Where there's a will (and some charm), there's a way - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 10-28-2014, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

View Korosu's Photo Album My Photos
Where there's a will (and some charm), there's a way

Hi everyone. Got some good news that I just have to share. My fiancée and I are renting an apartment. So no power tools. But I have found a hand saw and a old planer that my dad has never used and has given. And with some luck I have convinced my fiancée to move the electric piano and store it in the closet so I can set up a small woodworking area. Woohoo! I love that woman :).

So now this coming weekend I can move my hand tools and wood (small stuff) into the apartment (corner of the kitchen). Also I found one of those workmate benches. The small ones with two boards that act as a clamp too? Those ones. Not sure how best to describe it.

But I'm setting up shop. Woohoo!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-28-2014, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Meant to clarify that it's a hand plane I have.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-28-2014, 06:29 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I did that for a while tried to do work in an apartment and had a lot of trouble with neighbors because of the noise. I finally had to set up a work shop in a mini warehouse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 10-28-2014, 07:44 PM

View Chamfer's Photo Album My Photos
Check out the carving section/forum. I would imagine thats probably the only type of WW'ing youll get away with in an apartment.

Been there done that. Never again.
post #5 of 8 Old 10-28-2014, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Oh that sucks Steve. Were you like me and attempting it with all hand tools? Also I've used my dremel, and that I find is noisy but nothing was said about that. So I think I should be ok with hand tools, hand plane, glue and clamps. Thanks for the concern regardless.

Plus I'd love to see the neighbour below me complain. Many times we can hear his surround sound going full blast. Feels like we're in their living room.
post #6 of 8 Old 10-28-2014, 08:33 PM

View Chamfer's Photo Album My Photos
Lots of neat thing things can be made with hand tools. But any kind of power tool other than maybe a drill is probably going to cause a fuss.
post #7 of 8 Old 10-28-2014, 08:49 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
start with some hand tools

The basics can be very rewarding and you'll have a sense of accomplishment. You Tube is loaded with "How To" videos using hand tools:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU7Wrfl4Bnw

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #8 of 8 Old 10-29-2014, 12:06 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korosu View Post
Oh that sucks Steve. Were you like me and attempting it with all hand tools? Also I've used my dremel, and that I find is noisy but nothing was said about that. So I think I should be ok with hand tools, hand plane, glue and clamps. Thanks for the concern regardless.

Plus I'd love to see the neighbour below me complain. Many times we can hear his surround sound going full blast. Feels like we're in their living room.
I think the loudest thing I used was a electric drill. Most of the complaint was from me woodcarving. I couldn't carve walnut without a mallet and the neighbors complained about the hammering. Even though I made a point to stop making noise before 9pm I got in trouble.

It's funny you mention the surround sound. I live in the country now and can't get away from neighbors music. There is even one person that is 1/2 mile from me as the crow fly's and they play music so loud until midnight I can make out what the music is from my house. I would hate to be one of his close neighbors.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode