tiny workshop - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By woodnthings
  • 1 Post By woodnthings

post #1 of 17 Old 02-15-2019, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

View holtzdreher's Photo Album My Photos
tiny workshop

You have heard of a tiny house. A few of us with our local Lion's club set up and sell turned Christmas ornaments, craft decorations, wreathes etc in November and December. It is my experience that people like to see the items being made. I was thinking of making a tiny workshop that will fit on my 6.5 x 12.5 flat bed trailer, that could be used on the trailer (with steps) or rolled off the trailer for a ten day event. I have access to a 30 amp rv hook up when at the ten day event. I was thinking of a small bench top lathe, scroll saw and drill press across one end, and then a counter space where wreathes are made. Most items would be displayed out side on racks anyway and it would be just right for one or two people working at a time. Three would be tight. I have an old 4 gal shop vac for dust collection, Total power needs would only be about 25 amps. with LED lighting. I have a lot of 2x6's left over from the packing of a modular house. Probably enough to do a 2x 6 platform for the floor and 2x4's for the walls. There were 6 bundles of shingles and several pieces of plywood . The only thing I would need is t-111 for the sides. Anybody ever consider such a thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-15-2019, 05:05 PM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by holtzdreher View Post
You have heard of a tiny house. A few of us with our local Lion's club set up and sell turned Christmas ornaments, craft decorations, wreathes etc in November and December. It is my experience that people like to see the items being made. I was thinking of making a tiny workshop that will fit on my 6.5 x 12.5 flat bed trailer, that could be used on the trailer (with steps) or rolled off the trailer for a ten day event. I have access to a 30 amp rv hook up when at the ten day event. I was thinking of a small bench top lathe, scroll saw and drill press across one end, and then a counter space where wreathes are made. Most items would be displayed out side on racks anyway and it would be just right for one or two people working at a time. Three would be tight. I have an old 4 gal shop vac for dust collection, Total power needs would only be about 25 amps. with LED lighting. I have a lot of 2x6's left over from the packing of a modular house. Probably enough to do a 2x 6 platform for the floor and 2x4's for the walls. There were 6 bundles of shingles and several pieces of plywood . The only thing I would need is t-111 for the sides. Anybody ever consider such a thing.
Sounds like a very cool idea.

I'm curious about 6.5x12.5(outside dimensions) being enough space to really work in.

Seems really small to me?
post #3 of 17 Old 02-15-2019, 05:16 PM

View sanchez's Photo Album My Photos
Well, my basement workshop is 10 x 16, and it has lots of big tools, so I bet you could make it work!

Post up some pictures as you progress. This would be interesting to see how you make the most of your space.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 02-15-2019, 05:42 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Yes, but not by me ....

see post 5 and 13 here:
https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f2/s...-your-shop-73/

https://www.google.com/search?q=wood...CAQQCg#imgrc=_
BigJim and 35015 like this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 02-15-2019 at 05:55 PM.
post #5 of 17 Old 02-15-2019, 05:46 PM
Smart and Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchez View Post
Well, my basement workshop is 10 x 16, and it has lots of big tools, so I bet you could make it work!

Post up some pictures as you progress. This would be interesting to see how you make the most of your space.
You have 160 sq ft, 10x16 inside dimensions. By the time he finishes his space it will be 5.5x11.5 due to the framing, and wall covering, that is 63.5 sq ft. The only way to see if it will work is to figure out what you want in there, and how much space it occupies. I've been in 6x12 enclosed trailers, they seemed really small to me.
post #6 of 17 Old 02-15-2019, 11:28 PM
Recycled Member

Location: Magnificently mountainous McBride in the Robson Valley
View Brian T's Photo Album My Photos
Draw the deck on graph paper.
Draw footprints of the machines and benches on graph paper and cut them out.
Lay out the shop. See what fits and where.

Friend near Seattle does a lot of 3-12hr BBQ for various agencies and charities.
He's got it all on a trailer like yours, even water and a sink!
The BBQ is so big, the door is counter-weighted to get it open.

He can cook at 60 mph on I-5.

Do it. I'd stop to watch and more than likely buy something.
At the Sawdust Art Festival in Laguna Beach,

I bought a wine glass that I had watched being made the night before.
post #7 of 17 Old 02-16-2019, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot summ View Post
Quote:

You have 160 sq ft, 10x16 inside dimensions. By the time he finishes his space it will be 5.5x11.5 due to the framing, and wall covering, that is 63.5 sq ft. The only way to see if it will work is to figure out what you want in there, and how much space it occupies. I've been in 6x12 enclosed trailers, they seemed really small to me.
Well shoot summ, I guess if we really want to get precise, T-111 siding code approved for 16" OC is 3/8", suitable drywall or plywood is 1/2", so we're talking 8.75" of total wall thickness, which means 69.25"x 141.25" "so 67.9275 sq ft.....

Or you could have just noticed that I was trying to be encouraging and interested in holtz's proposal, just like you were in the post immediately preceding mine...

It is really small, that's why he said "tiny". I think we would all agree on that point.

Last edited by sanchez; 02-16-2019 at 12:43 AM.
post #8 of 17 Old 02-16-2019, 07:43 AM
Smart and Cool

Quote:
Well shoot summ, I guess if we really want to get precise, T-111 siding code approved for 16" OC is 3/8", suitable drywall or plywood is 1/2", so we're talking 8.75" of total wall thickness, which means 69.25"x 141.25" "so 67.9275 sq ft.....

Or you could have just noticed that I was trying to be encouraging and interested in holtz's proposal, just like you were in the post immediately preceding mine...

It is really small, that's why he said "tiny". I think we would all agree on that point.
Well sanchez, the dimensions were used to demonstrate that it really is tiny. With your precise calculation, based on a 6x12 deck reference that has not been validated, we can see that with the space is still tiny...

Or you could have noticed that I indicated "The only way to see if it will work is to figure out what you want in there, and how much space it occupies", still showing encouragment, but also helping the OP to work through the idea.

It might also be that I have some recent experience with outfitting a "tiny" space, and have seen the challenges in doing so, and gotten feedback from the people that are trying to utilize that space, DAILY.

Not sure what your attitude is about man, maybe you didn't intend it to sound like you did, or maybe you did, but there is no reason for attitude.
post #9 of 17 Old 02-16-2019, 08:47 AM

Basically, I thought it was a very odd and pointless comment to say that my shop was 160 sq ft, and his tiny trailer shop would be much smaller. Of course they're not comparable.

Maybe you didn't mean your post to look like you were trying to prove, with numerical examples, that my basement workshop is bigger than a little trailer workshop, but it sure looked like it.

If you didn't, I'm more than happy to apologize for my post.

Anyway, we both want to see what holtz does, so let's just have a good day, and come back later to see his progress.

Last edited by sanchez; 02-16-2019 at 08:51 AM.
post #10 of 17 Old 02-16-2019, 10:22 AM
CharleyL

View CharleyL's Photo Album My Photos
I would not use T1-11 or 2 X 4 framing for the walls. You don't need the walls that thick or heavy. 2 X 2 framing and 3/8 plywood would be plenty strong. Use foam sheet insulation between the 2 X 2 and, if desired, thin 1/4" plywood paneling on the inside. You will gain floor space and thank me when it comes time to move it. So the people can see you, are you planning on big windows, or swing open/up doors? If windows, consider thin Lexan sheeting. Lexan is what they make bullet proof windows from. It doesn't break like Plexiglass does, and thin sheets of it aren't that expensive.

Charley
post #11 of 17 Old 02-16-2019, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, yes windows. My small bench lathe is only about 10 x 28. The scroll saw has the biggest foot print at 24 deep and 14 inches wide. The drill press foot print is small, only 10 inches wide and 19 inches deep. I figure a counter on one end about 14 inches wide and then part way across the front, perhaps the same. The drill press and scroll saw will mostly fit into corners (at least enough to fasten down.) and the counter across part of the front. with a window about about 36 inches by 30 inches high. Cabinets under neath for stock and tools. The wreath making only requires a counter and can be tilted slightly like a drafting table. We already have some hanging display racks that are fairly flat. (only an inch deep) It would be enough for two to work and a third would be cramped, but doable. Lighting would be easy enough. Yes I would use at least an inch of foam board insulation and perhaps even a 200 Watt radiant flat panel electric heater for cold weather. I appreciate all the comments.
post #12 of 17 Old 02-16-2019, 01:11 PM
Ole Woodworker

View BigJim's Photo Album My Photos
For a little extra room inside, you could install some brackets and put the walls outside the trailer. I built a little teardrop camper and used 2X2s for the walls, like CharleyL suggested.

Lowes did have some 5/16 inch camo plywood for a good price. That is what I used inside the little camper. Outside I used 1/4 inch and covered with aluminum sheeting. I used rigid Styrofoam inside the walls. This was in 2006, it is still on the road in great shape. When installing the plywood on the walls, use a good glue and staples, it will be there til the cows come home.

On another camper, for the roof, I made like the old railroad cars of years back, that was 6 or 7 years ago, still holding up great and no leaks at all.

Another suggestion, water proof the underside of the floor, it will keep water and moisture out. I also insulated the floor then water proofed it. I used a fiber type of roofing cement to water proof, can't remember the name but it sure worked well.

I put the water proofing on the underside first, then put the rigid styrofoam in the wet cement, then covered the styrofoam also.

http://www.diychatroom.com/
The Other
BigJim

If you do what you've always done, you will get what you've always got.

Last edited by BigJim; 02-16-2019 at 01:26 PM.
post #13 of 17 Old 02-16-2019, 01:31 PM
Smart and Cool

Quote:
Basically, I thought it was a very odd and pointless comment to say that my shop was 160 sq ft, and his tiny trailer shop would be much smaller. Of course they're not comparable.
We agree on those points, your 10x16 has no bearing on what the OP is building, that is why I used it as an example.
post #14 of 17 Old 02-16-2019, 01:58 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Here's your threads Big Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
For a little extra room inside, you could install some brackets and put the walls outside the trailer. I built a little teardrop camper and used 2X2s for the walls, like CharleyL suggested.

Lowes did have some 5/16 inch camo plywood for a good price. That is what I used inside the little camper. Outside I used 1/4 inch and covered with aluminum sheeting. I used rigid Styrofoam inside the walls. This was in 2006, it is still on the road in great shape. When installing the plywood on the walls, use a good glue and staples, it will be there til the cows come home.

On another camper, for the roof, I made like the old railroad cars of years back, that was 6 or 7 years ago, still holding up great and no leaks at all.

Another suggestion, water proof the underside of the floor, it will keep water and moisture out. I also insulated the floor then water proofed it. I used a fiber type of roofing cement to water proof, can't remember the name but it sure worked well.

I put the water proofing on the underside first, then put the rigid styrofoam in the wet cement, then covered the styrofoam also.

https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f2/w...-trailer-8135/

https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f2/t...camper-136025/

Some useful ideas here., one of which is a ladder to a roof top deck:
BigJim likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 02-16-2019 at 02:06 PM.
post #15 of 17 Old 02-16-2019, 02:35 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
I could see this if you had an expandable deck for the spectators while you worked inside, the floor area of your trailer should be adequate for for a turning exhibit. I guess this would depend on the temperature outside as to the working comfort.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #16 of 17 Old 02-17-2019, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Just came across this: some ideas there too.

https://inhabitat.com/nissan-unveils...aPnEwLpVa8Rg7A
post #17 of 17 Old 02-17-2019, 11:08 AM
Smart and Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by holtzdreher View Post
Just came across this: some ideas there too.

https://inhabitat.com/nissan-unveils...aPnEwLpVa8Rg7A
That is cool, the Ram Promaster is really popular as well, you can get the high roof versions.

My youngest Son and Daughter in Law are living in one we built out.

There was a guy that posted on here recently that does a really nice job on them, http://bridgeboundcampers.com/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode