My wife and Chevrolet were very good to me on Fathers Day! - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 15Likes

post #1 of 113 Old 06-24-2016, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

View Marv's Photo Album My Photos
My wife and Chevrolet were very good to me on Fathers Day!

I had been planning to buy a used truck for a while now however my wife kept bugging me to just get a new one since she works at a friends Chevrolet dealership and we'd get a good deal (she just got a new Malibu). I was walking the dog down around the lot there last week but didn't see anything I liked so the sales lady showed me this one out back that had just come in. I said I really liked it (especially the color) but wasn't really serious about getting it so I didn't want to waste her time test driving. A couple of days later my wife calls and tells me to come pick up the fathers day gift she bought for me!

2016 Silverado Regular Cab 5.3 liter 355 hp 6 speed automatic with manual shift, Apple CarPlay Touchscreen Stereo, Sirius Radio, backup camera, power windows/locks, 110v outlet, trailer package, 40/20/40 seat with console etc etc in Deep Ocean Blue!

Post count on a forum does not denote level of knowledge, skill nor experience
The Following User Says Thank You to Marv For This Useful Post:
sbrader (06-24-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 113 Old 06-24-2016, 12:48 AM

View Jig_saw's Photo Album My Photos
Wow! Your wife bought a father's day gift for you? Good for you, man.

Keep thy axe sharp.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jig_saw For This Useful Post:
Marv (06-24-2016)
post #3 of 113 Old 06-24-2016, 06:55 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Awesome Marv!

A good man deserves a good truck! You already have a good wife.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
Marv (06-25-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 113 Old 06-24-2016, 07:15 AM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
That's a nice truck!!

I still think the single cabs are what a truck really should look like.

Are you going to do anything to it?

Must have been new truck week last week, I got one too... :)
The Following User Says Thank You to shoot summ For This Useful Post:
Marv (06-24-2016)
post #5 of 113 Old 06-24-2016, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot summ View Post
That's a nice truck!!

I still think the single cabs are what a truck really should look like.

Are you going to do anything to it?

Must have been new truck week last week, I got one too... :)
The sales lady tried to show me the 4 door trucks but I'm with you on the single cabs and I have been burning up google/YouTube looking for videos on what I plan to do! I'm going to lower the rear 2" with shackles to level it (if that's not enough I'll do a 2/4 lowering kit with drop spindles) and add a bedliner along with a bed cover of some sort. My hobby/side business is mobile audio so I'm definitely going to upgrade the audio system and the parts guys at my wife's work are already on the lookout for some 20" or 22" factory alloy takeoffs from a Silverado or Tahoe as I prefer the look of OEM wheels over aftermarket. I don't need any performance mods (I'm surprised at how powerful it already is!) however I may add a dual exhaust with some nice tips.

BTW, post pics of your new truck and let me know what upgrades you plan to do!

post #6 of 113 Old 06-24-2016, 01:17 PM
Smart and Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv View Post
Thanks guys!

The sales lady tried to show me the 4 door trucks but I'm with you on the single cabs and I have been burning up google/YouTube looking for videos on what I plan to do! I'm going to lower the rear 2" with shackles to level it (if that's not enough I'll do a 2/4 lowering kit with drop spindles) and add a bedliner along with a bed cover of some sort. My hobby/side business is mobile audio so I'm definitely going to upgrade the audio system and the parts guys at my wife's work are already on the lookout for some 20" or 22" factory alloy takeoffs from a Silverado or Tahoe as I prefer the look of OEM wheels over aftermarket. I don't need any performance mods (I'm surprised at how powerful it already is!) however I may add a dual exhaust with some nice tips.

BTW, post pics of your new truck and let me know what upgrades you plan to do!
I'm still in the 4 door truck mode for fam and grandkids. I've already lowered mine 1.5" in the back, usually use shackles, but this time did a little research and found a lot of guys are removing the spacer blocks between the axle and leaf springs so that's what I did. Actually like it better than the shackles I did on the last truck as it leaves a little rake, which is good when the boat is hooked up.

So far I've done Tinted front windows, Husky floor mats and fender liners, debadged it as much as I can, spray in bedliner, and added a shorty antenna. I have a bed cover showing up next week, and it's going in to get some clear protecting film on the front.

Anxious to see what you do to yours, keep pics coming! Check out the forums at GM-Trucks.com.

Day I got it:

After debadge, before drop:

After drop:

The Following User Says Thank You to shoot summ For This Useful Post:
Marv (06-24-2016)
post #7 of 113 Old 06-24-2016, 01:26 PM
Pain in the A$$

View Burb's Photo Album My Photos
That's a sharp looking truck. While I really love my 04 Avalanche, I'd really like to get a new long box 4x4. With it just being my wife & I 98% of the time, I really don't need the extra cab space. But I sure could use the bed space more...

Mark

Mark

"Measuring is the enemy of accuracy." Chris Schwartz
The Following User Says Thank You to Burb For This Useful Post:
Marv (06-24-2016)
post #8 of 113 Old 06-24-2016, 02:14 PM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
WOW!!! What a great gift! It has been said "behind every good guy is (usually) a fantastic woman". Enjoy many miles of smiles. Thanks for sharing, and be safe.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woodchux For This Useful Post:
Marv (06-24-2016), WesTex (06-25-2016)
post #9 of 113 Old 06-24-2016, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm still in the 4 door truck mode for fam and grandkids. I've already lowered mine 1.5" in the back, usually use shackles, but this time did a little research and found a lot of guys are removing the spacer blocks between the axle and leaf springs so that's what I did. Actually like it better than the shackles I did on the last truck as it leaves a little rake, which is good when the boat is hooked up.

So far I've done Tinted front windows, Husky floor mats and fender liners, debadged it as much as I can, spray in bedliner, and added a shorty antenna. I have a bed cover showing up next week, and it's going in to get some clear protecting film on the front.

Anxious to see what you do to yours, keep pics coming! Check out the forums at GM-Trucks.com.

Day I got it:

After debadge, before drop:

After drop:

Thanks for showing and that's nice! My buddy has an almost identical truck since he has grandkids as well however I'm not that fortunate just yet so this truck is basically for me to "play" with since 99% of the time it will be just me. I was able to find I have 1.27" spacers that some guys remove so I may give that a shot first as I like the subtle change it made with yours. I also like the decal removal you did and do plan to remove the big gold Bowtie on the tailgate as well as replace the grill one with the black version they have (I'll just paint the ones on the wheel emblems black once I find some).
It's not legal here to tint the side windows however I may do a little there anyway (the guy at the tint shop here says the local police won't bother you about it but the Highway Patrol sometimes will) and I'll update once I get started!

post #10 of 113 Old 06-24-2016, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchux View Post
WOW!!! What a great gift! It has been said "behind every good guy is (usually) a fantastic woman". Enjoy many miles of smiles. Thanks for sharing, and be safe.
I don't know if I am a good guy but she is certainly a fantastic woman! :smile3:

post #11 of 113 Old 06-24-2016, 02:37 PM
Smart and Cool

Quote:
Thanks for showing and that's nice! My buddy has an almost identical truck since he has grandkids as well however I'm not that fortunate just yet so this truck is basically for me to "play" with since 99% of the time it will be just me. I was able to find I have 1.27" spacers that some guys remove so I may give that a shot first as I like the subtle change it made with yours. I also like the decal removal you did and do plan to remove the big gold Bowtie on the tailgate as well as replace the grill one with the black version they have (I'll just paint the ones on the wheel emblems black once I find some).
It's not legal here to tint the side windows however I may do a little there anyway (the guy at the tint shop here says the local police won't bother you about it but the Highway Patrol sometimes will) and I'll update once I get started!
Removing the spacers was super easy, took me less than an hour, and I cut the U-Bolts so there wasn't an extra inch hanging down. A 4/2 drop on yours would be really cool.

I like the idea of some stock GM 20"-22" rims, I bet it gets up and goes, lots of motor in a smaller/lighter truck.

I had a 2003 Silverado SS, 6.0, AWD, the power that you can get from a little PCM programming is incredible, that 6000lb brick surprised a lot of people. I realized that I shouldn't be surprised when I got in a lot of trouble, so I got rid of it... :)
post #12 of 113 Old 06-24-2016, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Removing the spacers was super easy, took me less than an hour, and I cut the U-Bolts so there wasn't an extra inch hanging down. A 4/2 drop on yours would be really cool.

I like the idea of some stock GM 20"-22" rims, I bet it gets up and goes, lots of motor in a smaller/lighter truck.

I had a 2003 Silverado SS, 6.0, AWD, the power that you can get from a little PCM programming is incredible, that 6000lb brick surprised a lot of people. I realized that I shouldn't be surprised when I got in a lot of trouble, so I got rid of it... :)
The more I look around the more I think I may just go directly to the 4/2 drop preferably with the 20's as I see the 22's only came in a "not so truckish looking" design on the Tahoe that I'm not sure will look as good and this thing does get up and go quicker than I expected (left a little rubber on the ground by accident the other day! ).

Almost forgot, I have not heard of the fender liners you referred to earlier. Are they something that fit inside the wheel well to cover up that not so attractive area?!

BTW, what made you decide to go Ford this time?

post #13 of 113 Old 06-24-2016, 05:26 PM
Smart and Cool

Quote:
The more I look around the more I think I may just go directly to the 4/2 drop preferably with the 20's as I see the 22's only came in a "not so truckish looking" design on the Tahoe that I'm not sure will look as good and this thing does get up and go quicker than I expected (left a little rubber on the ground by accident the other day! ).

Almost forgot, I have not heard of the fender liners you referred to earlier. Are they something that fit inside the wheel well to cover up that not so attractive area?!

BTW, what made you decide to go Ford this time?
I think the 4/2 on a single cab would look outstanding, especially with some 20's, although you might need a little more width than the stock wheels.

The liners are for the rear wheel wells, and do just as you say:

https://www.huskyliners.com/Wheel-We...silverado-1500

I ran from GM in 2010 after being a loyal Customer for over 20 years. Started with vehicles that were rock solid, put over 300K miles on a '94 K1500, then I started having too many issues with the last few vehicles so I gave Ford a try, been happy ever since. Not sure if you've been in a late model supercrew, they are HUGE inside. Guys over 6'3" sit in the back seat and can't believe how much room there is. It's at the expense of the bed size though, that 5.5' bed is almost too small at times.
post #14 of 113 Old 06-24-2016, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

That's an understandable reason to switch for sure! My buddies truck is more plush and rides better but I haven't ever sat in the back seat (it does look pretty roomy back there). Those wheel well liners look like just the ticket so thanks for pointing me to them and I'm going to order a set tonight. I'm going to think about the wheels a bit more as I keep seeing all kinds of stuff I like!

Last edited by Marv; 06-24-2016 at 06:19 PM.
post #15 of 113 Old 06-24-2016, 11:32 PM
Smart and Cool

Quote:
That's an understandable reason to switch for sure! My buddies truck is more plush and rides better but I haven't ever sat in the back seat (it does look pretty roomy back there). Those wheel well liners look like just the ticket so thanks for pointing me to them and I'm going to order a set tonight. I'm going to think about the wheels a bit more as I keep seeing all kinds of stuff I like!
Check around on pricing, eBay might be a good source. Husky had a fathers day sale last week when I bought mine.
post #16 of 113 Old 06-25-2016, 12:37 AM Thread Starter

I found what looks like the same thing from a company called Rough Country for about 80 bucks shipped. Are you familiar with them?
post #17 of 113 Old 06-25-2016, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

BTW, my daughter likes riding high and isn't too keen on me lowering the truck!
post #18 of 113 Old 06-25-2016, 07:41 AM
Smart and Cool

Quote:
I found what looks like the same thing from a company called Rough Country for about 80 bucks shipped. Are you familiar with them?
I'm not, you might check on GM-trucks.com and see what the opinion is. All of the Ford guys liked Husky better than the OEM liners as they have better coverage. I bought the floor liners as well, already like them much better than WeatherTechs.
post #19 of 113 Old 06-25-2016, 08:54 AM
Smart and Cool

Some good looking dropped SC's in this thread, just a few examples below...

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topi...ifted-lowered/
Attached Images

post #20 of 113 Old 06-25-2016, 09:22 AM

View 406Rich's Photo Album My Photos
Marv your wife`s a keeper...nice truck..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode