, 11:03 PM

View Tom-G's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCT2 View Post
it's simple. remember who was it that was getting redirected a while back?
this site as with most subscribes to some "advertising service" that inserts all ads based on location, history, etc etc etc.

by and large the companies that provide these services care about one single thing: fractional pennies per click they generate.

as a result the advertiser time to time come up with really obnoxious ad / popups / malware / bad site / malicious sites, etc etc etc etc.

pretty much all the companies providing the services don't vet the junk they're stuffing onto your screen.
they want the money and they don't care how they get it.

the advertisers leap for jumping joy every time they figure out a way to side step ad blockers, etc.

the only solution is for the site to fire the bad acting companies and go with an ad provider who has a modicum of ethics.
I was the member being redirected a couple of months ago. It was only when using my iPhone. No problems when I used my iPad on this site. The techs at work checked my iPhone and it was clean. I provided all of the information the admins requested and they were great locating the malware redirect and removing it from this site. I now get this new pop up intermittently, but only when using my iPhone. It is definitely a targeted pop up.

Last edited by Tom-G; 04-17-2017 at 11:06 PM.
post #17 of 355 Old 04-17-2017, 11:23 PM
Senior Sawdust Producer

View Leo G's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:

I don't doubt it is a problem with the site. Contractor Talk had major issues with mobile devices getting these types of ads.

Measure Twice Cut Once -- It's a lot easier to cut more off then it is to cut MORON.
Finishing is 3 parts chemistry and 1 part VooDoo http://lrgwood.com
post #18 of 355 Old 04-18-2017, 09:15 AM
Administrator

View Cricket's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo G View Post
I don't doubt it is a problem with the site. Contractor Talk had major issues with mobile devices getting these types of ads.
But, I still need the information requested above, along with information about the popup (screenshot and URL) so that I can get it blocked.

"Show respect even to people who donít deserve it, not as a reflection of their character, but as a reflection of yours."
post #19 of 355 Old 11-23-2017, 11:31 PM

View Tom-G's Photo Album My Photos
Redirects are back....

Hi Cricket,

I’m getting a new redirect on the forum again. It only happens on my iPhone. The url is:

user.landing-page.serving-sys.link

The title of the target page is “iPhone X” and starts out with a “congratulations” message about being randomly selected to participate in a 10th anniversary iPhoneX giveaway. It states “we at Apple....” but it is totally bogus. I hit the back link in the browser to get back to the forum page but I then received another congratulations message for winning a $100. It was the same url.

My device is an iPhone, IOS 11.1.2, Safari browser. I do not use an app to browse the forum. I have cleared the browser cache.

I was actually reading the announcement about David being named a new moderator (congrats David!) when the redirect occurred.

Please let me know if you need any additional info to track this down.

Thanks.
Tom

Last edited by Tom-G; 11-23-2017 at 11:37 PM.
post #20 of 355 Old 11-24-2017, 10:11 AM
Administrator

View admin's Photo Album My Photos
Hey @Tom-G. Thanks for the info. Can you please send us a screenshot and the URL of the pop up? We can then work towards trying to have this blocked/removed.

Cheers,

Erik

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode