Time and wishing for more time. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 07-04-2007, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

View joasis's Photo Album My Photos
Time and wishing for more time.

I just read the post about we need more posts....so:

I need more time....it is a wonder I have time to read the posts, and yes, I read every post, on this site and 3 others in our family, (contractortalk.com, diychatroom, and saw&timber.com).

Just so you guys know, I haven't posted anything in awhile since I haven't been near my woodshop or my mill since last winter....never enough time, especially since as a general contractor with a 6 month backlog of work, it is hard to get time when you aren't dead tired to get out in the shop. I was down watering the horses today and looked at my log pile (would make you drool, Daren) and thinking I have a weeks worth of sawing to get done. I am clearing timber for our new home site, building two new custom homes currently, and five steel buildings, plus a few remodels and commercial projects. I expanded our construction work by adding an insulation service and wrecking buildings, as if I didn't have enough to do...oh yeah, backhoe and bobcat service as well.....

Now, if I had time, this is what I would be doing:

I have some beautiful black walnut that I sawed 2 years ago, ready to go, 8% moisture, and I need to build three grandfather clocks, mission style, for gifts for Christmas.....three more cedar chests (and Daren, I have boards like you do, 16 feet long and clear, makes beautiful chests), plus the trim work for our new home, and the 4000 board feet of cedar we are going to panel parts of the interior with...all to be rough sawn. I was given 4 cottonwood trees, 4+ feet in diameter by 30+ foot long sawlogs, to go and get, and I have a lead on a bunch of walnut trees that I can't even get the time to go look at.....geez!

So, if you guys had the time, what would you be building?

Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma

www.sawmillandtimberforum.com/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-04-2007, 04:33 PM

View Daren's Photo Album My Photos
J, when I was a contractor myself I was in the same boat. The $ was good, but quality of life was not so hot. "I will be caught up tomorrow", but tomorrow never came. I got stressed out. I had the money to do whatever I wanted, but never the time....now I have all the time in the world, but you know how the 2 seem to be mutually exclusive . It's a hard thing to balance unless you are doing something you truly enjoy. Walking away from the rat race has been very therapeutic for me.
Is that circle mill just setting there rusting ? If you were closer I would come over and blow the cobs out of it for you. I could show those cottonwoods who's boss in a hurry .
post #3 of 10 Old 07-04-2007, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

I am using a new computer, and don't have the pictures to load, for those of you woodworkers wondering, what Daren is referring to is my '68 Meadows Circle mill, 54 inch blade, 125 hp Hercules engine.....and no Daren, it isn't rusting.....but If you were closer, you could have a great time with it...after all, we all know real saw mills have big blades!

After the new home is built, and we are debt free, then will come the slow down for me. I am 46, and feel 66.....some days I get home at 5pm, and my tail gets there an hour later.

Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 07-05-2007, 12:10 AM

View Nathan's Photo Album My Photos
Hopefully you read all the posts on all of those sites because you enjoy it and not because you feel you have to. I don't read all the posts on contractortalk.com and I dont' expect the moderators to either.

Nathan

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot
post #5 of 10 Old 07-05-2007, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

At least I don't miss anything!

Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma

post #6 of 10 Old 07-05-2007, 01:20 PM
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
. . . . and I dont' expect the moderators to either.
That's a good thing or else you would have had to fire me by now. But this way, I still get to find lost little treasures I didn't know existed. Like the thread about Burlkrafts Woodmizer lathe. I just stumbled across that last week!.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-05-2007, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTimbers View Post
That's a good thing or else you would have had to fire me by now.

He DID already, he posted it about a week ago...you must have missed it
post #8 of 10 Old 07-05-2007, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joasis View Post
what Daren is referring to is my '68 Meadows Circle mill, 54 inch blade, 125 hp Hercules engine..... real saw mills have big blades!

This is it isn't it ? And you are correct on the right logs I would have fun with it. An old feller 3 miles out of town has a circle mill I can use, he has made the offer more than once. He is retired and so is the mill...for now. I like my little bandmill for what I do with it, but for production I could make some bft with a circle mill. By comparison my mill has 13 h.p...and me .
Attached Images

post #9 of 10 Old 07-05-2007, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

yep, that is it.......

Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma

post #10 of 10 Old 07-05-2007, 09:24 PM

View formula462's Photo Album My Photos
[quote= !

So, if you guys had the time, what would you be building?[/quote]

A Stairway To.........

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode