My wife fell off a 6í ladder - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 08-17-2013, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

View Sleeper's Photo Album My Photos
My wife fell off a 6í ladder

We were cleaning the patio after a couple of weeks of me building a cabinet and she was up on the ladder trimming the Wisteria. Suddenly I heard a scream and saw her fall into the rock garden after bouncing off a 2í block wall. I thought OMG of all the ladder safety training Iíve been through at work lately maybe I should have been on the ladder.

When I went to her aid hoping she didnít have any broken bones, I discovered that she got stung by a wasp and never even got hurt falling of the ladder. I canít wait to tell the guys at work that falling off a 6í ladder isnít that bad. But they probably would milk it for workers comp for a couple of months.

JohnnyB
Iím a die hard DIY guy. Donít tell me to hire someone for what I can do myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-17-2013, 01:16 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
OK...time to talk about ladders. I've spent too much time on ladders, but never fell asleep on one. I was on my patio below a very large Mango tree (that I eventually cut down), trimming off a long branch that was near the house.

I calculated the wind, length of the branch, and laid out my cuts to get the branch to fall a certain way. Well, it all was going great, until I cut through, and the branch swung around and hit the ladder and knocked me to the pavement. I didn't have time to do a front flip with a half twist, which would have landed me on my feet.

I didn't break anything, but got a bit of road rash. I evaluated my actions to figure out where I went wrong. I forgot to calculate the weight of the Mangoes.

post #3 of 12 Old 08-17-2013, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Once I was wiring up a house for a contractor that did not have the stairs in yet. I donít know what the story was with that, but he set up an old wooden ladder to get to the second floor. I had a 40 to 50 lb tool belt and carrying a couple of rolls of wire with my Milwaukee Right angle drill.

I walked up the ladder like they were stairs and when I got to the top step the ladder rung broke. Well I just went down the ladder breaking one rung at a time until I got to the bottom just like in the cartoons. I was still standing at the bottom with everything I was carrying.

The contractor wanted to charge me for his ladder and I told him that he better be careful before I call OSHA.

JohnnyB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 08-17-2013, 04:50 PM
Chairman of the 'Board

View NetDoc's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to NetDoc
I've done my share of attic dancing, putting in premise cabling for networks. I've had a car blow through my cones and hit the ladder I was on. The roof of the car broke my 20 foot fall. Somehow they thought my insurance should cover the cost of that altercation. I've had the ground break way under a ladder putting me on a nice soft lawn just six feet below and broke a leg. I didn't fall often, but the only thing I learned is that you can never relax enough before you bounce. I think that's the biggest difference between getting injured or just having your pride bruised.

Solo otro dŪa en el paraŪso!
Pete 'NetDoc' Murray
www.ScubaBoard.com
The Following User Says Thank You to NetDoc For This Useful Post:
Sleeper (08-18-2013)
post #5 of 12 Old 08-17-2013, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

20 ft is a good fall! Lucky for you to land on the roof.

I used to take a lot of chances when I was young and it’s amazing that I’ve never been killed.

Once I was installing a new 480 volt electric service to a cedar mill and the service was coming from a hill behind the mill so I had a really tall pole installed to clear the road on top. I didn’t have my pole climbing gaffs with me and the mill was too far away to drive, so I put my 24ft extension ladder on a fork lift and had it extend as far as it could over the hill side from the road above and raised to the top. The fork lift had air filled tires for use in the dirt and every step was an experience all in its own. I was scared to death and when I made it back down still in one piece, I went home and drank a 6pk to calm down.

Actually I saw a YouTube video of someone doing the same thing.

JohnnyB

Last edited by Sleeper; 08-17-2013 at 05:49 PM.
post #6 of 12 Old 08-17-2013, 05:41 PM
Chairman of the 'Board

I was always careful on a ladder and still am. I test and retest footing and only use fiberglass ladders in great condition. I had two sets of cones set around me when the car hit. I was stringing fiber for a church in downtown Orlando and my ladder was actually on the sidewalk. My son was there most of the time waving people around the ladder rather then under. I was drilling when the power cut off and he went to find out where I had become unplugged. The driver swooped in the parking spot without looking and the cone he hit startled him so he ran up onto the sidewalk where he hit my ladder and knocked it clean out from under me. Popped out the front and rear windows and caved in his roof with my butt. I walked like the Hunchback from Notre Dame for a week and had to replace one cleat on my ladder. I did go back up and finished that stinking hole. It was the only aerial run for that job. All the others were in the sewers where we had to battle crazed Gators. Well, that's what we told guys who had to go down in that mess.

Edit: He was cited for negligence or something like that and he still tried to fight having his insurance pay for the damages. It's always best to be respectful to the people writing tickets. He wasn't and I was.

Pete 'NetDoc' Murray
www.ScubaBoard.com

Last edited by NetDoc; 08-17-2013 at 05:44 PM.
post #7 of 12 Old 08-17-2013, 07:04 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
The Following User Says Thank You to cabinetman For This Useful Post:
Sleeper (08-17-2013)
post #8 of 12 Old 08-17-2013, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Hey Cabinetman, that looks like me in the second photo.

JohnnyB
post #9 of 12 Old 08-17-2013, 07:16 PM
Chairman of the 'Board

At least in the last pic, the guy was pooling his resources.

Pete 'NetDoc' Murray
www.ScubaBoard.com
post #10 of 12 Old 08-17-2013, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Oh yes my cat could spend the whole day on the ladder, but then I'd never get anything done.

JohnnyB
post #11 of 12 Old 08-18-2013, 10:34 AM
Half a bubble off.. {ΘŅΘ}

View J Thomas's Photo Album My Photos
I was working on a carpentry crew in CT & we were remodeling an old farm into an alcohol & drug rehab center.
One of the guys was painting the siding in the peak of what used to be the barn. I'm guessing he was up 20+ ft..
Well in the peak there was a halogen light and a loudspeaker for the paging system..
So he's over reaching his limits with one foot on the ladder, The other foot on the light stand-off & hanging on with one hand to the speaker bracket.
Now the paging system was engaged by the telephones.. ya press a couple digits & it kicks on.
Well if ya held the second digit too long the tone would carry thru the PA.. such was the case.
The "BEEEP" scared the crap outa him being loud as heck & right beside his head..
Down he came.. Brush, bucket & all and landed in amongst a bunch of shrubs.. Some kind of fancy rose bush that's full of thorns.
Well he wasn't hurt bad other than a few bruises, lumps, cuts & scratches.. plus being plastered with white paint.
He was fortunate.. a couple feet from where he landed was a set of concrete steps..
We got him peeled outa the thorns & patched up on site but he decided he'd earned the rest of the day off..

Be careful out there..
..Jon..
The Following User Says Thank You to J Thomas For This Useful Post:
Sleeper (08-18-2013)
post #12 of 12 Old 08-18-2013, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Too many years ago when I was 18, I was working as an apprentice carpenter with my dad. We had just finished the roof sheathing and the roofers had already started when my dad realized that there was a small end piece missing from the fascia.

The roofers didn’t want anybody up there, but the brick layers had their scaffolding up and had not yet arrived, so my dad sent me up on the scaffold with a step ladder. My dad set the nails in the piece and theoretically all I had to do was position in place and slam in the nails. Well since the fascia piece was to be on the far corner of the overhang, I could not reach it or at least with two hands which I needed to hold and nail.

So I leaned the ladder up against the scaffold corner post and leaned way out to nail it. Once I finished and looked down, I nearly crapped my pants because it was 3 stories high counting two stories for the house and another for the garage under the house. I was shaking all the way down to the ground and my dad said he was also terrified and he would never let me do that again.

JohnnyB

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode