New project and not wood - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 18 Old 09-01-2009, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
(UPDATE) New project and not wood

My 16 year old daughter wanted to buy and work on this car. Here are a few pics and a link to another forum I joined because of this. Just in case you guys want to see our progress since I won't post everything on here. I will try and post some stuff but not as much as on the car forum.

http://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31528
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Car Day 1 Cleaning.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	10462  

Name:	car Day 1 front.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	10463  

Name:	Car Day 1 Side.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	10464  

Name:	Eng Day 1.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	10465  

Last edited by rrbrown; 04-02-2010 at 12:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 09-01-2009, 02:58 AM

View jeffreythree's Photo Album My Photos
Looks like a decent project there. Does your daughter usually work on classic cars? I can only dream that mine will want to one day. And because I am a guy who likes fast cars: wow, there is a lot of room under that hood beggin' for something to fill it up .

"Say hello to my little friend" Macie Clark, Christmas 2010

http://texaswoodlot.blogspot.com
post #3 of 18 Old 09-01-2009, 06:26 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreythree View Post
Looks like a decent project there. Does your daughter usually work on classic cars? I can only dream that mine will want to one day. And because I am a guy who likes fast cars: wow, there is a lot of room under that hood beggin' for something to fill it up .
If you want the best value with a classic then you do not want to put back anything that is not original.

There is a 1955 210 sitting on a car lot here that is completely basterdized. It has the wrong engine (V8 vs original 6) wrong color, wrong chrome (Bel Air chrome on an original 210), hurst shifter, etc.

Now if you are trying to make it a hot rod that is another story.

I really love that '55 but recently saw a 1957 red/white Bel Air convertible that was CHERRY. The salesman said it was the No. 2 car in the country, but I would have to see the win certificates to believe that. He thought it would go for $50k at action that weekend. Wish I had of had a spare $50K.

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 09-01-2009, 07:27 AM

View Just Bill's Photo Album My Photos
55 Bel Air, 4dr, 6cyl, stick shift. Unusual girl, they don't generally play with cars. Encourage her all you can.

Is it all there?? I have a friend that deals in tri-5 parts. He has everything she will need to restore it. [email protected] Used and repro parts, if he doesn't have or can't find it, you probably don't need it. He is in New Castle, DE, but will ship anywhere.

Hope this doesn't sound like a commercial. I have a 57, 210 2dr, 327 +.060, 4 spd, and of course-red. Am working on a 36 Plymouth woodie, which qualifies for the woodworking forum.

Last edited by Just Bill; 09-01-2009 at 07:30 AM.
post #5 of 18 Old 09-01-2009, 07:50 PM
Big Member

View Allthumbs27's Photo Album My Photos
Dont put her on restriction and take away her keys just because you want to cruise around in a nice car !!!

Every fight is a food fight when you are a cannibal.
post #6 of 18 Old 09-02-2009, 10:44 AM

View SawsAll's Photo Album My Photos
Thumbs up

Man what a great project for a father and daughter!!!

Tim
post #7 of 18 Old 09-02-2009, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
No Longer Here

We have a plan to start

Well Raechel is a busy girl between working, school, working as a volunteer at a vets office for her needed service hrs she can only work on the car Sunday and Monday this weekend. So Saturday my brother-in-law is going with me to find parts at a U Pull It salvage yard. (50% off sale) We decided on a 350 with the most up to date 700 transmission we can find.

We are looking for a 90-94 Chevy truck since it will have a throttle body. We are hoping to get

Engine (complete for parts but will rebuild)
Transmission (we will rebuild)
Computer and wiring Harness
Fuel lines, pump and a tank that will work

Any other suggestions on what to look for?

Since this is a U Pull it lot were bringing a trailer with Generator, compressor, saws all, air ratchets, extension cords electric impact Maybe a torch and a ton of other tools.

My brother in law is a ASE Master Technician. I didn't want to get him involved to much because he works an hour away and long hrs, has 2 young children and his wife so free time is far and between. That said he drug him self into this ( Couldn't help himself ).

Sunday and Monday the plan is to pull the front cap, engine and transmission, seats doors etc. so we can lift the cab off the frame. I hope this is not to ambitious but I would like to see what we are dealing with.

What should we do with the original Engine and transmission ? Save it just in case or sell it get money to help with this car and maybe help someone get a motor for a full restore ? Is there a value for it and how much ?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
post #8 of 18 Old 09-02-2009, 02:56 PM

View TS3660's Photo Album My Photos
If that is a clunker you could get $4500 for it (your tax dollars pay you) and then let the government destroy it. Isn't that a great idea? And such a wise use of your money. ?!#$%%

Bud

"Veggie burgers aren't bad if you put enough meat on them"
post #9 of 18 Old 09-02-2009, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
No Longer Here

Well Bud eventhough we only paid 3,000 for the car and could make an 1,500 profit I'll pass. That clunker program is whats really screwing me up. All those cars they got back and had to permanently lock up the engines so they are never used again. That kills people that can't afford a new car or the ones like us that are building a hot rod. Not to mention your talking about killing my daughters dream car.

Well after I put 10,000-12,000 in it, It will be worth 20,000 -30,000 if not more. It also will be allot of great father daughter time before she leaves for college and I 'm pretty sure you were joking.

Last edited by rrbrown; 09-02-2009 at 04:59 PM.
post #10 of 18 Old 09-02-2009, 05:58 PM

View jeffreythree's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrbrown View Post
What should we do with the original Engine and transmission ? Save it just in case or sell it get money to help with this car and maybe help someone get a motor for a full restore ? Is there a value for it and how much ?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I would save it until you have the 350 up and running in the car. Also, sometimes you can make a few extra piecing out the motor and selling on ebay. It is tough finding a local buyer or shipping a complete motor. It is easy to box up a carb here, a head there ...

"Say hello to my little friend" Macie Clark, Christmas 2010

http://texaswoodlot.blogspot.com
post #11 of 18 Old 09-05-2009, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
No Longer Here

Went parts hunting today.

I went with my Brother in Law to the Pull A Part junk yard today looking for parts to build Raechel's car. It was a half off sale. We found a 92 Chevy extended cab truck to use for a donor. We got Engine (305) complete minus Throttle body. The transmission (auto) with drive shaft and transmission lines, Computer with entire wiring harness, Fuel pump For housing and sending unit plus both fuel lines. I wanted and thought we had a 350 but because it was the only one I took it and we checked the Vin later, finding that we actually have the 305. Everything including tax was $360.00.
The block was needed for a core charge of $400 on a rebuilt engine with lifetime warranty for $1200 so basically I got everything for less then the core charge on rebuilt motor.
My brother in Law said the rebuild kit for the transmission is around $150 so we got a steal on that. He's a master technistion so it helps.
We are probably going to get a Holley throttle body kit, use the computer for core on new unit and get a new fuel pump for the housing and use the sending unit, then we have the yoke from driveshaft. The complete wiring harness will make things allot easier also.
post #12 of 18 Old 09-06-2009, 08:12 AM

I would avoid an engine/trans that needs a computer. There are tons of older 350's out there that work fine without one. A 200R4 is a non electronic overdrive, and probably also easily available. And I hesitate to do a fame off unless the floors are completely gone. It can be a real chore getting things back into alignment once the body is lifted.

As for the clunker bill, that car does not qualify, thank goodness, too old.
post #13 of 18 Old 09-18-2009, 07:16 AM

Keep us posted on the project
post #14 of 18 Old 03-31-2010, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
No Longer Here

Update

Well it's been rough with winter and rain but finally got back on my daughters car. I had to build a wood frame for hoist and a cart to put the body on. Next is making a rotisserie, scraping,sandblasting and painting the frame.

Damn I just noticed I need to work on the gardens, it never ends.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_car 3-20-10.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	14262  

Name:	IMG_lifting car.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	14264  

Name:	IMG_raechel lifting car.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	14265  

Name:	IMG_car and hoist.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	14266  

Attached Images

Last edited by rrbrown; 04-01-2010 at 09:39 AM.
post #15 of 18 Old 03-31-2010, 08:26 AM

View downrightart's Photo Album My Photos
First....let me thank you for your service to our country rrbrown.

Wow! I love this! What is better than working with dad on a classic! I'd give anything if I still had my father's 69 chevy p/u. We called it the 6 Banger.

This is really neat. Here is a pic of our jeep with a chevy 350 in it. Yeah that little THANG will run! We are trying to sell it but I tell the Boss, my husband, that I am not selling it to a teenager from our school!

Building happy memories....that's what it's all about!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Delegal_Jeep_04[1].jpg
Views:	111
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	14269  

Attached Images

post #16 of 18 Old 03-31-2010, 04:37 PM
Old Methane Gas Cloud

View rrich's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Well it's been rough with winter and rain but finally got back on my daughters car. I had to build a wood frame for hoist and a cart to put the body on. Next is making a rotisserie, scraping,sandblasting and painting the frame.

Damn I just noticed I need to work on the gardens, in never ends.
Richard,
Magic words! "Off Frame Restoration"

In six months of working the car, your daughter will acquire 10 years of automotive mechanical experience.

When I was 17 I did an overhaul of a '41 Chevy coupe. The education was priceless!

Even to this day, 50 years later, I still use the skills that I acquired working on that car.

Use the right tool for the job.

Rich (Tilting right)
Huntington Beach, California
Remember that when we have the "BIG ONE" everything east of the Rockies falls into the ocean.
post #17 of 18 Old 03-31-2010, 06:16 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:

Looks like the project is moving right along. Nice work on the wood frame and mobile cart. See how woodworking and car repair go hand in hand.

post #18 of 18 Old 04-01-2010, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
No Longer Here

Thanks Guys there were allot of people my daughter included that didn't think the cart and hoist would work because it was made of wood. Hey cabinetman this is woodworking and car manufacturing.

A wooden car
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode