Our new deck - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 09-02-2010, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
SS user

View Gene Howe's Photo Album My Photos
Our new deck

We've been re constructing our decks. Made a very bad decision 12 years ago and built them all from untreated fir except for the piers, which are redwood. Then, my wife had an automatic watering system installed for her trees and plants around the house, including bordering the decks. The constant moisture exposure, even though EVERYTHING was painted with good primer and oil based paint, began to rot.
The main deck is 25X20, with two smaller decks of 10X12. All the rim joists (headers) and about half of the interior joists had to be replaced. These decks are all free standing and, in certain areas, as much as 5' off the ground. None of the deck areas were roofed.
So, while we were at it, we decided to roof the main deck. This required 14 new 4X4 redwood posts and numerous hand mixed wheelbarrow loads of cement. Not to mention a bunch of 2X8 rafters, hurricane ties, rafter hangers and tiedown straps for each rafter. I went wild with the Simpson catalog. We get wind gusts of 50+ MPH occasionally and 25-30+ regularly during our May and June windy season.
We researched a lot of composite decking and finally decided to go back with wood. We wanted to use Ipe, a very hard and rot resistant wood, but could not justify the cost plus shipping and saw blades. So, we opted for Redwood. It looks good and, with an application of a product called Cetol from Sikkens, should be maintenance free for at least 5 years. Especially with a roof to protect most of it from the sun.
3 days ago, Phyllis and I finished installing the rafters and yesterday, I finished all the steps/stairs (4 sets). Today I'll finish the hand rails. One of our sons and another fellow will install the plywood and metal roof. Wife and I did all the rest of the work, but at 62 and 70 years of age, neither of us feel too good about getting on that roof and manhandling those materials. The last roof we did was also 12 years ago, for our woodshop. We won't be doing any more roofs.
As soon as I finish the hand rails on the steps, we'll be heading for the cabin for 4 days of R&R. Then back at it, passing materials up to the roof.
Our other son and wife and two grandkids (2 and 4 y.o) will be coming for a visit from Okinawa on 10/1/10. So we've been pushing hard...shoulda started sooner, huh?

BTW, Pics to follow when we get back.

I can't wait to get back to the shop!

Last edited by Gene Howe; 09-02-2010 at 07:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-02-2010, 08:28 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
You have a real project going on there. I got tired just reading about it. You are right. Some things get more difficult to do when getting older. I keep telling my wife I ain't the same man I was yesterday.

Too bad we can't find materials that last forever. Maybe if all the parts were concrete...or Plexiglas.

post #3 of 4 Old 09-02-2010, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
SS user

View Gene Howe's Photo Album My Photos
So true, Cabinet man. I just want it to last longer than me. Probably not a problem now, at our ages.

When we first started considering this project, we thought we had the longevity thing licked with our first thought: composite materials. That was until we talked to a few friends and relatives who used Trex and others. Sagging (on 12" centers!!), chalking, mold, rot/crumbling, too hot to walk on with flip flops or bare feet. That idea was scrapped!

I think we'll be happy with redwood. Sure looks good. Friend of mine who builds wooden tour boats in Vancouver, uses the Cetol on the hulls. Says it stands up very well to salt water. Oughta be good enough for a deck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 09-04-2010, 01:13 AM

View cocobolo's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Howe View Post
So true, Cabinet man. I just want it to last longer than me. Probably not a problem now, at our ages.

When we first started considering this project, we thought we had the longevity thing licked with our first thought: composite materials. That was until we talked to a few friends and relatives who used Trex and others. Sagging (on 12" centers!!), chalking, mold, rot/crumbling, too hot to walk on with flip flops or bare feet. That idea was scrapped!

I think we'll be happy with redwood. Sure looks good. Friend of mine who builds wooden tour boats in Vancouver, uses the Cetol on the hulls. Says it stands up very well to salt water. Oughta be good enough for a deck.
Hi Gene:

Looks like our families are similar ages, (67 & 68 for us) so we hear you on that one.

The redwood you will love, no doubt about that.

I too, used to do wooden boats in Vancouver, and I'm not sure that your friend would use Cetol on a hull. It is for above water use largely where you may normally use varnish. You need to apply several coats initially, and then maintenance coats thereafter.

It is the sun which does the worst damage to wood surfaces, so where you are, I expect you get lots of that!

Shading the deck - as it sounds like you will be doing - goes a very long way to increasing the life of the deck coating. If you read the manufacturers recommendations and follow them, you'll be fine.

But I think I can all but guarantee you that you won't get 5 years life out of the cetol.

We did a deck for a friend of ours here, and the cetol needed to be re-coated in year two. His deck gets some morning sun, then dappled shade for the rest of the day. It really is best if you can give it one coat every year, just like varnish.

Looking forward to seeing the pics...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode