Windows 7 - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 10Likes

post #1 of 38 Old 01-15-2020, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Windows 7

Windows 7 is no longer supported by MS.
In reality, How bad is it to continue using it.
I have Malwarebytes for protection.
How much do I have to worry about?

Tony B Retired woodworker, among other things.

"Strive for excellence and settle for completion" Tony B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 01-15-2020, 07:36 AM

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
Tony - I too have been thinking the same thing lately.

like the other tens of millions that want to upgrade,
I am wondering about the benefits or issues of moving up to Win-10.

there is no educational alternative to having a front row seat in the School of Hard Knocks.
post #3 of 38 Old 01-15-2020, 07:38 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
That's funny ...

I used Winows XP well beyond it's intended life and support frame. I switched to a new "All IN One" Dell computer about 1 year ago and I love it! It's got a 22" diagonal screen, NO tower to take up desk space, fairly good audio and a touch screen IF that's what you choose to use. Otherwise a keyboard and mouse work wirelessly for me.

Windows 10 isn't too much different from XP, but there is a learning curve. I use Fire Fox and Google Chrome to browse the web with and I can't say one is better than the other except... that a copy and paste of an image will not work in Chrome, but works easily on Fire Fox... go figure?

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 Old 01-15-2020, 07:43 AM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
I'm using Win7 Pro on my CNC computer and it's working just fine. And I'll continue using it until it stops working. 'No longer supported' just means they aren't going to be fixing any bugs or issues with the OS and I'm ok with that.

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel and Instagram
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #5 of 38 Old 01-15-2020, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

I'm not a computer guy, but it seems everytime a virus was caught, it was by Malware bites, not MS windows.
My thinking is that if windows 7 was that good for virus protection, then all these antivirus companies would not exist.
I took the free upgrade to windows 10 way back when. My GF liked it, i went back to Win 7 in 2 days.
I was told however, that Win 10 under-performed because my older laptop, which I am still using, did not have the capacity or speed required. I dunno.

post #6 of 38 Old 01-15-2020, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

HELP!
I dont leave my laptop on over night
RIGHT NOW, Windows is doing an automatic update. The little blue icon on lower right hand side of my screen.
I hadnt noticed the update there yesterday, but rarely ever look at that part of my screen. \
These Automatic windows updates are slow.
Should I shut down or is this a virus coming through or some form of final update?
John Smith_inFL likes this.

Last edited by Tony B; 01-15-2020 at 08:21 AM.
post #7 of 38 Old 01-15-2020, 08:26 AM

View gj13us's Photo Album My Photos
I updated two home computers from Win7 to Win10. It didn't cost anything, and only took some time. Actually, lot of time. A couple hours, but there was virtually nothing for me to do. The systems did all the work. I didn't have to do any backups or anything like that. When it was finished, my desktops appeared exactly as before, with the exception that the default desktop images are the Win10 images. All files, icons, etc. were exactly as before the switch.

Short story--it's so easy there's no reason not to. I started with the site https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/14/2...s-7-10-free-os which takes you to the real, bona fide Microsoft site.
post #8 of 38 Old 01-15-2020, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

I think the free upgrade to Win 10 on the MS site was for a short time only and that was over a year ago or so.
I did it and it slowed my laptop way down, that is why i went back to Win 7. I was told that it might have been a memory problem.

post #9 of 38 Old 01-15-2020, 09:25 AM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Yes, if your hardware can't fully support the software then stick with Win7. One reason I keep Win7 on my CNC computer to run Mach4 for controlling the CNC is that the computer is about 8 years old. Win10 would likely bring it to its knees. All I need it to do is run Mach4 for my CNC and I don't do anything else on that computer.

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel and Instagram
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #10 of 38 Old 01-15-2020, 10:01 AM

View DrRobert's Photo Album My Photos
Yes you can. Tons of info on Google about this.

Before upgrading you need to check hardware req's. If your computer is more than 4 or 5 years old probably won't run it.

Windows 10 has been a very reliable OS.
Tool Agnostic likes this.

Robert
post #11 of 38 Old 01-15-2020, 10:02 AM

View AwesomeOpossum74's Photo Album My Photos
Available attack vectors are crazy rampant, and more are found every hour. They exist, not only in the OS, but also in the 3rd party applications and services you have installed, and even a combination of both can create a vector. Updates serve to block the vectors the software manufacturers are aware of. Interestingly, updates sometimes serve to create new vectors (fix one thing, break another). That's the technological world we live in.

Don't rely on antivirus/malware detectors to 100% protect your PC. They are always a step behind the crackers. Windows security updates are, also. But each of them builds a barrier that must be leaped by an attacker.

Would I consider using an OS that was out of support long after it was discontinued? Only if it was air-gapped, or on a closed network, 100% disconnected from the Internet (an example might be a commercial HVAC controller). You can bet the crackers are going for the easy targets, because easy targets mean less informed, less protected, and probably ignorant users who don't know how to secure their credentials and minimize exposure of their personal data.

It's an old story, and most OSs have taken steps to minimize it, but you should only log into the OS, or run anything as admin if you are performing maintenance. In that mode, you should not be accessing the Internet under admin context.
GeorgeC and Tool Agnostic like this.

Geoff
post #12 of 38 Old 01-15-2020, 11:53 AM

View kiwi_outdoors's Photo Album My Photos
Win 10 is absolutely fine if your hardware is adequate (as was Win 8) . I use the very inexpensive "Start10" utility and thus avoid all the silly windows tiles (as I did with Start8).

Retired engineer-bureaucrat in Oakland, CA. Been working with wood since the 1960's. From the 50's if you count the scrap woodpile on the farm!
post #13 of 38 Old 01-15-2020, 12:47 PM

View gj13us's Photo Album My Photos
I upgraded to 10 about a week ago and it was free. And our computers are at least four or five years old. The upgrade was a shot in the dark, just to see if it would save us from having to buy new machines. So far so good.
Tool Agnostic likes this.
post #14 of 38 Old 01-15-2020, 12:58 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
I have some small experience in this area. @AwesomeOpossum74 has it right, although his post may be too technical for some people.

Simply put, I would not attach a Windows 7 or earlier system to the internet. If you have one, upgrade it to Windows 10, replace it, or get it off the internet by the end of this month (January 2020). DO NOT rely on anti-virus programs, a firewall, or your router to keep you safe.

When Microsoft releases a security fix for Windows 10 and other supported versions of Windows, hackers analyze it to learn what vulnerability it fixes, and then race to develop an exploit. They scan the internet for vulnerable systems, and hack websites to spread their malware when you visit, too. You may not know it, but your internet connection is being probed constantly.

-> Historically, approximately 1/3 of reported vulnerabilities also apply to older systems like Windows 7. Those older systems will never receive the fixes, leaving them open to attack.

-> Historically, most people with infected systems do not know that their systems are infected. You are not the exception.

I cannot make it plainer than that.
AwesomeOpossum74 likes this.

Last edited by Tool Agnostic; 01-15-2020 at 01:06 PM.
post #15 of 38 Old 01-15-2020, 01:34 PM

View sunnybob's Photo Album My Photos
I have a HP laptop that is 12 years old. it has run vista since day one. It is only turned off overnight and must have been run for 10;s of 1000's of hours. i'm using it now.

Microsoft stopped "supporting" it years ago. Strangely, i still regularly get the windows "updates are available" window.
It still works fine. i have malware bites and and adaware pro adblocker.
Slow, yes.
Cheap, oh yes.

I've been using computers since day 2 of the internet (first connected puter was windows 3) In all those years I have had one virus (on windows 95), which was caused by the bloody IT guy at the firm I worked for being sloppy. I made the company clean the damn thing off, and have never had an issue since.
I will run this vista untill the day the laptop dies. ya dont scare me, oh no.

Oh, a free windows 10 upgrade offer ran out this week. Am i worried?????

SunnyBob
my projects can be viewed here
http://www.pbase.com/john_cooper/bob...dwork_projects
post #16 of 38 Old 01-15-2020, 02:33 PM

This is a woodworking forum. With sincere respect to some of the people here who clearly need good, solid advice, I am not here to teach a master class in computer maintenance or information security. Suffice it to say that I do not endorse all of the recommendations above.
mjadams61 likes this.
post #17 of 38 Old 01-15-2020, 05:45 PM

View fareastern's Photo Album My Photos
I have a computer,several actually,for my benefit.The financial health of Microsoft isn't important to me and I do get annoyed by having perfectly adequate computers rendered obsolete by a bunch of programmers bringing out a constant stream of "improvements" that I don't need.I have to suspect that if they didn't produce evidence of doing something,anything even,their ongoing employment might come to an end.
I have a quite old laptop that runs XP and still does about everything I need to do.It doesn't do it as fast as it's more modern counterpart unfortunately but since I took heed of some very sound advice I am happy to use it I for most stuff.I use Firefox as a browser and was advised that installing the no script add on would stop malicious scripts making changes that were harmful.It works.

I have a desktop box that runs Windows 7 and my main use for it is updating my car sat nav.Again I have Firefox as a browser with no script enabled and it works just fine.I don't have any anti-virus software on these machines and they work.I doubt that this would be the case if I spent time on some dubious sites........
I can't be certain though.A bit of sense goes a long way.

I am typing this on a laptop that has never run Windows-of any sort.I am almost 100% reliant on Linux and it works.If you don't like the way Microsoft is going,you may like to consider it as a worthy alternative.Something like Linux Mint or PCLinux will have a fairly familiar appearance to a Windows desktop and can be tried by downloading an .iso image to your computer and making a bootable usb drive.You can then launch your computer and by adjusting the order of drives to boot from, install the operating system as a Live Install.It will run from the memory of your computer and doesn't make any changes to your computer's configuration.When you have had a play with it you can switch off and go back to Windows.Or you can install alongside,or instead of, the original operating system.Did I mention that it costs nothing?

A couple of points you might like to consider;why haven't you heard more about it?Nobody is making money from it and consequently there isn't a marketing budget.How good is it?A survey last year sought information about the operating system used by the most powerful computers in the world.What percentage do you think ran Linux?

100% of them!

If the people who run the world's fastest computers are that convinced,why would you not take a look?

Or you could buy a slow system with mass market penetration.
post #18 of 38 Old 01-15-2020, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Believe it or not, I just got 5 updates and when installed, I received another one.
Go Figya.

post #19 of 38 Old 01-16-2020, 06:07 AM

One of my favorite poems is "A Garland of Precepts" by Phyllis McGinley. A line from that poem is, "Argue with no true believers."
post #20 of 38 Old 01-16-2020, 06:31 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
We have a local man whose computer column you man have seen in your local paper. He is good about answering questions from anyone anywhere. Just go to www.itsgeektome.co. Note, it is not .com it is .co.

He has answered this question many times about using older versions of Windows. If you go to his web site you can probably find several times.

George

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode