Trying to solve a mystery of messy toilet. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By woodnthings
  • 1 Post By Steve Neul
  • 1 Post By Kerrys
  • 1 Post By Steve Neul
  • 1 Post By Steve Neul
  • 1 Post By Steve Neul

post #1 of 12 Old 06-14-2019, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

View Sleeper's Photo Album My Photos
Question Trying to solve a mystery of messy toilet.

I have a large single story home with 4 bathrooms and we only use 2 of them, but I do go around at least once a month flushing and filling the drain traps. There is something happening to one of the toilets that we don’t use. Whenever I go in there the toilet has some sort of crap in it and I can’t figure out what it is or where it came from. There is nobody else here to use the thing and even if there was, everybody we know flushes.

All the toilets are at the same level so it couldn’t be backwash. We keep the cat litter box in that bath and thought maybe one of the cats were taking a dump in it, but my wife has been keeping the lid shut.

Anyone care to guess what it might be?

JohnnyB
Iím a die hard DIY guy. Donít tell me to hire someone for what I can do myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-15-2019, 01:42 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
It's time for .......

You need some video surveillance.
Sleeper likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #3 of 12 Old 06-15-2019, 05:47 AM Thread Starter

I think i'll go up on the roof tomorrow to see if the vent pipe for this bath might be clogged up with a birds nest. If the vent was clogged and the septic burped, it just might end up in the toilet. Either that or we got a ghost.

JohnnyB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 06-15-2019, 07:17 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
The vent being plugged wouldn't have anything to do with a toilet not being used. My guess is if it sits for a long period of time not being used the chlorine in the water dissipates and algae is growing in the water.
Sleeper likes this.
post #5 of 12 Old 06-15-2019, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
The vent being plugged wouldn't have anything to do with a toilet not being used. My guess is if it sits for a long period of time not being used the chlorine in the water dissipates and algae is growing in the water.
The only thing is that there is another unused bath on the other side of the wall without this problem. But you maybe right about the vent now that I think of it because I'm sure both toilets share the same vent.

The bedrooms were the baths are located both have their own outside doors and I even changed the looks thinking someone might have a key. Even that idea doesn't make sense because the nearest house to us is 300 ft away and nobody can come up to the house without being seen.

There isn't anything in the tank that can cause it so I just don't know.

JohnnyB
post #6 of 12 Old 06-15-2019, 10:26 AM

View Kerrys's Photo Album My Photos
I love a good mystery...
Sleeper likes this.
post #7 of 12 Old 06-15-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
The only thing is that there is another unused bath on the other side of the wall without this problem. But you maybe right about the vent now that I think of it because I'm sure both toilets share the same vent.

The bedrooms were the baths are located both have their own outside doors and I even changed the looks thinking someone might have a key. Even that idea doesn't make sense because the nearest house to us is 300 ft away and nobody can come up to the house without being seen.

There isn't anything in the tank that can cause it so I just don't know.
The vent is like the vent on a gas can. It's just eliminates the gluck gluck when emptied. On an unused toiled the bowl and the tank are like sitting a bucket of water in the room. Nothing pertaining to the plumbing has any affect on it. The reason I think it's algae is one time I had one of these water coolers with a clear plastic jug on it and I ran out of water. I just re-filled the jug with tap water and within a couple of weeks it started growing green stuff all over the inside of the jug.
Sleeper likes this.
post #8 of 12 Old 06-15-2019, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

I was thinking that if the vent was blocked and then the built up gasses in the septic tank might come up through the toilet trap bringing up what was ever still in the drain pipe.

They other thing I thought of was possibly a critter like a snake or rat. I've seen way too many of those photos and videos and I do have a large gopher snake that hangs out next to my septic tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Snake.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	395.2 KB
ID:	376351  

JohnnyB
post #9 of 12 Old 06-15-2019, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
I was thinking that if the vent was blocked and then the built up gasses in the septic tank might come up through the toilet trap bringing up what was ever still in the drain pipe.

They other thing I thought of was possibly a critter like a snake or rat. I've seen way too many of those photos and videos and I do have a large gopher snake that hangs out next to my septic tank.
You may have two traps preventing gasses coming from the septic tank. The toilet itself is a trap and often the sewer line has a trap downstream from the toilet. All it would take is one trap to stop sewer gasses.

If you had stuff coming into that toilet from elsewhere it would be from an obstruction in the sewer line and most likely the toilet would overflow onto the floor.
Sleeper likes this.
post #10 of 12 Old 06-16-2019, 06:18 PM

View Onefreetexan's Photo Album My Photos
Pay the $50, and have a Ďrealí plumber take a look...Should take him about ten minutes.

A friend owned a big printing company, he has a wonderful Heidelberg printer.... from Germany,,,,,One day it stopped working,,, he called the factory,,,$10,000 for a factory tech to fly over the next day,,,,the tech looked at it for a few minutes, took out his screwdriver,, turned one screw. Printer back in business. My friend goes ďWhat ,,?? I paid ten grand just to have you turn a screw?ííííí Tech answered,,,,No sir,, you paid ten grand to someone who knew WHICH way to turn the screw ď

Point is,, donít lose sleep over it,,, time to call in the pro.
post #11 of 12 Old 06-16-2019, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onefreetexan View Post
Pay the $50, and have a Ďrealí plumber take a look...Should take him about ten minutes..
$50 WOW, where do you live? The last time I called a plumber they wanted $2000 and didn't do anything except give me an estimate for $14000. Plumbers are allowed on my property,

JohnnyB
post #12 of 12 Old 06-16-2019, 09:46 PM

Why not flush the toilet weekly for a while and see if the problem goes away.
Sleeper likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode