For you guys that don't get the changing seasons... - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 15 Old 11-27-2009, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
For you guys that don't get the changing seasons...

For not having warm weather all year, cold winters, etc., we have the change of seasons to look forward to. Fall is one of my favorite times of year, watching the leaves turn. This morning we got our first snow. Wet, heavy stuff, only a couple of inches of accumulation.
When people from out of state drive here when it snows, they slow down to a crawl and say 'oh my'. When Ohioans drive in the snow, they say 'hold my drink and watch this..."
Got up early today and hit the home depot and got three 16 gallon ridgid shop vacs for 19.95 each. They were gone in a minute or two. Also picked up a dewalt 18v drill kit with two batteries and a charger for 99.00. Cheaper than buying two new batteries by themselves. Also got a stanley set of four tape measures, from 25' down to 3' for 9.95.
Mike Hawkins
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-27-2009, 01:24 PM

View Daren's Photo Album My Photos
I am not looking forward to snow Mike, but that little bit looks kinda pretty.
post #3 of 15 Old 11-27-2009, 01:32 PM
Thumb Nailer

View dbhost's Photo Album My Photos
I've done both. I love the fall, I love being able to go to the snow when I want to, but I sure as heck don't want to live where snow is a regular part of life...

I love living in Texas except when hurricanes come, but if I could nail down job for LOML and myself, and get this house sold, I would move to Arizona in a hot second... I LOVED living in Tucson. Great climate, you want snow in the winter? Go up the mountain. Want to get away from the snow? go back down into town...

Interested in my woodworking, workshop and whatnot? See http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com, want to see my other interests such as hunting, fishing, off roading, and camping? See http://wildersport-outdoors.blogspot.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 11-27-2009, 03:32 PM

View TomC's Photo Album My Photos
Mike,
No snow here but Lowes has the same deal on the Dewalt 18V drill. Like you said $99 with 2 batteries. On the same display counter they had a pack of two Dewalt 18V batteries for $119.95.
Tom
post #5 of 15 Old 11-27-2009, 05:47 PM

View Chad's Photo Album My Photos
We had snow on this end of Ohio to, not that much but a nice dusting. Thinking it's about time to drag out the extra shop/garage heater and the dreded snow shovels.
post #6 of 15 Old 11-28-2009, 07:05 AM

View garryswf's Photo Album My Photos
Change of seasons, HUH!!!

Mike,
The pictures you posted are very pretty, and BTW is that a japanese maple? Being an ex buckeye transplanted to south florida in 2001 there ara a few things i miss, like---
Deer hunting, i loved to bow hunt.
Working outside for 26 yrs. no matter what the conditions
Those little cracks i used to get on my fingers that got so sore, everytime you would bump them on something you almost cried.
Sliding off the road in an ice storm
Having to warm up the truck for 20 minutes
Yep i miss all that, NOT
But hey keep the pictures coming, I'll set here in my shorts and sandels and enjoy them
post #7 of 15 Old 11-28-2009, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Garry,
It's a sugar maple if I remember right. That pic was when the leaves had turned color.
Most all my work is indoors now.
For those little cracks in my fingers, I use CA glue. Instant fix.
I have been pretty lucky about not slipping off the road. If it's that bad, I stay home.
My truck warms up in about 10 minutes.

I still wouldn't mind coming down your way for the winter though. Maybe one day.....
Mike Hawkins
post #8 of 15 Old 11-28-2009, 10:45 AM
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
I love snow . . . . as long as it stays north of the Red River.
post #9 of 15 Old 11-28-2009, 10:50 AM

Finger cracks

Mike,
The cracks i used to get in my fingers was from a cleaning pad we had to use to remove carbon from power cable we operated our mining machinery that blew up, normally went phase to phase or phase to ground, 4160V up to 25,000V. The crap we used is what they replaced carbon tet with, took the oils right out of the skin when you used it. OMT-now is the time to buy down here if you are considering a retirement home in the south, dirt cheap some three year old homes going for 40K to 60K, these same homes sold or was financed new for 200K up to 300K, or more!!!!!
post #10 of 15 Old 11-28-2009, 02:08 PM
Old Methane Gas Cloud

View rrich's Photo Album My Photos
Yup, cold in the shop this morning. I had to open the garage door and turn the fan on to exchange the cold night air with the outside air.

I loved the snow when I was a kid. Today when I walk outside in a "T" shirt and I'm comfortable, I realize, "That's why I live here."

Use the right tool for the job.

Rich (Tilting right)
Huntington Beach, California
Remember that when we have the "BIG ONE" everything east of the Rockies falls into the ocean.
post #11 of 15 Old 11-28-2009, 05:45 PM

View clarionflyer's Photo Album My Photos
Very nice, Mike. I agree.

The seasons are beautiful here. Cold and snow - I love it. My only complaint is "40 and raining".
For every good, there is a bad. The folks who avoid our weather, don't get to experience the real "fall experience". The seasons, in the northeast especially, are definitely magic.
post #12 of 15 Old 11-28-2009, 08:03 PM

View toolman Steve's Photo Album My Photos
no snow

I was born in Rhode Island. Moved to Fl in 79, After the blizzard of 78,
I still love to look at the white stuff. sitting in shorts and T shirt is a nice way to spent the winters, heat is cheep too.

Steve M.
post #13 of 15 Old 11-28-2009, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Garry,
I never have to clean any mining equipment, but the fingers dry out just the same, especially when doing tile work and drywall work.
I do envy you guys this time of year with the warm weather. I don't envision myself going anywhere. My mother lives across the street from us in a house I built for her. I came from a large family on my mom's side and most everyone lives nearby. I do enjoy visiting the warm places when I can. I really don't mind the cold so much. It forces me to slow down a bit and relax. I plow the snow with my atv, so it makes it fun.
Oh, and today I went to the outdoor range to sight in my slug gun. Going to my buddy's hunting cabin tomorrow for most of the week. It's about an hour south of here in the hilly lake region.
Mike Hawkins
post #14 of 15 Old 11-28-2009, 08:43 PM

View joesdad's Photo Album My Photos
I'm with ya Mike...I complain now and then, but I tried the warmer climate for a few years and quickly realized what I missed about the winter. Two-ply wicking long johns and a good boot sock will get me through pretty much anything. I love the smell of real wood fireplaces burning somewhere in my neighborhood when I walk outside at night. New snow is always welcomed with a smile so long as I don't have to do one of my long commutes. Anybody who's ever wondered into the woods alone after a heavy snowfall and just sat on a log and listened to muffled silence and the occasional crack of a branch in the distance knows it's almost a religeous experience.

Intellectuals solve problems, geniuses prevent them.
-Albert Einstein :http://armandj.com
post #15 of 15 Old 11-29-2009, 12:35 PM

In the woods

Joesdad,
I don't disagree with you on being in the woods. When i used to bow hunt, before i moved here, i used climbing spurs to set my tree stands, no less than 30', gave me good visibility. I do miss deer season, not so much going in the woods and wacking everything that come in front of me just setting in my tree stand and listen to the "SILENCE" thats what i liked. I do miss the two guys i hunted with, we very seldom hunted together but in the same general area, but when dark came we always got together just to make sure we all made it out OK. Those were good times.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode