My New Mower Arrived - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 04-19-2013, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
My New Mower Arrived

Yesterday, I heard a faint knock on the door (the bell wasn't rung). When I looked out front, a UPS guy was unloading a big box. I asked him if he needed help, and he said no. He also said that if nobody came to the door, he was just going to leave the box there. CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT!!!

Anyway I got the box opened and put all the parts together, and found out that there was two broken pieces. One was the rubber lever cover for raising a rear wheel. The other was part of the idle/engage bail cable that holds it tight to the handle. The rubber restraint that fixes the cable placement was just hanging, and the bail was loose (not spring loaded).

My dilemma is that I had to order the mower from Home Depot online, as the stores don't carry that model. I called one of the stores and they said bring it in and you can get a refund. So, if I want that same mower, I have to order it online AGAIN, and wait another week. By that time I won't be able to find my dogs when I let them out.

So, I called Toro corporate, and they offered to mail me replacement parts. The last thing I want to do is spend $400 on a mower and then start fixing it before I can even use it. They also suggested one of their dealers may just swap for another mower if it's in stock. I have this gut feeling that they will say "Sure if we sold it to you".

Today, I'm calling a few of them to see what if anything they will do. I don't want to wait another week. I found another self propelled electric start at Lowes. I may just head over and get one if it's in stock.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-19-2013, 10:26 AM

View burkhome's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman View Post
yesterday, i heard a faint knock on the door (the bell wasn't rung). When i looked out front, a ups guy was unloading a big box. I asked him if he needed help, and he said no. He also said that if nobody came to the door, he was just going to leave the box there. Can you believe that!!!

Anyway i got the box opened and put all the parts together, and found out that there was two broken pieces. One was the rubber lever cover for raising a rear wheel. The other was part of the idle/engage bail cable that holds it tight to the handle. The rubber restraint that fixes the cable placement was just hanging, and the bail was loose (not spring loaded).

My dilemma is that i had to order the mower from home depot online, as the stores don't carry that model. I called one of the stores and they said bring it in and you can get a refund. So, if i want that same mower, i have to order it online again, and wait another week. By that time i won't be able to find my dogs when i let them out.

So, i called toro corporate, and they offered to mail me replacement parts. The last thing i want to do is spend $400 on a mower and then start fixing it before i can even use it. They also suggested one of their dealers may just swap for another mower if it's in stock. I have this gut feeling that they will say "sure if we sold it to you".

Today, i'm calling a few of them to see what if anything they will do. I don't want to wait another week. I found another self propelled electric start at lowes. I may just head over and get one if it's in stock.

precisely why i don't deal with box stores any more than necessary.

Roger from the Great Horicon Swamp
post #3 of 5 Old 04-21-2013, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
I took it to a local Toro dealer. Got it back from the warranty work, and charged it up overnight. Starts like a dream...no more cord pulling. I'm glad I got rear wheel drive, as it's supposed to make turns easier. All shiny and charged up.
Name:  toro1.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  58.4 KB

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 04-21-2013, 05:48 PM

View sandy paper's Photo Album My Photos
I love the personal pace option on it. Only goes when you do. Very nice :)
post #5 of 5 Old 04-21-2013, 07:04 PM

View TomC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman
I took it to a local Toro dealer. Got it back from the warranty work, and charged it up overnight. Starts like a dream...no more cord pulling. I'm glad I got rear wheel drive, as it's supposed to make turns easier. All shiny and charged up.

I'm sure you will enjoy the electric start. I still remember the days when you had to wrap the cord around ever time you tried to start one. Then I thought recoil starting is great but you can't beat electric. Uh, unless you got a dead battery.
To

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode