Need to buy small refrigerator to store batteries. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By Echo415
  • 1 Post By Sleeper
  • 1 Post By johnedp34
  • 1 Post By shoot summ
  • 1 Post By Rick Christopherson
  • 1 Post By Rick Christopherson

post #1 of 16 Old 07-19-2020, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

View Sleeper's Photo Album My Photos
Need to buy small refrigerator to store batteries.

With AZ daily triple digit temperatures my Ni-Cad batteries are self-destructing with-in 6 months of purchase and its getting too costly to replace them. I even had to replace a Rigid Cordless Drill because I left it out in the sun for a few days and now the clutch is blown out. The motor turns but the chuck just makes noise. I just bought a new battery a few months ago and Iím just not sure if itís going to survive and will not know for sure until the new drill is here.

My shop is cooled with an evaporator cooler, but only if the humidity is less than 20-30% depending on the ambient temps. I also have a portable AC unit for when I actually have to work during the heat of the day, but I avoid it and usually get up at 4 AM to do any work. Now that Iím fully retired and living on a fixed income, I really donít want to run an AC 24/7 in the shop especially if Iím not using it.

Another option is building a cabinet inside my house which is fully Air conditioned for the cordless tool. Thatís going to be a hassle going into the house every time I need a tool plus my wife isnít too keen about it.

JohnnyB
Iím a die hard DIY guy. Donít tell me to hire someone for what I can do myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-19-2020, 08:06 PM

View Echo415's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
With AZ daily triple digit temperatures
That is nature's way of telling humans that they aren't ment to live there.
Sleeper likes this.
post #3 of 16 Old 07-19-2020, 09:42 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
consider a propane refrigerator .....

I first thought you could use a 12 volt frig, but then remembers RVs use propane ....
https://www.warehouseappliance.com/b...-refrigerator/

OR ...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086PLSBZ7/ref=dp_cerb_1

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 07-19-2020 at 09:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 07-19-2020, 10:47 PM

View _Ogre's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
With AZ daily triple digit temperatures ...<snip>... Now that Iím fully retired and living on a fixed income, I really donít want to run an AC 24/7 in the shop especially if Iím not using it.
i think triple digit temps is overruled by being comfortable in retirement
we're on the other end of the scale in sw michigan, i heat my shop all winter, winter can be 8 months long here
i installed a used 80k btu, high efficiency gas furnace in my shop almost 20 years ago
i've never regretted having a warm shop to go to when the sun rises at 7:30am and sets at 5:00pm
and the outside temps can drop many degrees below zero
post #5 of 16 Old 07-19-2020, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
WOW I'm no longer in CA, but I wonder why it says "Not Available For Sale Or Use in California".

CA has a lot of energy regulations and I don't want use anymore energy than I need to although it might be the type of refrigerant.

JohnnyB
post #6 of 16 Old 07-19-2020, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
i think triple digit temps is overruled by being comfortable in retirement
we're on the other end of the scale in sw michigan, i heat my shop all winter, winter can be 8 months long here
i installed a used 80k btu, high efficiency gas furnace in my shop almost 20 years ago
i've never regretted having a warm shop to go to when the sun rises at 7:30am and sets at 5:00pm
and the outside temps can drop many degrees below zero
Its a trade off. My family wanted me to retire in PA, but my joints shut down in cold and we have the greatest weather here in AZ during the winter. I'll probably have solar installed to take advantage of the full sun so I can run the AC without being burdened with the electric cost.

JohnnyB
post #7 of 16 Old 07-20-2020, 12:27 AM

View Echo415's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Its a trade off. My family wanted me to retire in PA, but my joints shut down in cold and we have the greatest weather here in AZ during the winter. I'll probably have solar installed to take advantage of the full sun so I can run the AC without being burdened with the electric cost.
My old neighbors moved down to AZ near phoenix a couple years ago and claim that it's an amazing place to live. I talked to them a couple weeks ago to see what they were up to and they told me that they have been staying indoors because it's too hot out to do anything. Sounds amazing indeed.
post #8 of 16 Old 07-20-2020, 01:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo415 View Post
My old neighbors moved down to AZ near phoenix a couple years ago and claim that it's an amazing place to live. I talked to them a couple weeks ago to see what they were up to and they told me that they have been staying indoors because it's too hot out to do anything. Sounds amazing indeed.
LOL Yes its hot, but I'm OK as long as the humidity is low. I usually wear one of those cooling cloths soaked in water around my neck. Most people are snow birds come down in the winter and head north in the summer. I may eventually do the same someday, but right now I'm enjoying not having leg and joint pain, I liked living in Southern CA, but the crime is just so bad now and the people there have all gone insane.

Plus I get to see this everyday,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Coolidge airport.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	392663  

shoot summ likes this.

JohnnyB

Last edited by Sleeper; 07-20-2020 at 01:37 AM.
post #9 of 16 Old 07-20-2020, 05:24 AM

View johnedp34's Photo Album My Photos
If you live in a sunshine state then solar is the way to go.
Here in UK, my son says he has cut power bills to the bone with solar cells and a Tesla battery. He is now talking about getting an electric car for his wife. With bright sun and wind the UK has hardly used any coal or oil fired power last couple of months.Some weekends my son is actually paid to take to take power because the wind turbines keep generating. He has a heat pump for his pool and uses this free power to heat the water.
When I worked in the West Indies, many homes had solar power hot water.
johnep
Sleeper likes this.
post #10 of 16 Old 07-20-2020, 09:19 AM

View DrRobert's Photo Album My Photos
Does the same apply to lithium batteries?

Robert
post #11 of 16 Old 07-20-2020, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRobert View Post
Does the same apply to lithium batteries?
I would imagine so although my RIDGID 18-Volt Lithium-Ion batteries are doing well. I like the weight and feel of my RIDGID Cordless Drill so I tend to use it the most, but I don't remember how often I charge them.

I usually have to charge my DEWALT 18-Volt XRP NiCd Batteries at least twice a day

JohnnyB

Last edited by Sleeper; 07-20-2020 at 09:34 AM.
post #12 of 16 Old 07-20-2020, 10:50 AM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
Even with just the 2 of us we have found an extra refrigerator in the garage is worth having. Full size units are not terribly expensive, small units, especially RV types can be really expensive for what you get.
Sleeper likes this.
post #13 of 16 Old 07-20-2020, 11:01 AM

View Rick Christopherson's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I would imagine so although my RIDGID 18-Volt Lithium-Ion batteries are doing well. I like the weight and feel of my RIDGID Cordless Drill so I tend to use it the most, but I don't remember how often I charge them.

I usually have to charge my DEWALT 18-Volt XRP NiCd Batteries at least twice a day
It's been a while since I've done any research on battery types, but I vaguely recall that higher temps were a problem for Li-Ion, and not so much for NiCd. On the other hand, high temps certainly don't make them better.

One thing with any battery, is to make sure you're not storing them on the charger. That's the quickest way to shorten any battery life, no matter how good the charger.

As for cooling, one thing you could look into is a small wine chiller. They'll keep you below ambient temp, without getting them too cold. I've been trying to find a cheap used one for preventing bread from going bad as fast in the summer months without putting it in the refrigerator to get hard/dry.
Sleeper likes this.
post #14 of 16 Old 07-20-2020, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Christopherson View Post
One thing with any battery, is to make sure you're not storing them on the charger. That's the quickest way to shorten any battery life, no matter how good the charger.
My DEWALT Charger says it has circuity to prevent over charging and that its better to store the batteries in it, but I don't because I worry about the heat possibly causing fire.

Quote:
As for cooling, one thing you could look into is a small wine chiller. They'll keep you below ambient temp, without getting them too cold. I've been trying to find a cheap used one for preventing bread from going bad as fast in the summer months without putting it in the refrigerator to get hard/dry.
A small wine chiller sounds like a good idea and probably not too expensive to run. Last night I stumbled upon a YouTube video while looking for some completely different of a guy that had a Solar Mini Split Air Conditioner for his camper trailer and I'm going to look into this. I'm always skeptical on these solar videos because I've tried some of these devices and they failed drastically. I don't want to waste my time or money, but it would be perfect if I can find one that works to cool my shop all day.

JohnnyB
post #15 of 16 Old 07-20-2020, 11:41 AM

View Rick Christopherson's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
My DEWALT Charger says it has circuity to prevent over charging and that its better to store the batteries in it,
It pisses me off hearing stories like this, especially the "better" part. Under what justification would it be "better"? Yeah, better, because the profit margin on replacement batteries is higher than the original sale.
Sleeper likes this.
post #16 of 16 Old 07-20-2020, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
It pisses me off hearing stories like this, especially the "better" part. Under what justification would it be "better"? Yeah, better, because the profit margin on replacement batteries is higher than the original sale.
I tend to agree with you. So much deception to get your money

JohnnyB

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode