ANNOUNCEMENT: New Forum Software Coming to WoodworkingTalk.com - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 45Likes

post #1 of 28 Old 09-24-2020, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

View Cricket's Photo Album My Photos
ANNOUNCEMENT: New Forum Software Coming to WoodworkingTalk.com

Dear Community Members,

Over the past year or two, there have been updates to the environment that have introduced challenges in usability and performance. Efforts to improve the technology, user interface and site performance has revealed weaknesses in the platform and outdated software this site uses. This has made it increasingly difficult and frustrating to support and upgrade to more modern reliable standards that users deserve. Our advertising experience and certain ad partners have further degraded the functionality of the site. This is not the experience we want for the members of this community.

Members want a fast site that performs well across all devices, to be able to find relevant and interesting content, and easily share through text, images, video, and messaging on a secure platform. Our goal is to provide this ultimate user experience to all members.

We will be implementing a new platform to better meet the needs of this community and allow us to provide support more efficiently. Our focus is to create a sustainable platform that performs well and loads faster on all devices while offering seamless ways to search and connect. Technology is constantly innovating - by creating an environment that we control we can maintain the site with more frequent improvements and maintenance updates.

Although change can be difficult, we are here to support you through the process. We make every effort to review existing settings and make the changes needed so the migration goes smoothly. If you notice something doesn’t seem correct once the site goes live, don’t panic! We’ll have a dedicated person monitoring as the site goes live to answer any questions and provide support through this change.

What’s next?

I bet you’re thinking, “What does this mean for me and the community?” It does mean change, but it will help solve a large majority of the issues that this site may have been experiencing. We have reviewed reported issues, site statistics, traffic data, and user feedback to help us prioritize the changes and improvements. Uploading an image or video will be easier and streamlined. Ad formatting will change with a new site layout. The site will be more responsive - there is no need to use a mobile skin or special app! Security and user privacy will continue to be a top priority.

When will this be happening? Soon! We recognize the user experience is slow and there are bugs from the outdated software. The sooner we can change that the better we can make the experience for you. You’ll start to see activity related to cleanup in preparation for migration very shortly. We will post an announcement to the community prior to starting the actual data migration. Once the migration begins, the site will go into maintenance mode and will be read-only while data is being migrated.

We appreciate each member’s contribution to this community and look forward to an improved experience for you all.

- Cricket

"Show respect even to people who don’t deserve it, not as a reflection of their character, but as a reflection of yours."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 09-24-2020, 03:21 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I hope this does not turn out like many/most of the sites that rave about their "new and improved" product. In the ones I am familiar with that usually means less user friendly.

But, I will wait and see.

George
post #3 of 28 Old 09-24-2020, 04:12 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
One of the most common issues ...loading a photo!

I hope the new version makes it so simple a first time poster can make it work. It should state in BOLD letters "links to photos will not be allowed" ..... OK, that's a little harsh, but we need to let new folks know what is not acceptable in terms of site accessibility for others viewing their posts.

Photobucket has turn into a complete disaster as the images previously posted have all but disappeared making them pretty useless. If there are other online hosting sites that will never go dead, which I doubt, then ....maybe?

Thanks to all who moderate and admin who are working hard to make this a better site!
BigJim, difalkner, Tom-G and 2 others like this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 09-24-2020 at 05:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 09-24-2020, 06:56 PM

View Dave McCann's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post

online hosting sites that will never go dead, which I doubt,

Thanks to all who moderate and admin who are working hard to make this a better site!
You are correct, no site is immune to shutting down, this site included. Just saying they are no guaranties.

I do frequent one internet site that is 100% free from commercial advertising. It is also 100% dependent on user donations, NOT user fees, totally voluntary user donations. It is an amazingly tight knit community of over 6000 members. I suspect it too, will come to an end at some point in time.

Take care,
Dave McCann
post #5 of 28 Old 09-24-2020, 06:58 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
What I wonder is whether the old threads, posts, photos, and attachments will be migrated to the new system, easy to find through the normal system searches?

I would be disappointed if everyone's contributions were relegated to an old archive that nobody will bother to search and will eventually disappear. I belonged to another forum where a huge body of knowledge and contributions disappeared because two partners squabbled. One controlled the domain, the other controlled the server and the data. Neither was made available because of the fight. The forum has been offline for a couple years at least, and everybody lost. It was a treasure of wisdom, knowledge, experience, and how-to procedures. All lost.
post #6 of 28 Old 09-24-2020, 07:07 PM

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
wait and see, fellas ~ wait and see.
if there are any issues, please report them to Admin directly
or any of the Moderators.
there is no need in speculations at this early stage.

there is no educational alternative to having a front row seat in the School of Hard Knocks.
post #7 of 28 Old 09-24-2020, 09:22 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks @Cricket for the announcement.
I am very behind the times in technology but still looking forward to the new changes.

Tony B Retired woodworker, among other things.

"Strive for excellence and settle for completion" Tony B
post #8 of 28 Old 09-24-2020, 10:19 PM

View kiwi_outdoors's Photo Album My Photos
Change is Constant

Retired engineer-bureaucrat in Oakland, CA. Been working with wood since the 1960's. From the 50's if you count the scrap woodpile on the farm!
post #9 of 28 Old 09-24-2020, 10:29 PM
Ole Woodworker

View BigJim's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McCann View Post
You are correct, no site is immune to shutting down, this site included. Just saying they are no guaranties.

I do frequent one internet site that is 100% free from commercial advertising. It is also 100% dependent on user donations, NOT user fees, totally voluntary user donations. It is an amazingly tight knit community of over 6000 members. I suspect it too, will come to an end at some point in time.
The WWT has Threads: 90,344, Posts: 877,209, Members: 80,565.

http://www.diychatroom.com/

BigJim

Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.
post #10 of 28 Old 09-24-2020, 10:43 PM
Ancient Termite

View NoThankyou's Photo Album My Photos
Cricket,
It was this forum that FORCED me to run an ad blocker. It is something that I never wanted to do. I understand that advertising is what supports many forums. My laptop has a 17 inch screen and while the ratio of 15 x10 is reasonable for business applications it is not ideal for forums. However when advertising takes 2/3 of the screen the forum becomes painful.

Before you guys actually cut things loose and do a wholesale switch over, please restrict the commercial area of the screen to something tolerable. Most of us would find losing the right ¼ of the screen to advertising acceptable. If you think of TV shows for children, the station or network is limited to 8 minutes of advertising in every 30. That is about ¼. (FCC rule)

Please think about it and discuss it with the powers to be. I really don't want to run an ad blocker.

Rich
Just a dumb old paper boy from Brooklyn, NY
post #11 of 28 Old 09-25-2020, 09:17 AM

View Dave McCann's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post

What is your point? Do you think it's "too big to fail"? Only takes a quick glimpse of history to realize nothing is ever too big to fail and fade away. Just a fact of life.
Doesn't matter what server or what site, the information stored there is not guaranteed to be there forever.

Take care,
Dave McCann
post #12 of 28 Old 09-25-2020, 09:46 AM
Ole Woodworker

View BigJim's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
What is your point? Do you think it's "too big to fail"? Only takes a quick glimpse of history to realize nothing is ever too big to fail and fade away. Just a fact of life.
Doesn't matter what server or what site, the information stored there is not guaranteed to be there forever.
I don't recall making that statement at all. As matter fact that information wasn't directed to you only, it was just information that we are a healthy forum with many good members. Take it or leave it, your choice.
Tony B, difalkner, TobyC and 2 others like this.

http://www.diychatroom.com/

BigJim

Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.
post #13 of 28 Old 09-25-2020, 10:38 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
Quote:
I don't know the point, but I found that Members statistic interesting. Here is how I would break it down:

Active contributors: 100
Formerly active, some of them working on projects in the big woodshop in the sky: 465
Spammers: 10,000
One-and-gone: 70,000.

P.S. A thousand "Likes" to the moderators who do so much unseen work behind the curtains on our behalf. They make sure that this forum functions smoothly and stays productive and helpful (and sometimes entertaining). Thank you thank you!
Tony B, BigJim, difalkner and 4 others like this.
post #14 of 28 Old 09-25-2020, 11:15 AM

View TomCT2's Photo Album My Photos
I used to sysop on a popular Compuserve forum -
peaked at ~600 msgs per day
~700 members logging on per day + 400-800 visitors

CompuServe killed itself - declining to go to unlimited use plans when 'the Internet thing' hit
then they killed the Forums by excluding them from "competing" search engines.
then AOL moved the Forums into the cemetery of Forumania.com - when I look there....no new names. I recognize pretty much all the names from the 1990's.

one by one, it will die and disappear.

the whole on-line thing shifted to stuff like Facebook/Twitter/etc

so, stuff comes and stuff goes. very co-consciencous, recycling the electrons....
post #15 of 28 Old 09-25-2020, 03:27 PM

View _Ogre's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Agnostic View Post
I don't know the point, but I found that Members statistic interesting. Here is how I would break it down:

Active contributors: 100
Formerly active, some of them working on projects in the big woodshop in the sky: 465
Spammers: 10,000
One-and-gone: 70,000.
tool agnostic just got my 2nd like ever
i'd be curious to see active in the last year number
post #16 of 28 Old 09-25-2020, 05:11 PM
Ancient Termite

View NoThankyou's Photo Album My Photos
I have observed other places that have moved and died. Many were moved and continuity from the old place just didn't exist. It became a chore for the user to move along with the forum. Many just said "eff it" and went on with their life.

It is this simple, If a forum moves to a different hosting service, the new hosting service must make it easy to put the URL into the user's old icon. When the user arrives at the old site there needs to be simple instructions to get to the new URL.

Something like:
Click the link below and then do these steps to save the new link on your device.

The user must be able to do this multiple times because many of us use multiple devices to access the forum.

Rich
Just a dumb old paper boy from Brooklyn, NY
post #17 of 28 Old 09-25-2020, 07:06 PM

View TomCT2's Photo Album My Photos
just clear/delete the cookies.
the process that translate "site names" to an IP address (DNS - Domain Name Server") takes care of all those mechanics.
those changes typically spread throughout the whole system in just a few hours. if you live in Dogpatch, could take 24.

however, with a software change info stored in a cookie on your hard drive, from the old system, likely won't work with the 'new' software.
symptom: you get "here" but auto-logon, etc. don't function. preferences go all screwy, etc etc etc

if you'd like to keep your computer happy, every weekend simply delete the cache and all cookies from your browser.

works absolute wonders in keeping your surfing at max height.
it has a huge downside - you'll have to log on to sites once a week..../sarcasm off
difalkner likes this.
post #18 of 28 Old 09-28-2020, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

View Cricket's Photo Album My Photos
I want to give you an update on the process I use once the site goes live with the new platform.

The night before the site goes live you will see an announcement from me that the site will be going live soon. Once the actual process starts, the site will be in read-only mode while the team does the migration from the old platform to the new one.

Once it does goes live you will see an announcement thread created here in this section. All questions and feedback about the new platform should be posted ONLY in that thread.

You will then see my reply to the thread to introduce myself.

I will add a new signature and avatar to the admin account.

What should you be doing now before this happens?

• Make sure your email address is up to date in your account.
  • If you don't remember your password, now would be a good time to reset it. Save the information.
  • The link that displays all your attachments on the site will not be available, but all attachments will still be in your posts. It might be worth taking the time to browse through the attachment list to see if you want to add anything from there to your albums for easy access later.

When Will This All Happen?

WoodworkingTalk.com is currently scheduled for October 26th. HOWEVER, the schedule is very fluid, so that could change depending on any complications or schedule changes. I am simply giving you a heads up.

As your dedicated support, during the transition, I will be here with you multiple times a day, answering questions and listening to feedback.

My only request is that you remain patient with me while we work through the changes. :)
BigJim, difalkner, Tom-G and 1 others like this.

"Show respect even to people who don’t deserve it, not as a reflection of their character, but as a reflection of yours."
The Following User Says Thank You to Cricket For This Useful Post:
John Smith_inFL (09-28-2020)
post #19 of 28 Old 10-05-2020, 11:50 PM

View Nick2727's Photo Album My Photos
does this have anything to do with the premium members lounge im noticing on the forum index page now? sounds like a monthly pay model. i really hope that isnt the case. i guess we will wait and see.

Nick J
Edmonton, AB, Canada
post #20 of 28 Old 10-06-2020, 07:13 PM

View _Ogre's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
What should you be doing now before this happens?
  • If you don't remember your password, now would be a good time to reset it. Save the information.
[LIST]
seeing as admin changed all of our passwords from what we could remember, to impossible non words
mine is currently close to e?jK713rX6GuILln, i suspect admin will be busy for the next couple months

just change over, no one is preparing for this except you guys that run it
pirate4x4 and hotrodders recently changed software, both went from hundreds of new posts daily to dozens
i hope it doesn't happen here, but if you install admin friendly, member unfriendly software prepare for it

but really, just do it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode