Translate German - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 17 Old 02-10-2019, 12:55 AM Thread Starter

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Translate German

I have an old passport that I had translated and this line was missed and wondered what it says. It's in with the description of the person.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Immigration top.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	371629  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-10-2019, 01:55 AM
Former Member

View 35015's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
I have an old passport that I had translated and this line was missed and wondered what it says. It's in with the description of the person.
The phrase...with out context is hard to translate for me...I can go as far as:

"de ? Inhaber ?" which translates from German as: "the owner"

but the calligraphy scrip has me confused......and it looks like to me as it is stating, "the 6 owner 6" which on a vintage passport makes no sense to me, so I must be missing something???

Hope that was of some assistance...
post #3 of 17 Old 02-10-2019, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay C. White Cloud View Post
The phrase...with out context is hard to translate for me...I can go as far as:

"de ? Inhaber ?" which translates from German as: "the owner"

but the calligraphy scrip has me confused......and it looks like to me as it is stating, "the 6 owner 6" which on a vintage passport makes no sense to me, so I must be missing something???

Hope that was of some assistance...
Thank you for the information. The line was taken from the left column just below Description. The person that translated it for me went from description to his age and I never noticed before that one line that wasn't translated. I had scanned the document and was in the process of running it through photoshop and erasing the German replacing it with English to have a written translation. The line "the 6 owner 6" still wouldn't make sense to me. From what I know the man came alone, he wouldn't have been in a party of 6.

It's vintage for sure, the document is dated Feb, 18 1862. Somebody over the years, probably my mother has taped the document together with scotch tape and I've been in the process of removing the tape and adhesive off of it. I still need to work on the brown stains from the tape though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Immigration top2.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	492.1 KB
ID:	371631  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 02-10-2019, 04:59 PM
Former Member

Quote:
...Thank you for the information...
You are most welcome...

To be fully transparent...I'm not some linguistic genius or even multilingual at all...!!!... at least not by my standards nor academic canon...

I'm passable within many of the Asian, Eastern European and additional eclectic mixes here and there as it pertains to architecture, art, craft, and topics of interest...BUT...without a book or computer I'm pretty worthless in languages and being of assistance to someone...

Quote:
...The line was taken from the left column just below Description. The person that translated it for me went from description to his age and I never noticed before that one line that wasn't translated. I had scanned the document and was in the process of running it through photoshop and erasing the German replacing it with English to have a written translation.
That will be awesome to have for your family when complete...!!!...

Quote:
...The line "the 6 owner 6" still wouldn't make sense to me...From what I know the man came alone, he wouldn't have been in a party of 6
It doesn't to me either...???...not at all!!???

It may have to do with this individuals designation within the party (?) as you have alluded to...and/or "passport administrative" standards in Germany at that time. I assuredly em guessing at all of this to be sure, and know nothing of the topic...!!!

Quote:
...It's vintage for sure, the document is dated Feb, 18 1862. Somebody over the years, probably my mother has taped the document together with scotch tape and I've been in the process of removing the tape and adhesive off of it. I still need to work on the brown stains from the tape though...
I would be discourteous if I didn't, say thanks for sharing this with us.

I should also be clear (and hopefully helpful) in explaining the method(s) most common (other than books and (rote memory) that I typically employ in translating languages. It gets me far enough to achieve deeper research and/or find academics that can help me in my own edification on a subject of interest...

So, with that, if you wish to do more "digging" yourself, I use "google translate," most often and its a great community to get help from...

Königreich Hannover ("Kingdom of Hannover")...would that be where one of your ancestors came from and where this passport was issued? I can't make out the rest of the document well enough to get further with it...

It's truly fascinating that today we can get instant access to the other side of the world (in German of course) to see this history and information about it. I would had to have spent weeks (if not months) to get where this 15 minute post message got me...

Thanks again for sharing and asking the question...
post #5 of 17 Old 02-10-2019, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay C. White Cloud View Post
You are most welcome...

To be fully transparent...I'm not some linguistic genius or even multilingual at all...!!!... at least not by my standards nor academic canon...

I'm passable within many of the Asian, Eastern European and additional eclectic mixes here and there as it pertains to architecture, art, craft, and topics of interest...BUT...without a book or computer I'm pretty worthless in languages and being of assistance to someone...

That will be awesome to have for your family when complete...!!!...

It doesn't to me either...???...not at all!!???

It may have to do with this individuals designation within the party (?) as you have alluded to...and/or "passport administrative" standards in Germany at that time. I assuredly em guessing at all of this to be sure, and know nothing of the topic...!!!

I would be discourteous if I didn't, say thanks for sharing this with us.

I should also be clear (and hopefully helpful) in explaining the method(s) most common (other than books and (rote memory) that I typically employ in translating languages. It gets me far enough to achieve deeper research and/or find academics that can help me in my own edification on a subject of interest...

So, with that, if you wish to do more "digging" yourself, I use "google translate," most often and its a great community to get help from...

Königreich Hannover ("Kingdom of Hannover")...would that be where one of your ancestors came from and where this passport was issued? I can't make out the rest of the document well enough to get further with it...

It's truly fascinating that today we can get instant access to the other side of the world (in German of course) to see this history and information about it. I would had to have spent weeks (if not months) to get where this 15 minute post message got me...

Thanks again for sharing and asking the question...
Someone sent me a PM and what we were reading as 6 was an S. They noted that German notes a difference in gender as Des Inhabers as a male possessor of the document as oppose to Der Inhaberin as a female possessor of the document. The blank spaces were left to mark gender.
post #6 of 17 Old 02-10-2019, 05:40 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Someone sent me a PM and what we were reading as 6 was an S. They noted that German notes a difference in gender as Des Inhabers as a male possessor of the document as oppose to Der Inhaberin as a female possessor of the document. The blank spaces were left to mark gender.
Well that's very interesting...I would have never guessed that it was gender related, but now it makes sense...Sounds like you got some help from someone better versed in all this...That's great!!!

Good luck!
post #7 of 17 Old 02-15-2019, 05:33 PM

View holtzdreher's Photo Album My Photos
Inhaber also means bearer, or possessor, holder. It is most likely an "s" The most confusing part of learning German is the 8 variations they have for the word "the" Each is used with a particular gender and tense of verb. Des is the form of "the " that refers to either masculine or neuter nouns. Most of us are familiar with "das" or "der" for the word "the" as used in local tourism in parts of the USA with some German heritage. But there was also den, dem, die, des, There is a table of these that German students are to memorize and learn to use appropriately. It was my down fall in my first two years of German in High school. However, my 3rd and 4th years of German had an emphasis on German Literature and philosophy, I could read a German Book or magazine easily, but I could never get the knack of which was the proper form of "the" to write in German. I picked some of it up just from reading common phrases. But I still cannot figure them out when to use which of them.
post #8 of 17 Old 02-15-2019, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by holtzdreher View Post
Inhaber also means bearer, or possessor, holder. It is most likely an "s" The most confusing part of learning German is the 8 variations they have for the word "the" Each is used with a particular gender and tense of verb. Des is the form of "the " that refers to either masculine or neuter nouns. Most of us are familiar with "das" or "der" for the word "the" as used in local tourism in parts of the USA with some German heritage. But there was also den, dem, die, des, There is a table of these that German students are to memorize and learn to use appropriately. It was my down fall in my first two years of German in High school. However, my 3rd and 4th years of German had an emphasis on German Literature and philosophy, I could read a German Book or magazine easily, but I could never get the knack of which was the proper form of "the" to write in German. I picked some of it up just from reading common phrases. But I still cannot figure them out when to use which of them.
English is suppose to be the hardest language to learn. With so many words meaning different things sometimes with just a minor spelling difference, it's no wonder so many folks here talk about putting a rabbit on a board.

When I went to high school the only foreign language offered was French. I would have never made use of it and by now would have forgotten everything not being able to use it. There was a time when I could have used Spanish but not anymore. That was more than 25 years ago and what little I learned have forgotten.
post #9 of 17 Old 04-12-2019, 12:12 PM

View rushers's Photo Album My Photos
i am not perfect german speaker, because i studied english in school
post #10 of 17 Old 04-13-2019, 07:18 PM

View holtzdreher's Photo Album My Photos
I watch a lot of turning videos in German and Russian. I can barely follow the German and totally gave up on Russian. But sometimes, the way the person demonstrates tool use is so much better than watching 20 English videos'
post #11 of 17 Old 04-14-2019, 03:56 PM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
Could a local college or university help with the translation? Seems like you are off to a good start here. Studied German in college, not for conversation but research. Several of us could hold a basic conversation after a while.

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.
post #12 of 17 Old 04-14-2019, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineknot_86 View Post
Could a local college or university help with the translation? Seems like you are off to a good start here. Studied German in college, not for conversation but research. Several of us could hold a basic conversation after a while.
I had another member give me the information I was needing in a private message. Most of the document had been translated years earlier by a relative, it was just this one line that was missed.

This is a tintype of the man probably taken not too many years after coming to this country.
Attached Images

post #13 of 17 Old 04-17-2019, 07:19 AM

View rushers's Photo Album My Photos
I try to study German by myself. But it is hard and i do not have much time for it. I am student and study foreign literature in college. Yesterday I got task to write essay about German literature. So i need to start to write it. I am bad in writing and so i use help with writing informative essay on
https://essaypro.com/blog/informative-essay/

Last edited by rushers; 04-17-2019 at 08:10 AM.
post #14 of 17 Old 04-17-2019, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushers View Post
I try to study German by myself. But it is hard and i do not have much time for it. I am student and study foreign literature in college. Yesterday I got task to write essay about German literature. So i need to start to write it. I am bad in writing and so i use help with writing informative essay on
https://essaypro.com/blog/informative-essay/
Learning any new language is difficult especially if you are an adult. Being in Texas at one time I tried to teach myself Spanish and didn't get very far with it. Then circumstances changed where I didn't have the opportunity to practice it much and I have forgotten what little I learned.
post #15 of 17 Old 04-17-2019, 01:54 PM

View TomCT2's Photo Album My Photos
it's spam for a cheat - paper writing "service"
post #16 of 17 Old 04-17-2019, 08:36 PM

View brucet999's Photo Album My Photos
That is des Inhabers. The ending of some words change with gender or case, so the last part of the words in the document had to be handwritten to be grammatically correct.

It means "of the owner"

BruceT
post #17 of 17 Old 04-17-2019, 10:40 PM

View hawkeye10's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by holtzdreher View Post
I watch a lot of turning videos in German and Russian. I can barely follow the German and totally gave up on Russian. But sometimes, the way the person demonstrates tool use is so much better than watching 20 English videos'
I watched a turning video today that a young German boy had posted. It was a very good video but I couldn't understand a word he said.

Don in Murfreesboro, TN.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode