Running underground cables can be dangerous - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 06-29-2012, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

View Sleeper's Photo Album My Photos
Running underground cables can be dangerous

I Came close to being bitten by a rattlesnake today while pulling underground cables.

Funny thing was that we were just disusing whether the squirrels would damage the cable before we could finish burying it on Monday and I mentioned catching some snakes to tie their tails to the cable as squirrel protection. Looks like that will not work because even with this guy on guard, there are hundreds of ground squirrels running around.

JohnnyB
Iím a die hard DIY guy. Donít tell me to hire someone for what I can do myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-29-2012, 10:05 PM
Senior Sawdust Sweeper

View Gary Beasley's Photo Album My Photos
Those squirrels know they can run faster than the snake and there's safety in numbers. And they can breed darn near faster than the snake can eat them.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-29-2012, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Beasley View Post
Those squirrels know they can run faster than the snake and there's safety in numbers. And they can breed darn near faster than the snake can eat them.
I guess your right about that. The squirrels are really causing a lot of damage not only by digging down and chewing on cables, but that are undermining the foundations of the buildings. I don’t kill snakes because we actually could use more to offset the rodents.

The good news is that I’ve seen a fox hanging around on the security cameras and two days ago I saw a young mountain running across the road early in the morning. I’m not sure if the lions eat squirrels because there is an abundance of deer for the mountain lions to eat. In the lower areas we have coyotes that keep the squirrels in check, but they don’t venture up the in the higher areas for some reason.

JohnnyB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 06-30-2012, 07:14 AM

View burkhome's Photo Album My Photos
Used to have a garter snake living in my flower beds...really kept the gopher population down. Gone now and the fight with gophers is on...kind of like Caddyshack. Gray squirrels are everywhere...Neighbor live traps them and paints tails orange and takes them accross city to golf course next to county park. One has come back in the last 10 years. Biggest problem is rabbits...They eat everything...Authorities frown on shotguns in town. We have hawks but they aren't doing their job.

Roger from the Great Horicon Swamp
post #5 of 11 Old 06-30-2012, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

We used to have a rattlesnake den at one of our remote sites. They had moved into a squirrel hole under the building. We put up a warning sign about the snakes and pretty much left them alone because we didnít want the squirrels back.

Then one year I decided to spruce the place up a little by bringing in a couple of truckloads of ĺĒ rock not even thinking about the snakes and that was the end of them. Soon afterward the squirrels came back and we ended up with a new problem, MICE. The mice got into the building and destroyed everything. We only go there once a month so they had plenty of time to make it their own. I now have poison and traps everywhere, but the stench from the dead mice is overwhelming not to mention the new Hantavirus threat.

It takes me an hour of cleanup each month with bleach and to air the place out before I can do my actual work.

JohnnyB
post #6 of 11 Old 06-30-2012, 08:37 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by burkhome View Post
Used to have a garter snake living in my flower beds...really kept the gopher population down. Gone now and the fight with gophers is on...kind of like Caddyshack. Gray squirrels are everywhere...Neighbor live traps them and paints tails orange and takes them accross city to golf course next to county park. One has come back in the last 10 years. Biggest problem is rabbits...They eat everything...Authorities frown on shotguns in town. We have hawks but they aren't doing their job.
There should be a master pecking order on what eats what. We have all the critters that a tropical climate would have...including alligators and iguanas.

post #7 of 11 Old 06-30-2012, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman View Post
There should be a master pecking order on what eats what. We have all the critters that a tropical climate would have...including alligators and iguanas.

I think itís called the food chain, but unfortunately when the chain breaks some of the least undesirables move to the top of their chain.

JohnnyB
post #8 of 11 Old 06-30-2012, 09:00 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
I think itís called the food chain, but unfortunately when the chain breaks some of the least undesirables move to the top of their chain.

If that's the case, maybe it would be safer for you to stay outta the yard.

post #9 of 11 Old 06-30-2012, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman View Post
If that's the case, maybe it would be safer for you to stay outta the yard.

That's pretty funny I'll have to remember that

JohnnyB
post #10 of 11 Old 06-30-2012, 09:53 AM
Hobbyist wood-butcher

View thegrgyle's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post

The good news is that Iíve seen a fox hanging around on the security cameras and two days ago I saw a young mountain running across the road early in the morning.
Now that is a funny typo.... How young of a mountain was it?

Don't mean to nit-pick... thought that was funny though.

Stay safe in whatever you are doing.

Fabian

I used to be fairly indecisive, but now....... I'm not so sure.
post #11 of 11 Old 06-30-2012, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrgyle View Post
Now that is a funny typo.... How young of a mountain was it? .
Don’t rightly know, but by the size of it I’d guess less than a year old. I’ve seen a few adults in the same area over the years and they’re a lot bigger and more careful about being seen. And not so clumsy.

JohnnyB

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode