The Wood Word - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 11-10-2007, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
The Wood Word

This may be a bit of trivia, but we use the word "wood" on a general basis. I know what wood is and I've read the definition, but where did that word come from? How was the word derived?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-10-2007, 07:44 AM

View Corndog's Photo Album My Photos
You my friend, have gone in WAY too far!!! Put down the plane and back away from the bench!!!
post #3 of 6 Old 11-10-2007, 08:40 PM

View nailgunner7's Photo Album My Photos
Cabinetman,
I believe it was a started in the early Paleojuramastic period when man had just begun to stand upright. Two things were always on the mind of this early humanioid (toolus havenoneus), it was woman and food. The early cavewoman would daily send out our hero and he would mutter to himself "woman/food" "woman/food" all day long as he hunted and gathered. This went on for quite some time until man decided that he needed just something else to think about. One day on the path he tripped over a large dead stick. He picked it up. Looked it over very carefully and decided after several minutes that this might be useful. But what would he call it. Having a primitive intellect and more primitive vocabulary, he decided to go with what he knew "wo man/ fo od" Eureka! "WO OD" "WOOD" yes this was good. "Wood/woman/food"
Just goes to show just how far we have come. huh?!

Scott A. Mordecki/Nailgunner7
http://fallentimber.mysite.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 11-10-2007, 09:06 PM

View Daren's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by nailgunner7 View Post
Just goes to show just how far we have come. huh?!
, yea we have came a long way . Very "creative" answer Scott.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-10-2007, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Thought I'd share this response I got from another forum:

My understanding of the derivation of the word "wood" originated around 40,000 years ago. Og was trying to make a good spear point for hunting that would penetrate the think hide of the wooly mammoth and yet be easily portable. So it would fit his hand, he rolled a log up and down a rocky hillside, wearing the bark off and creating a relatively round shape.After all the work, Og found out that the spear was too long and decided to remove about 10 cubits of length - that'll teach him - tree was too tall! After much thought, Og decided to put the spear down by the prehistoric beaver pond in the hopes that the beavers would chew through the spear and shorten it. After a week, Og returned to the pond and found the spear chewed off to a length of about 8 cubits! And the end of the spear now had a nice point on it to boot!
Og and is best buddy, Gog went hunting with the new spear. They stalked, walked and crouched around for days, but no wooly mammoth were to be found. Suddenly, out of nowhere, a large bird flew over them and started circling to catch a updraft. "Throw at bird," screamed Gog! "Wood hit me in head," answered Og.
And that is the rest of the story.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-11-2007, 02:34 PM

View Corndog's Photo Album My Photos
Speaking of trivia....

The table saw,apparently,was invented in 1810 by Sister Tabitha Babbit of the Harvard Shakers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode