Terrible Parent - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 7Likes
  • 3 Post By FrankC
  • 1 Post By Kerrys
  • 3 Post By _Ogre

post #1 of 12 Old 11-09-2019, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Terrible Parent

I have just realized that I was obviously a terrible parent, my kids at 19 years old had to take a bus to get to their part time jobs while attending university.

My wife called me from work today, the lady she works with arrived at work 15 minutes late because she had to drive her daughter to work, then had to leave half an hour later for 15 minutes to drive her son to work.

I am devastated, never once in my working career did I skip out to drive my poor kids to work, what kind of father was I?

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-10-2019, 12:15 AM

View mjadams61's Photo Album My Photos
As Yoda would probably say "The sarcasm is heavy in you" :)

Marlin
post #3 of 12 Old 11-10-2019, 07:10 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I suspect that you are the type of father that helped his kids find their way through life. Not one who drove them through life and did everything for them.

Good for you. You will have the better children for it.

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 11-10-2019, 12:50 PM

View Kerrys's Photo Album My Photos
When our kids were old enough to drive I helped them learn to drive and then purchased an older running car for them to drive themselves. One that served two of them was an early seventies Buick Apollo. Basically the same thing as a Chevy Nova. Had a 265 v8 in it. They were responsible for keeping the car in good running order. Oil changes, tuneups, etc. This served several purposes. I didnít have to be a taxi service, they got a little independence and also the responsibility of driving and maintaining a vehicle. There were some bumps in the road, so to speak. A couple breakdowns, a couple minor accidents, one or two traffic violations but all in all a good experience for them.
mjadams61 likes this.
post #5 of 12 Old 11-11-2019, 02:46 AM
Generic Weeb

View WeebyWoodWorker's Photo Album My Photos
Of my main group of friends I'm the only one with a car and a trade job. For years now I've constantly hounded them that they need to get good jobs and learn to drive so they can stop complaining about money problems and bus schedules. But I'm not a taxi or a bank. If were going to the same place then sure I'll give you a ride but I'm not driving anybody to work, that's not my responsibility. Finally got one of them to listen, just have to find a day to teach him how to drive.

-T

God I love Trigger. Inferno Cop is exactly the sort of idiocy they do, It's what makes them so cool. Met them all, great guys.
post #6 of 12 Old 11-11-2019, 07:47 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeebyWoodWorker View Post
Of my main group of friends I'm the only one with a car and a trade job. For years now I've constantly hounded them that they need to get good jobs and learn to drive so they can stop complaining about money problems and bus schedules. But I'm not a taxi or a bank. If were going to the same place then sure I'll give you a ride but I'm not driving anybody to work, that's not my responsibility. Finally got one of them to listen, just have to find a day to teach him how to drive.

-T

That is a horror story. What age people are you writing about?

George
post #7 of 12 Old 11-11-2019, 10:57 AM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
My 16 yo grandson got his driver's license about three weeks ago. Drives to high school which saves his mother time as she is working toward her nurse practitioner certification. He got a job and will start this afternoon or evening. This will help as he can pay his own way on a lot of things plus learn the value of a dollar.

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.
post #8 of 12 Old 11-11-2019, 11:59 AM

View _Ogre's Photo Album My Photos
sadly frank is the type of parent that taught his kids responsibility
shame on you frank
post #9 of 12 Old 11-12-2019, 12:45 AM
Generic Weeb

View WeebyWoodWorker's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
That is a horror story. What age people are you writing about?

George

Were all about twenty one or so. Best Friend and I actually share the same birthday. It's a problem to be sure, but unless any of them take my advice there isn't much I can do about it. To be fair however most of the people I know come from some pretty screwy backgrounds

God I love Trigger. Inferno Cop is exactly the sort of idiocy they do, It's what makes them so cool. Met them all, great guys.
post #10 of 12 Old 11-12-2019, 09:59 AM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
I find this more interesting as it goes along. I'm wondering how parents prepare kids for life. My maternal grandfather left home at age 15. He had the clothes on his back and, for some reason, a three pronged fork with wooden handle. My 16 yo grandson has the fork. I knew my grandfather worked as a brakeman for the Nickel Plate RR and was an ironworker until he retired. Not sure of any other jobs. Was he self-sufficient?

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.
post #11 of 12 Old 11-12-2019, 11:16 AM

View gj13us's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankC View Post

My wife called me from work today, the lady she works with arrived at work 15 minutes late because she had to drive her daughter to work, then had to leave half an hour later for 15 minutes to drive her son to work.

Oh man....I hate to do this....because I see your point....but I have to play devil's advocate.....

Is this a regular thing? Or maybe the kids' car is in the shop? Or maybe there's some other reason?
post #12 of 12 Old 11-12-2019, 04:17 PM

View phaelax's Photo Album My Photos
I had to buy my first car on my own. And when I got a newer one, I tried to sell it.... I say try cause my dad already sold it to a guy at work for half of what I was already offered for it. On top of that, he lost half the money at work. (I suspect "lost" at the bar is more like it) I think I saw less than $200 for my daytona.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode