Planning to build a wooden shed - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 05-25-2018, 06:35 AM Thread Starter

View Zartinez's Photo Album My Photos
Planning to build a wooden shed

I read an article about a lady who converted her shed into music class. I was wondering about that possibility. Is it possible to use a wooden shed as a music instrument practice room? If so, I need to have one. I have recently moved into a new house which has a pretty decent sized garden. I am planning to build a shed at the back of the my garden. The garden is around 25 meters long and 5 meters wide.
From my researche, I think the best is a concrete slab base. But I am confused with the type. I am a person who travels more. I don't have stability in my life. I can't predict the time that I will spend here in Brampton. But certainly I will be here for one year. So, I don't want to spend that much money for a shed. If possible, I need some ideas were I can carry the shed equipment where ever I go.
You might feel it as a funny question that to carry the shed with me where ever I go. But I am interested in knowing its possibilities. Along with the ideas, I would like to know which is the best material for an outdoor shed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-25-2018, 08:06 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
If you would make the shed with a wooden floor up off the ground on blocks it would be a lot easier to load up and move. Still it will be a daunting task for a DIY to move such a building without special equipment. You see storage buildings for sale all over which are all built with a floor they just deliver for you but they have the equipment to do it. If you move a lot you might consider purchasing a utility trailer and build the building on that. Then all you would have to do is hook up and go.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-25-2018, 09:13 AM

View hawkeye10's Photo Album My Photos
Here in my town, there is a company that moves small buildings like storage sheds. I had to hire them to move my shed to another place in the yard because of codes. They charged me $100 so that gives you some idea about cost. I thought it was reasonable.

Don in Murfreesboro, TN.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-25-2018, 09:33 AM

View Ron_J's Photo Album My Photos
I agree with Steve, if it was something I knew I was going to be moving, I buy one already assembled and have them deliver it. They are constructed to be able to handle the move. And then, pretty much anyone with a flat bed truck can move it for you.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-25-2018, 09:45 AM
johnep

View johnep's Photo Album My Photos
The chap opposite put in a shed for his son's drum kit. Drove us potty when he practised and we were in the garden.
johnep
post #6 of 8 Old 05-25-2018, 10:25 AM

View bargoon's Photo Album My Photos
If not too large you could also pre-fab the shed. Build the walls and roof in sections then bolt them together instead of nailing. If you move unbolt it, lay it flat and move it.

I pre-fabbed a small shed one winter in my shop and moved it into the yard in the spring - only had to make a base outside.

Cheers

THE GOOD NEWS: You create your own destiny...THE BAD NEWS: You create your own destiny
post #7 of 8 Old 05-25-2018, 11:28 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I would just purchase a small, used travel trailer and use that.

Of course be sure that the neighbors near where you park it like music.

George
post #8 of 8 Old 05-25-2018, 02:19 PM

View Brian T.'s Photo Album My Photos
Check you local building code. Back in the city, a concrete slab was "permanent" and the taxation structure went up.
Anything on blocks or skids was "temporary" like a dog house on steroids.

I really like George C's suggestion. Finished La-Dee-Dah inside, too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode