New thread posting advice (rant) - Page 2 - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 8Likes
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 38 Old 12-06-2015, 12:07 AM
Senior Member
 
michaelpugh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Fayetteville, Ar
Posts: 510
View michaelpugh's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mengtian View Post
Should I get Olson or Timber Wolf Bandsaw blades?

I think I've asked this question...😁

wish I had a cool line like everyone else...
michaelpugh is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 38 Old 12-06-2015, 04:32 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 5,292
View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
I find that by reading a post I can pretty well determine if I want to get involved in the conversation or not, this has nothing to do with whether I am aware of a solution or have an opinion, sometimes I just get the feeling it is not worth the aggravation.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
FrankC is online now  
post #23 of 38 Old 12-06-2015, 07:44 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Florida Panhandle
Posts: 11,852
View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
They should at least know how to ask the question.... that's the point of my rant. I understand quite well after 18.K posts that they don't always' know how, but that hasn't stopped me ....yet.

Maybe some will read this and learn how to ask the questions that will give them the best answers.... I donno?




not counting on it though.
Amen brother, you can say that again.

George
GeorgeC is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #24 of 38 Old 12-06-2015, 07:45 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Florida Panhandle
Posts: 11,852
View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankC View Post
I find that by reading a post I can pretty well determine if I want to get involved in the conversation or not, this has nothing to do with whether I am aware of a solution or have an opinion, sometimes I just get the feeling it is not worth the aggravation.
I frequently do the same thing.

George
GeorgeC is offline  
post #25 of 38 Old 12-06-2015, 11:37 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 40
View LostHasher's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
Maybe some will read this and learn how to ask the questions that will give them the best answers.... I donno?

not counting on it though.
I ran into this type of rant in another thread on the first day I joined here. Would it make you feel better to know that at least one person with a low post count acknowledges this type of angst?

To show that these rants are effective... I would LOVE to post at least one question about the table I'm refinishing, because I've been stuck on a part of it for a month. But I'm trying my best not to be "that guy."

To let you know where I'm coming from... I'm a mod at an unrelated forum, and a member of two other forums. So four total. What you describe here is common. There are times I notice a new member in the single digits, asking a simple question and think to myself, "Why didn't they just read a little?" I can't supply a simple answer to that, because there are many factors. I'd guess time has a lot to do with it.

On the forum I help moderate, I collected a very short list of links to helpful threads, that I will occasionally supply to people who seem overwhelmed (or in a negative sense, "clueless"). That allows me to welcome them, acknowledge their existence, while gently telling them where to start, amid the hundreds of threads and stickies at their disposal.

Look at your original post in this thread. You basically said it's your hope that new members will see what you wrote and think before they type. Then my suggestion to you is this:
Remove all the condescending filler attached to the helpful parts. Then if you see a noob posting in a way you don't like, and you feel obligated to comment instead of simply clicking elsewhere, paste a single link to the thread where the helpful parts reside.

Go to your workshop and look around at all the tools and products you own, and think about how many years it took you to figure all of it out. You were new once, right? Maybe the people who helped you were just as condescending, and that's all you know. But it really doesn't have to be that way.

Also, please remember this... just like knitting forums have a reputation for being filled with old grannys, woodworking forums have a reputation for being filled with crotchety gray-hairs, grumbling away amid fumes and sawdust. Read your post again and tell me if you think you dispelled or reinforced that stereotype.

Apologies if you think I just trolled you. Let me know and I'll craft a more specific piece of contrition.
mat 60 and Cricket like this.
LostHasher is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to LostHasher For This Useful Post:
michaelpugh (12-06-2015)
post #26 of 38 Old 12-06-2015, 11:52 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 5,292
View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostHasher View Post
snip

To let you know where I'm coming from... I'm a mod at an unrelated forum, and a member of two other forums. So four total. What you describe here is common. There are times I notice a new member in the single digits, asking a simple question and think to myself, "Why didn't they just read a little?" I can't supply a simple answer to that, because there are many factors. I'd guess time has a lot to do with it.

snip
Most of us prefer to read a little, I read your long post because you are new around here, probably the first and last time for that.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com

Last edited by FrankC; 12-06-2015 at 11:56 AM.
FrankC is online now  
post #27 of 38 Old 12-06-2015, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
where's my table saw?
 
woodnthings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SE, Michigan
Posts: 25,946
View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I read your post with mixed impressions

First off, it's rant and says so in the title, so beware of the tone, language and wording.

If I gave examples that brush your fur the wrong way, then so be it. It's a rant. I rarely call out a person, in fact there's only one here who I have. The other has passed away, so we don't clash any longer. I still post the best response I can with reasons why, examples, photos and links. I'm merely suggesting there is a right way to get an answer and a wrong way. Newbies don't often know the right way because it's there first time on a forum... so forgiveness is required, and is administered. The wrong way will eventually get you an answer, but it may take a while.

If this were a conversation over a beer or coffee, I'd simply say "Cut to the chase, what are you trying to do?" OR some other abbreviated comment to get to the bottom line. I'm a bottom line type of person and I don't prefer taking in BS or hand it out. I'm not gonna be touchy, feely here... just sayin' So far that has worked well for me, and I have made quite a few "friends" here, probably a few "non-friends" as well, but I don't know about those.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 12-06-2015 at 01:54 PM.
woodnthings is online now  
post #28 of 38 Old 12-06-2015, 01:26 PM
Senior Member
 
Rebelwork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Odessa,MO
Posts: 1,226
View Rebelwork's Photo Album My Photos
I get what your saying. I agree with FrankC on his view of things as well. Now will someone please call me out? I get bored arguing with myself every morning in the mirror.....
Rebelwork is offline  
post #29 of 38 Old 12-06-2015, 01:39 PM
Smart and Cool
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,745
View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post

If I gave examples that brush your fur the wrong way,
Well I'm shamelessly stealing that one...

But to stay on track with the thread, how can I tell if I am brushing the wrong way? And is it better to go with the grain, cross grain, or against the grain?

And I bought this brush because the Expert at the Orange Box store said it would work, but I think the finish is too coarse, can I just make it work anyway?
shoot summ is offline  
post #30 of 38 Old 12-06-2015, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
where's my table saw?
 
woodnthings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SE, Michigan
Posts: 25,946
View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Ya got me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot summ View Post
Well I'm shamelessly stealing that one...

But to stay on track with the thread, how can I tell if I am brushing the wrong way? And is it better to go with the grain, cross grain, or against the grain?

I should have said "fir" not fur and now your comment makes real sense. Fur has no "grain", only direction.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
woodnthings is online now  
post #31 of 38 Old 12-06-2015, 02:08 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 5,292
View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
I should have said "fir" not fur and now your comment makes real sense. Fur has no "grain", only direction.
Fer what it is worth, I agree.
dennygm likes this.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
FrankC is online now  
post #32 of 38 Old 12-06-2015, 02:14 PM
Senior Member
 
MT Stringer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Channelview, Tx
Posts: 2,642
View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
I'm not a rookie, newbie, or just woke up from a 40 year nap. However, sometimes I simply can't put the words together to ask a question.

Brain freeze, I guess.
MT Stringer is offline  
post #33 of 38 Old 12-06-2015, 07:42 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 40
View LostHasher's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankC View Post
Most of us prefer to read a little, I read your long post because you are new around here, probably the first and last time for that.
Understood. Sorry for bothering all of you.
LostHasher is offline  
post #34 of 38 Old 12-06-2015, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
where's my table saw?
 
woodnthings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SE, Michigan
Posts: 25,946
View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
you do real well on your own

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Stringer View Post
I'm not a rookie, newbie, or just woke up from a 40 year nap. However, sometimes I simply can't put the words together to ask a question.

Brain freeze, I guess.
You always have very good posts, so not to worry. It means you already have all the answers....

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
woodnthings is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
MT Stringer (12-06-2015)
post #35 of 38 Old 12-06-2015, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
where's my table saw?
 
woodnthings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SE, Michigan
Posts: 25,946
View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Ok, then

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelwork View Post
I get what your saying. I agree with FrankC on his view of things as well. Now will someone please call me out? I get bored arguing with myself every morning in the mirror.....
Just how does that discussion go? Do you ever come out on top or does the mirror guy win? Politics, Religion... gun control? Things we can't discuss here?

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
woodnthings is online now  
post #36 of 38 Old 04-01-2016, 06:58 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 5,292
View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
I really have to hand it to those of you that show much more patience than I have with some of the posts that show up here. We should not forget that if most new posters knew the answer or even the question there would really be no need for this forum, other than to sit around in a circle and well you know the rest.

If I do suggest a web search I always try to give the keywords to use to get what I believe would be the best hits, simply telling someone to use Google seldom is any help and rather rude.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
FrankC is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to FrankC For This Useful Post:
michaelpugh (04-01-2016)
post #37 of 38 Old 04-01-2016, 09:18 PM
Administrator
 
Cricket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,331
View Cricket's Photo Album My Photos
Respectfully, I am not a fan of this thread and will be closing it shortly.

Let me explain why...

I remember being a new member in a forum community and being scared to death to post the first time. I also remember how rude and condescending some people could be. It took me a long time to have the courage to post again, and it wasn't in that community. It was in another one that was more welcoming.

People don't arrive here with the same skill levels, nor do they always know the "right" way to ask questions, but they are all WELCOME here.

Starting a thread to rant about members, is simply not in line with who we are as a community.

I try to remember that there are real human beings on the other side of the monitor.
http://blog.v7n.com/2014/04/01/other...f-the-monitor/
Tony B, BigJim and WesTex like this.

"Show respect even to people who donít deserve it, not as a reflection of their character, but as a reflection of yours."
Cricket is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cricket For This Useful Post:
BigJim (04-02-2016), mikeswoods (04-01-2016), Tony B (04-01-2016)
post #38 of 38 Old 04-02-2016, 12:57 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 25,991
View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
OK, so Wiley woodworker comes along and starts a new thread:

How do I..., what do I use ...., which tool/material do I..., where do I... etc.

First reply goes like this:
Not enough info.
Got a sketch?
Post a photo.
Got a link?
What are the dimensions...how high, thick, wide etc.?

Response from OP is:
I'm on a Smith Corona typewriter that Albert Einstein used in 1942, so I can't post a photo.
I'm at work so I''ll post a photo when I get home.
I don't know how to post a photo.

Reply is:
Go to "Manage Attachments" or the paperclip on the tool bar, click "browse" click "upload" .. wait.. click "submit". DONE.

Next reply:
Your answer will only be as specific as your question is detailed. If you want a general type answer, ask the question that way. Want more specifics... give more details.

Frequent Question:
Can you match this stain from this photograph?
Yes and No. We can get you close, but you will have to make samples using the recommended stains, dyes, bleaches, oils etc. on the type of wood that is in the photograph OR the wood you intend to use....that's very important.

Frequent Question: How can I fix this?
Response:
What tools do you have? It all depends on your skills and your tool chest and shop equipment.

Frequent Question:
Should I get a jointer or a planer first?
Common Response:
Get both. OR make a sled for your planer.

Pet peeve:
I one sentence answer works some of the time. Warner is famous for one word answers, but we all know that and that's who he is. If you say I searched and found "this great machine, tool, material...etc" post a link while you're at it and save us the trouble of repeating the same search. If you can post an "image" of the product from Amazon, Grizzly, or an "image search" that is always helpful. Searches on Yahoo always give the option of Web, Image, or Video. A You Tube Video of the process is always helpful... a video is worth 10,000 words.

Please feel free to add you peeves and ranbts to this thread.

That should make a probie afraid to ask a question.
Steve Neul is offline  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
8ft x 4ft farmhouse table advice charisk Joinery 4 04-05-2016 01:16 PM
Thread Chasing Help Thorn495 Woodturning 10 11-19-2015 08:28 AM
Rustic dining table advice rookiewoodworker General Woodworking Discussion 18 09-19-2015 11:42 AM
farm table construction advice tws General Woodworking Discussion 6 08-20-2015 01:30 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome