Weather - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 7Likes

post #1 of 22 Old 01-11-2020, 12:37 AM Thread Starter

View homestd's Photo Album My Photos
Weather

Walking the dog at 11:30 pm on Jan. 10 in Kentucky wearing a t-shirt and sweat pants, no jacket. I've lived here all my life and this weather is just NOT RIGHT!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 01-11-2020, 10:31 AM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Primed and ready for a tornado or two, I'm afraid! We had some high winds come through last night here in NW LA and damage was done. It's the same system that ended up in KY. It was 73 at 10 pm last night here, as well. But it's suppose to hit low 30's tonight - weird!

David
homestd likes this.

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel and Instagram
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #3 of 22 Old 01-11-2020, 04:30 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Raining sideways last night with an active tornado and flash flood warning. Got 2-3 inches of snow in about 45 minutes this afternoon.

Trade ya

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 01-11-2020, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfail48 View Post
Raining sideways last night with an active tornado and flash flood warning. Got 2-3 inches of snow in about 45 minutes this afternoon.

Trade ya

Hey, I'm a snow baby, just haven't seen much of it in the last few years. But I keep the old Jeep ready just in case.

post #5 of 22 Old 01-11-2020, 05:51 PM
Wood machinist

Some damage to schools, roads, trees down, power outages, etc. and it's now almost 40 colder than it was last night when we went to bed. Locally 3 lives lost during the storm so it was bad enough, for certain. We didn't have any damage and oddly never lost power. We usually lose power if the wind blows 5 mph!

Hope everyone on the forum and your families and friends made it through without any damage or issues!

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
The Following User Says Thank You to difalkner For This Useful Post:
BigJim (01-12-2020)
post #6 of 22 Old 01-11-2020, 08:31 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
last Night............
Photo 1 shows 3 trees. This was taken about a week or so ago.
Photo 2 shows middle tree missing. Took this pic this morning.
I believe a tornado, a small one, passed over. It was a scary few seconds.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Before 1.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	383363  

Name:	After 1.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	383365  

Name:	After 2.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	383367  

Name:	After 4.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	383369  

Name:	After 5.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	383371  

gj13us and AwesomeOpossum74 like this.

Tony B Retired woodworker, among other things.

"Strive for excellence and settle for completion" Tony B
post #7 of 22 Old 01-11-2020, 10:01 PM
Wood machinist

Wow! That's too close! Hope everyone is safe.

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
post #8 of 22 Old 01-11-2020, 10:39 PM

Yes Thanks. We are both fine.
That tree was about 2 feet from my window and about 1 1/2 feet from my bottom step. After the noise and shaking and shuttering for a few seconds things calmed down a bit. I opened the front door and noticed the tree was down. Actually hadn't noticed it as much as a big hole in the ground with roots sticking up in the air. Was a shocker for me cause I wasn't expecting it. It was still windy and some rain falling a little after 10:10 PM last night. I know it was about 10;10 PM because I was watching the weather on weather.com around 10PM and it predicted the storm will pass by 10:15 PM so I figured ok, I can go to sleep now. As soon as I laid down, i heard the slow rumble of thunder and then that freight train sound in the rumble. yelled to my partner, get in bathroom quick. I knew it was too late to make a run for the public restrooms (concrete building) only 100 fett away. Also was aaware of the big trees over the RV and the fact that an RV is definitelt no match for what was about to hit. heard the hail from the storm, then the acorns dropping sounded like bowling balls hitting the roof. Anyway, a few seconds later and it was over. I doubt if the whole incident lasted more than 10 seconds or so. Tomorrow I will climb up on the roof and look for signs of damage,

Anyway, hope the rest of you have a safe and quiet experience with this storm system.
BigJim and difalkner like this.

post #9 of 22 Old 01-12-2020, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

You're really lucky the tree fell where it did instead of 90 degrees different or you probably wouldn't be posting now. Glad you're OK.

post #10 of 22 Old 01-12-2020, 12:40 AM
Ancient Termite

View NoThankyou's Photo Album My Photos
I haven't worn a coat outside for cold since I don't remember.
I admit that a lot of it is go outside and get into the truck. Drive to the store. Go into the store. Get into the truck to go home. Still a jacket only if it is raining.

"T" shirt weather. When Dallas Raines says "It is going to be cold tomorrow." he means two "T" shirts and mid 50. We haven't had anything below the mid 40s at night since I can't remember. With the ocean on one side and the topology protecting us on the other side, north west Huntington Beach is probably the best climate on earth. Never too hot, never too cold, almost no overly humid days, The gas company says I'm using 5 to 8 Therms a month. Gas bills have not gone over $60, although we cook with microwaves and an electric cook top.

Rich
In furniture 1/32" is a Grand Canyon
post #11 of 22 Old 01-12-2020, 10:16 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
last Night............
Photo 1 shows 3 trees. This was taken about a week or so ago.
Photo 2 shows middle tree missing. Took this pic this morning.
I believe a tornado, a small one, passed over. It was a scary few seconds.
You said, "Photo 2 shows middle tree missing. I say, "It missed, but only barely."

Time to go out and buy a lottery ticket. :-)
post #12 of 22 Old 01-12-2020, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Agnostic View Post
You said, "Photo 2 shows middle tree missing. I say, "It missed, but only barely."

Time to go out and buy a lottery ticket. :-)
Yes we will get some lottery tickets when we get to town. Fortunately my GF never been in a tornado before, so initially she had no idea how scary it could get. Then she learned quickly.
I heard it coming several seconds before it hit. Wasn;t enough time to panic. When i felt the shaking and shuttering, a bunch of 'what ifs' ran through my mind. The hail sounded like rocks and the acorns sounded like bowling bowls hitting the roof. These days RV's are put together with tissue paper and spit.
The park was pretty empty of campers, so no one would have even looked for us till the next morning. One tree came down on a spot that was occupied the day before by tent campers. I mean the EXACT spot where their tent was. Tomorrow, we will start to cut the tree apart and remove it.

post #13 of 22 Old 01-12-2020, 06:57 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by homestd View Post
Hey, I'm a snow baby, just haven't seen much of it in the last few years. But I keep the old Jeep ready just in case.
Oh, that was a serious offer. It was 68 and sunny out 3 days ago, when i walked to work the day before yesterday it was 55f and clear blule skies, an hour later the sky was sideways, then the snow, 20f most of yesterday, todays its 50f and sunny. Take this schizophrenic weather, its giving me a headache!
homestd likes this.

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #14 of 22 Old 01-12-2020, 07:55 PM

View Kerrys's Photo Album My Photos
Wow! Glad the tree missed you guys.
post #15 of 22 Old 01-12-2020, 08:55 PM

View redeared's Photo Album My Photos
It was 68 here in CT today with a lot of people out walking in shorts, I even found a salamander walking in the driveway which I relocated into the garden. It will drop 30 degrees tomorrow more back to normal.
post #16 of 22 Old 01-13-2020, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerrys View Post
Wow! Glad the tree missed you guys.
No more glad than we are. LOL
I;m like a freaking tornado magnet. I have experienced them before. I knew the sound.
The weather had been threatening all day on the radio but not actually experiencing it. This is typically the case. I checked weather.com and didnt see anything worthwhile . The storm was nothing to talk about and was scheduled to pass over in the next 15 minutes so i figured "OK, all is well, now I can go to sleep." i turned off the weather radio and just as i laid down in bed, I heard it coming. Whooo, Whoo, whoo, whoo, in a steady beat. Told the GF to get in the bathroom. Not really any protection in an RV, but no other choice.

She asked, should we run for the public restrooms only about 150 feet or less away from us. Told her it was too late for that. Then the hail hit. Then the shaking and fluttering in a steady beat and then it was over. Over in seconds, not even close to a minute. Then a little rain and wind around 30MPH or so and then calm. Opened the door and was staring up at the roots of a 2-3 foot diameter tree. Looked down the steps and there was a big hole from the roots. After reporting a possible emergency to 911, then called the park superintendent, then walked around to see if the other campers were ok. Every one was just fine.
Kerrys likes this.

post #17 of 22 Old 01-13-2020, 07:26 AM

This is looking down at my front steps
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010021.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	383441  

post #18 of 22 Old 01-13-2020, 10:05 AM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by redeared View Post
It was 68 here in CT today with a lot of people out walking in shorts, I even found a salamander walking in the driveway which I relocated into the garden. It will drop 30 degrees tomorrow more back to normal.
May I respectfully suggest? Salamanders need water or a wet environment as they breath through their skin. It wouldn't leave the wet and crawl across a dry driveway. Only way it would do this would be to move to a pool for breeding. What is fascinating is to watch them with an indirect light, doing the liebspeil or love dance; a mating ritual. Used to catch them here in the mountains about this time of year when conditions are similar. I'm guessing it was a lizard of some sort. Nature is amazing!

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.
post #19 of 22 Old 01-13-2020, 01:02 PM

View gj13us's Photo Album My Photos
'Bout all we can say of the bad weather is the rain and wind came in so strong that it woke me up about 1AM Sunday. I thought, 'I feel sorry for anyone who's got to be outside in that....Dang, I jinxed myself.'

A few minutes later my wife said our daughter just texted that she was ready to come home from a party.

The kids have tried to go skiing half a 7 or 8 times in the past few weeks and either cancelled it themselves or the resort closed. I think they've been on the icy slushy slopes three times total.
post #20 of 22 Old 01-13-2020, 09:47 PM

View redeared's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineknot_86 View Post
May I respectfully suggest? Salamanders need water or a wet environment as they breath through their skin. It wouldn't leave the wet and crawl across a dry driveway. Only way it would do this would be to move to a pool for breeding. What is fascinating is to watch them with an indirect light, doing the liebspeil or love dance; a mating ritual. Used to catch them here in the mountains about this time of year when conditions are similar. I'm guessing it was a lizard of some sort. Nature is amazing!

I am well versed on herps, I have snakes, toads, and turtles, it was a red back salamander and it was raining, obviously it came out off hibernation early because of the warm weather. The same day my wife unknowingly ran over a decay snake in the driveway obviously due to the same reason.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode