Veteran's discount at Lowe's - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 28 Old 03-13-2012, 12:40 AM Thread Starter

View CJWillie's Photo Album My Photos
Veteran's discount at Lowe's

I read recently on one the woodworking sites that Lowe's gave a 10% discount to veterans everyday. I have been getting the discount everytime I go there since finding out about this. While waiting for a price check the other day, I read a sign by the register that said the discount was only to active, retired, and disabled vets everyday and all other vets on veteran's day and a couple other days. I show my old pink ID they gave me when I got out and they have never questioned it. Has anyone ever had anyone question them about this or refuse them? Should I continue to take advantage of this or stop? For the record, I do not get any other veteran's benefits.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 03-13-2012, 03:32 AM
Splinter Picker

View jharris's Photo Album My Photos
Hell yeah you should take advantage of this. As a vet you deserve it!

Thank you for your service.
post #3 of 28 Old 03-13-2012, 04:50 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
I get the discount from both Lowes and HD all the time. I show them one of my cards from the 60's. Sometimes they don't even ask.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 03-13-2012, 05:16 AM

View yocalif's Photo Album My Photos
If you have VA medical card that works too.
post #5 of 28 Old 03-13-2012, 06:24 AM

View Murphy's Law's Photo Album My Photos
I've never been challenged at Lowes because I'm a disabled vet and it's obvious. I think that Lowes should be commended for their respect for our veterans and their generosity. Maybe (just maybe) if we would patronize the places that honor our veterans others would offer discounts, too.
post #6 of 28 Old 03-13-2012, 07:23 AM

View Taylormade's Photo Album My Photos
The Home Depots in my area have been told to start scrutinizing Military IDs to ensure they're still current. For about two years, I was able to flash my expired military ID and get 10% off with the greatest of ease. The last three times I've tried, they grabbed it with both hands and searched for the expiration date and handed it back to me and said "Sorry, only on Flag holidays" (Memorial Day, 4th of July, Veterans Day).

At Lowes, every time I pulled out the ID, they had to have a manager come over to authorize it. Works sometimes, sometimes it doesn't.

Ut Prosim
post #7 of 28 Old 03-13-2012, 10:42 AM

View tito5's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJWillie View Post
I read a sign by the register that said the discount was only to active, retired, and disabled vets everyday and all other vets on veteran's day and a couple other days.
Help with my ignorance, what other type of vets are there? In my opinion, and thought, if you served you are a vet.
post #8 of 28 Old 03-13-2012, 10:50 AM

View busterswoodshop's Photo Album My Photos
I use the discount also. They are making it more difficult to do though. The cashier used to be able to give it to you.
Now the cashier has to call a manager over to inter the 10% discount.
I think they are just trying to phase it out.
post #9 of 28 Old 03-13-2012, 11:14 AM

View Jim West Pa's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tito5 View Post
Help with my ignorance, what other type of vets are there? In my opinion, and thought, if you served you are a vet.

+1

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for me; JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN SOLDIER. One died for my soul,the other for my freedom."

At birth, God bestowed each & everyone of us with the most important responsibility there is..................FREE WILL.
post #10 of 28 Old 03-13-2012, 11:23 AM

View Itchy Brother's Photo Album My Photos
I was in the army in 1966-1968.A few times the clerk told me that ya have to have a card ID and be active. Many, many times Ive recieved the discount by just showing them my DD214.The last time I was there the manager was helping me by showing me a carpet cleaning machine,$279.I told him I was a vet but not active and Id buy it if he could give me the discount.He said Ill go with you to the cashier and Ill make sure you get it because your always in here purchasing.They have some latitude,especially if you making a big purchase.

***For the record*** Ive made hundreds of guitar bodies,never put one together and cant play a note.
post #11 of 28 Old 03-13-2012, 03:42 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by busterswoodshop View Post
I use the discount also. They are making it more difficult to do though. The cashier used to be able to give it to you.
Now the cashier has to call a manager over to inter the 10% discount.
I think they are just trying to phase it out.
Our local used to meed a managers override. They changed that about 18 months ago. Now the clerk can handle it all by him/herself.

George
post #12 of 28 Old 03-13-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
What other type of veterans are there. Most veterans do not fit into the active, retired or disabled category. They are the all others.

What they are saying is that the discount is only intended to be used by active, retired and disabled veterans. It is not intended to be used by anyone who does not fit one of those categories.

Obviously from the posts on here, many stores are very liberal in giving the discount. Out local store requires an ID card that matches one of the three categories.

George
post #13 of 28 Old 03-13-2012, 04:30 PM

View Itchy Brother's Photo Album My Photos
Other types are the ones like me.I volunteered to serve two years in the vietnam era,1966.Not retired,not disabled not active.Im a vet but really dont qualify for a discount at Lowe's.If they -the individual cashier will accept my DD-214 then Ill take the discount.

***For the record*** Ive made hundreds of guitar bodies,never put one together and cant play a note.

Last edited by Itchy Brother; 03-13-2012 at 04:33 PM.
post #14 of 28 Old 03-13-2012, 05:11 PM

View TomC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tito5

What they mean is the person is currently on active duty, retired from the military(20 years of service or more), or disabled because of military service. I am a veteran because I served in the military but I don't fit one of the listed category.
Tom
The Following User Says Thank You to TomC For This Useful Post:
tito5 (03-13-2012)
post #15 of 28 Old 03-13-2012, 05:29 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Veteran: A person who has served in a military force.

post #16 of 28 Old 03-13-2012, 06:20 PM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylormade View Post
The Home Depots in my area have been told to start scrutinizing Military IDs to ensure they're still current. For about two years, I was able to flash my expired military ID and get 10% off with the greatest of ease. The last three times I've tried, they grabbed it with both hands and searched for the expiration date and handed it back to me and said "Sorry, only on Flag holidays" (Memorial Day, 4th of July, Veterans Day).

At Lowes, every time I pulled out the ID, they had to have a manager come over to authorize it. Works sometimes, sometimes it doesn't.
I'm good because mine says indef.

Quote:
They want valid ID. I know a VA card works most of the time and anyone can go register and get a VA Medical card as long as you served and have a honorable type discharge.
post #17 of 28 Old 03-13-2012, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchy Brother View Post
Other types are the ones like me.I volunteered to serve two years in the vietnam era,1966.Not retired,not disabled not active.Im a vet but really dont qualify for a discount at Lowe's.If they -the individual cashier will accept my DD-214 then Ill take the discount.
Do you carry your DD-214 around with you? Mine is registered with the county and kept in a safe deposit box.

George
The Following User Says Thank You to GeorgeC For This Useful Post:
Itchy Brother (03-14-2012)
post #18 of 28 Old 03-13-2012, 09:27 PM

View Taylormade's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
Do you carry your DD-214 around with you? Mine is registered with the county and kept in a safe deposit box.

George
I have copies all over the place, in fact I keep one in the glove box, just for the times when I can use it for discounts.

Ut Prosim
post #19 of 28 Old 03-13-2012, 09:29 PM
In History is the Future

View firemedic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylormade

I have copies all over the place, in fact I keep one in the glove box, just for the times when I can use it for discounts.

...build n burn - live n learn...
post #20 of 28 Old 03-13-2012, 10:03 PM
Log dog

View Dominick's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman
Veteran: A person who has served in a military force.

+1 cabby.

Name:  image-4247000385.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  36.4 KB

When it's rustic......it's rustic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode