Announcement - Photobucket images no longer working - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By Steve Neul
  • 1 Post By Steve Neul
  • 1 Post By allpurpose
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 07-13-2017, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
 
admin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 406
View admin's Photo Album My Photos
Announcement - Photobucket images no longer working

Hello,

Photobucket.com has recently changed its terms of service for free users on their platform. As of June 20 images hosted by Photobucket and shared on our forum, or any other third party sites, will no longer appear. As a result, you may notice a higher amount of broken images on the forum.

If you do not have access to edit your older posts please contact an Administrator or Moderator for assistance. Please provide the new URL for the image that needs to be edited and a link to the thread the image in located in.

More information on the change and what it means for Photobucket users can be found below.

Photobucket Terms of Use http://photobucket.com/terms

Thank you

Community Support
admin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 Old 07-13-2017, 10:41 AM
where's my table saw?
 
woodnthings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SE, Michigan
Posts: 27,114
View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Exclamation Way back when ....

Members were advised NOT to use photobucket for this very reason:
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f16/s...-ask-but-2017/

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
woodnthings is online now  
post #3 of 18 Old 07-13-2017, 10:53 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 25,995
View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
The problem with photobucket is a lot of times someone will resurrect a thread years old and unless they keep their photos in photobucket forever the old thread is a bit lost with dead links. Then some of us will post pictures in "My Photos" which almost nobody looks at so the conversation is a bit lost until they point out where the pictures are. It's always best to upload a picture to this site when posting any pictures. Then nobody has to search for the picture and it will be here as long as the thread is.
GeorgeC and Cricket like this.
Steve Neul is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 18 Old 07-14-2017, 11:28 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 5,651
View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
Members were advised NOT to use photobucket for this very reason:
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f16/s...-ask-but-2017/
And thankfully the membership listened, there are so many forums out there that have been pretty well rendered useless because of dead photo links.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
FrankC is online now  
post #5 of 18 Old 07-14-2017, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
 
admin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 406
View admin's Photo Album My Photos
Saw this coming about 10 years in advance. Any chance of next months lotto numbers?

Kevin
admin is offline  
post #6 of 18 Old 07-14-2017, 03:30 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 25,995
View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Saw this coming about 10 years in advance. Any chance of next months lotto numbers?

Kevin
Is there any way to rig the site where it won't accept links from places like photobucket. This would force the poster to upload pictures here.
woodnthings likes this.
Steve Neul is offline  
post #7 of 18 Old 07-17-2017, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
 
admin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 406
View admin's Photo Album My Photos
Not without blocking out links entirely. System won't be able to differentiate the difference between the different links.

Kevin
admin is offline  
post #8 of 18 Old 08-09-2017, 07:42 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 443
View Larry Schweitzer's Photo Album My Photos
I'd like to be able to post a photo but can't manage to. Is a 650kb jpg too large? I dragged it to the location below "Drag files to here to attach!" But nothing happened.
Larry Schweitzer is offline  
post #9 of 18 Old 08-09-2017, 08:20 PM
where's my table saw?
 
woodnthings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SE, Michigan
Posts: 27,114
View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
where are the photos stored?

Do you have a photo program or are they on your phone? Google will have them if you have a Google account email. You can download them to your computer then open them and attach them that way. I sent you a visitor message IF they are stored on your computer. You will be give a "browse" command to find where they are. then open them one at a time and they will show up when you click on the "Upload" button... you'll see. That "attachment" window must be enlarge to full screen to see the "upload" button.

Here's the Video:

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
woodnthings is online now  
post #10 of 18 Old 08-10-2017, 04:39 AM
johnep
 
johnep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Anglia UK
Posts: 1,954
View johnep's Photo Album My Photos
I used PB to reduce the bandwidth needed by the forum..ie saving money. Will post any future pics directly. Preferred pixel/dimensions please. easy to reduce pics on Paint.
johnep
johnep is offline  
post #11 of 18 Old 08-10-2017, 08:09 AM
Member
 
freedhardwoods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SW Indiana
Posts: 77
View freedhardwoods's Photo Album My Photos
This conversation made me remember that I have a Pb account. I set it up for a forum I used to frequent that required photos be in Pb, but can't remember which one. Took a couple tries to log in because it's been years since I tried.

This is probably a dumb question, but what is the point of Pb?

The only reason I ever put pics there was because of that one forum. It's much easier to just put them right in instead of finding them on another sight first.
freedhardwoods is offline  
post #12 of 18 Old 08-10-2017, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
 
admin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 406
View admin's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Schweitzer View Post
I'd like to be able to post a photo but can't manage to. Is a 650kb jpg too large? I dragged it to the location below "Drag files to here to attach!" But nothing happened.
Hey Larry,

Yes, that file is too large. Take a look at the screenshot for the Attachment Key to know what the max file size restrictions are - this can be seen if you go into the Go Advanced option and select the Attachments (paperclip) icon:

Announcement - Photobucket images no longer working-woodworkingattach.jpg

You can use a free program like Paint to resize your image. Thank you @woodnthings for those details and instructional video. :)


Quote:
Originally Posted by freedhardwoods View Post
This conversation made me remember that I have a Pb account. I set it up for a forum I used to frequent that required photos be in Pb, but can't remember which one. Took a couple tries to log in because it's been years since I tried.

This is probably a dumb question, but what is the point of Pb?

The only reason I ever put pics there was because of that one forum. It's much easier to just put them right in instead of finding them on another sight first.

Never any dumb questions to ask - the point of PB is among a few but it's a source for extra storage for your images/videos that you can access from any device if you wish without needing to rely on one to get to them. Also, saves you from having to re-upload any files, simply provide a link to view the image/file.


Let us know if there's anything else we can help with and/or if anyone is running into issues uploading images. Thanks!



Cheers,
Natalie :)
admin is offline  
post #13 of 18 Old 08-10-2017, 02:36 PM
Senior Member
 
allpurpose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,505
View allpurpose's Photo Album My Photos
Just in case here's several alternatives. https://www.ghacks.net/2017/07/02/ph...r-third-party/
I had the beginnings of a website that I could host anything I wanted, but it just cost more than I wanted to pay so now I'm just trying to get them to stop billing me for space I don't use nor need..
I have to admit I kind of miss pb, but oh well. I'm not going to pay them $350 to host my pictures. A website is cheaper to operate..Here's one that cost $7.99 a month. You can host images there for 4 years for the cost of 1 year at photobucket plus have a website to boot. https://www.1and1.com/m-linux-web-ho...UaArV8EALw_wcB
admin likes this.

I figured it's time to change my signature so hold your breath. This is it.
Impressive, huh?

Last edited by allpurpose; 08-10-2017 at 02:44 PM.
allpurpose is online now  
post #14 of 18 Old 08-11-2017, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
 
admin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 406
View admin's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks allpurpose, we recommend uploading images to woodworkingtalk but it's good to know alternatives.

Niall
admin is offline  
post #15 of 18 Old 08-11-2017, 12:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 443
View Larry Schweitzer's Photo Album My Photos
ADMIN: I looked @ that max file size screen. It shows 20.49MB for jpg. Yet you say my 650kb file was too large? I'm missing something???
Larry Schweitzer is offline  
post #16 of 18 Old 08-14-2017, 10:57 AM
Administrator
 
Cricket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,346
View Cricket's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Schweitzer View Post
ADMIN: I looked @ that max file size screen. It shows 20.49MB for jpg. Yet you say my 650kb file was too large? I'm missing something???
I think maybe their was some confusion as to what size image you were trying to upload.

Testing image uploading, then will reply again.

Name:  missingthis.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  67.9 KB

"Show respect even to people who donít deserve it, not as a reflection of their character, but as a reflection of yours."
Cricket is offline  
post #17 of 18 Old 08-14-2017, 11:00 AM
Administrator
 
Cricket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,346
View Cricket's Photo Album My Photos
@Larry Schweitzer I am not finding an issue with uploading images so I need some more information to trouble shoot why you are having an issue.

  • What device are you using to access the site? Computer? Tablet? Phone?
  • Are you accessing the full site? Using Tapatalk or Mobile View?
  • Which operating system are you using? (Windows 10, etc.)
  • Which browser are you using? (Chrome, Firefox, Edge, IE, etc.)
  • Have you already tried clearing your cookies/cache?

One more test with PNG file.

Name:  pinecone.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  98.9 KB

"Show respect even to people who donít deserve it, not as a reflection of their character, but as a reflection of yours."
Cricket is offline  
post #18 of 18 Old 08-14-2017, 01:51 PM
Administrator
 
Cricket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,346
View Cricket's Photo Album My Photos
One last test. Testing drag and drop as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	one.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	309417  


"Show respect even to people who donít deserve it, not as a reflection of their character, but as a reflection of yours."
Cricket is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Android app no longer working ChuckBarnett Site Help and Suggestions 9 04-01-2016 10:55 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome