My experience with Menards Ultradeck Reversible composite decking - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 23 Old 06-25-2013, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Hobbyist wood-butcher

View thegrgyle's Photo Album My Photos
My experience with Menards Ultradeck Reversible composite decking

This is a project that I have been working on since May 4th with a coworker/friend of mine. He just bought a house during the winter time, and told me that he was going to need some help resurfacing the deck. I’m guessing the deck was built around 20-30 years ago, and was made with cedar decking and hand rails. The structure was still fine, so I told him that it should be a relatively easy “resurface” job. We measured up the deck, and I came up with a materials list, and we headed on our way to menards to order the material. Here are a few before pics:

Name:  DSC07017 - Copy.jpg
Views: 26614
Size:  100.6 KB

My experience with Menards Ultradeck Reversible composite decking-dsc07018-copy.jpg

Name:  DSC07020 - Copy.jpg
Views: 26099
Size:  100.8 KB

My experience with Menards Ultradeck Reversible composite decking-dsc07021-copy.jpg

My experience with Menards Ultradeck Reversible composite decking-dsc07022-copy.jpg

Fabian

I used to be fairly indecisive, but now....... I'm not so sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 06-25-2013, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Hobbyist wood-butcher

My experience with Menards Ultradeck Reversible composite decking-dsc07024-copy.jpg

If you look at the last pic, you will see the existing deck had outlets on both sides (attached to the side of the post), and we wanted to still have that feature on the redone deck.

We then went to menards, and got a few estimates on the different options. The materials for green treated were going to cost him around $850, Cedar was around $1600, and the Menards Ultradeck Reversible was around $3000. He decided to go with the Ultradeck (with a little persuasion from me), mostly because it is supposed to be relatively maintenance free. I have never worked with the stuff, so I really was looking forward to seeing how it all worked out. My co-worker also opted for the “hidden fastener” system (Deckmount). I was really excited, because of how this should turn out. The order was placed, and we scheduled a delivery.

When the material was delivered, we were very disappointed in the quality of the material we received. First of all, there were 3 different “shades” of the this material. I’m sure they were either from different lots, or maybe some of it had already been exposed to UV to dull the color. Next, I would say that about 1/3 of the material had major scratches/gouges on the exposed surfaces. We then picked thru/sorted the whole pile, and went back to the store to exchange the damaged versions. So much for paying for delivery.

Well, we stripped off all the decking and rails, and then proceeded to mount most of the posts, so that we could start the decking process. To install the decking, you first have to fasten the “Deckmount” to the all the joists. This is screwed in to the side, but sitting on top, and flush with the top surface. Then we proceeded to mount the decking. This required someone to be up top, to put downward pressure, while someone was underneath, attaching the decking with screws. I suppose a clamp could have been used, but it was nice to have someone on top to make sure the board didn’t shift, or the spacing wasn’t altered. The directions also mandated that a minimum spacing of 3/16” of an inch was to be used. I started off by using (2) 3/16” drill bits, but that got old real quick, when the bits would dig into my hand when trying to pull them out. I then made up some spacers, using 3/16” steel rod…. They worked much better.

My experience with Menards Ultradeck Reversible composite decking-dsc07246.jpg

Well, here a few pics of most of the decking installed. It tooks us a few days to do this. I’m sorry that I don’t have progress pics, because I kept forgetting my camera at home.

My experience with Menards Ultradeck Reversible composite decking-dsc07136.jpg
My experience with Menards Ultradeck Reversible composite decking-dsc07138.jpg
Name:  DSC07139.jpg
Views: 26071
Size:  77.1 KB

Fabian

post #3 of 23 Old 06-25-2013, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Hobbyist wood-butcher

Here is a pic of what the “deckmount” system looks like when installed….. (picture taken from underneath the decking)

My experience with Menards Ultradeck Reversible composite decking-dsc07247.jpg

Next, we had to take out the existing stairs, and rebuild them. You can see them in the last pic on my sawhorses. The existing ones only had 2 stringers, with 2x material for the actual treads (steps). The instructions for the decking mandated that we had a minimum of 12” spacing of the stair stringers for the Ultradeck, so we just traced the existing ones, cut and fastened them all together. With the help of a Pipe jack, we then mounted the stair framing back into its correct location.

Name:  DSC07140.jpg
Views: 26092
Size:  100.7 KB

Name:  DSC07142.jpg
Views: 25998
Size:  102.3 KB

Name:  DSC07143.jpg
Views: 26097
Size:  92.6 KB

My experience with Menards Ultradeck Reversible composite decking-dsc07144.jpg

As you can see in the pics, we also then mounted the stair posts, and started on the facia boards. This is where I had my first major problem with the “Ultradeck system.” The matching facia boards for this system ONLY come in a 4” width. His joists were 2 x 10’s, so that left us with a dilemma….. Do we run them on edge, and have a small strip somewhere? I thought that would look like manure, so I came up with running them diagonally. It was A LOT more work, but I think the end result was going to be nice, and the homeowner agreed, though he wasn’t too sure what I was talking about….. You can see where we started the facia above, by the steps. We needed to do this, so that we could install the treads (steps), and have a way to get up on the deck again (instead of a rickety ladder). Also, there was no way to avoid fasteners, and some trim screws were provided. I gave the homeowner the option of using an 18 gauge trim nailer, but he had a justified concern about them possibly rusting. The nails would have been cleaner/smaller, but we erred on the side of caution and went with the trim screws.

Well, that is it for now…. This project seems to be taking us forever…. We seem to average being able to work on it only one day a weekend, because of holidays, or previous engagements. We will be finishing it up this weekend, but I have more progress pics I will post soon.

Fabian

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 06-29-2013, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Hobbyist wood-butcher

Well, we continued on with the cladding to hide the old joists…. This was a lot of fun, and time consuming. I ended up bringing my benchtop bandsaw out to the job, to make the notching around the posts a little quicker.

Name:  DSC07157.jpg
Views: 26075
Size:  88.4 KB

Name:  DSC07158.jpg
Views: 25772
Size:  102.1 KB

My experience with Menards Ultradeck Reversible composite decking-dsc07159.jpg

My experience with Menards Ultradeck Reversible composite decking-dsc07160.jpg

Fabian

post #5 of 23 Old 06-29-2013, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Hobbyist wood-butcher

After all the cladding is done, now we need install the post sleeves. On top of the post sleeves, is a cap that just fits right on. The ones that they sent, looked very cheap, and very plastic (a great deal more than the rest of the deck). Below is a pic of that cap.

My experience with Menards Ultradeck Reversible composite decking-dsc07255.jpg

The homeowner didn’t like this, so I told him to find one that he liked. He did, but of course it didn’t fit. The cap he picked out was for a different type of decking system. After examining the reason as to why it didn’t fit, I came up with a solution, and that was to cut a rabbet all the way around the post, so that the cap could slip on.
My experience with Menards Ultradeck Reversible composite decking-dsc07149.jpg

My experience with Menards Ultradeck Reversible composite decking-dsc07153.jpg

My experience with Menards Ultradeck Reversible composite decking-dsc07156.jpg

My experience with Menards Ultradeck Reversible composite decking-dsc07155.jpg

I think he chose wisely with the post caps, and even though it was a lot more work, It will be totally worth it.

Fabian

post #6 of 23 Old 06-30-2013, 07:53 PM
Making sawdust in MS

View rayking49's Photo Album My Photos
That looks really good. It's amazing what we go through to overcome stuff, huh? Great job man.
The Following User Says Thank You to rayking49 For This Useful Post:
thegrgyle (07-02-2013)
post #7 of 23 Old 07-16-2013, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Hobbyist wood-butcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayking49 View Post
That looks really good. It's amazing what we go through to overcome stuff, huh? Great job man.
Ray, you are about to see more of the stuff that we had to over come........

Now we start getting most of the posts installed, and then the real “fun” began…..
We finished the day trying to get one railing in place, to see how that whole process is supposed to come together. We learned quite a few things about their “system,” and what was wrong with it. First, let me show you a pic of all the 32” spindles that were delivered….

My experience with Menards Ultradeck Reversible composite decking-dsc07162.jpg

Gotta love the precision there…. I ended up cutting every one to the exact same length. On some, I only took off a sliver, and on others, I took off up to ¼”. This is what I expected them to look like when I originally stacked them together.

My experience with Menards Ultradeck Reversible composite decking-dsc07166.jpg

Now, onto the actual railing system. Below is a pic of how the top of the railing is supposed to come together…..

My experience with Menards Ultradeck Reversible composite decking-dsc07174.jpg

I don’t know if you can tell, but there are two problems here… One that is very obvious, and the other not so much. First of all, the metal channel was smaller than the spindle, so getting the spindle into the channel and to get it to seat squarely was a REAL pain. The second is that the handrail is supposed to SLIDE ON…. That certainly wasn’t happening. Now to fix those 2 problems….

The first step is to attach the metal channel to every spindle in the rail section. In the pic below, look at the closest spindles towards you (top row, first 5)….

My experience with Menards Ultradeck Reversible composite decking-dsc07161.jpg

Fabian

post #8 of 23 Old 07-16-2013, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Hobbyist wood-butcher

It turns out that the spindles are wider than the channel, and that is what happens when you try to attach them like they say. I then took calipers to them to see what was going on…..

My experience with Menards Ultradeck Reversible composite decking-dsc07167.jpg

My experience with Menards Ultradeck Reversible composite decking-dsc07168.jpg

That 65/1000ths of an inch was enough to make our lives miserable trying to attach them accurately. We ended up sanding every one of the spindles on the end with my little HF 1” belt sander to bevel the end, and remove that excess.

My experience with Menards Ultradeck Reversible composite decking-dsc07175.jpg

Then I made up a jig to help hold the spindles evenly spaced, and a separate one for the stair rails as well.

My experience with Menards Ultradeck Reversible composite decking-dsc07256.jpg

My experience with Menards Ultradeck Reversible composite decking-dsc07258.jpg

Fabian

post #9 of 23 Old 07-16-2013, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Hobbyist wood-butcher

The second problem that I had to solve was the fact that the top rail didn’t slide over the metal channel when the spindles were attached to it. As I posted earlier, the spindle measured 1.25”. The opening at the bottom of the handrail measured 1.1395”…

My experience with Menards Ultradeck Reversible composite decking-dsc07169.jpg

My experience with Menards Ultradeck Reversible composite decking-dsc07172.jpg

Here is a closeup pic of how the spindle and handrail DON’T fit together…..

My experience with Menards Ultradeck Reversible composite decking-dsc07173.jpg

My solution was to rip the bottom of the handrail with a tablesaw to widen that gap.

My experience with Menards Ultradeck Reversible composite decking-dsc07177.jpg

After all those problems were figured out, we then had a very efficient way to manufacture the railing sections, and managed to get a few installed.

My experience with Menards Ultradeck Reversible composite decking-dsc07178.jpg

Well, that is it for now…. I will post more pics soon, when I get a chance. THOSE RAILINGS WERE A PAIN IN THE TO FIGURE OUT. I am seriously thinking of contacting the manufacturer and sending them a link to this “review” to enlighten them about how their system is flawed……

EDIT: 1/9/14 I have contacted the manufacturer and provided a link to this thread to inform them of the problems I have incurred. We will see what comes of it.

Fabian

Last edited by thegrgyle; 01-09-2014 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Forgot the solution for the second problem with the handrail design... 2nd edit that I informed the manufacturer
post #10 of 23 Old 07-16-2013, 07:41 PM

View Nate1778's Photo Album My Photos
Man, I thought about using that on our deck, after this I am kinda glad we went with a traditional build. Not near as perfect looking as that but after a couple of beers it looks great.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nate1778 For This Useful Post:
thegrgyle (07-17-2013)
post #11 of 23 Old 01-06-2014, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Hobbyist wood-butcher

Hey guys, I know it has been a LONG time since I posted on here. I am actually recovering from surgery that fixed an umbilical hernia, and thought I would try to catch up on some old threads, since I have a few weeks of down time. This was done back in June/July…… It is only now that I have had any type of free time to catch up.

The next step for the deck was to finish the railings, but in order to do so, we needed to figure out the electrical part of it. My buddy wanted some lighting that would light the deck, but not be overpowering. After a trip to Menards, he found some landscape lighting that he thought would be perfect. We then had to figure out how to get the electric to the lighting. He didn’t want to run conduit on the outside (like it had previously been done). I then told him we could run the electric inside the fake post and hide all of the wires… He LOVED that suggestion. I then routed out a channel in the post to run the wiring, drilled a hole thru the deck board, and then ran the appropriate wiring. He also wanted to be able to switch off each light separately, and also have a couple 120V oulets (like it was previously).

Name:  DSC07213.jpg
Views: 24517
Size:  92.9 KB

Name:  DSC07214.jpg
Views: 24514
Size:  82.6 KB

My experience with Menards Ultradeck Reversible composite decking-dsc07215.jpg

Name:  DSC07216.jpg
Views: 24476
Size:  78.9 KB

My experience with Menards Ultradeck Reversible composite decking-dsc07217.jpg

The lights he picked out were low voltage (12V DC), and were meant to be landscape lights. They had a thin square metal tube that was originally meant to be stuck in the ground. I didn’t know how to anchor this tube, and have it be strong enough. Then it dawned on me to maybe slip it over something else that I could mount more solidly…. That is when I came up with the idea of drilling a 7/8” hole in the center of the post, approximately 6” deep. I then used Eurathane glue to glue a ½” RIGID conduit in place, trying my best to plumb it with shims. I then notched the top of the post (to provide some space for the electrical connections), and chiseled away the wood so I could drill a hole in the RIGID conduit, so that I could run my wiring up thru it to the light fixture.

Fabian

post #12 of 23 Old 01-06-2014, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Hobbyist wood-butcher

After we did all this, we were able to continue on with the railings. Once they were installed on the posts that had the electrical run in them, I was able to try to drill a hole in the post cap. The pic below was my first try…. The pipe was NOT centered on the cap, but only a trained eye would notice. The homeowner couldn’t tell till I pointed it out to him.

My experience with Menards Ultradeck Reversible composite decking-dsc07227.jpg

We then wired up the light fixture, and installed it, gobbing on silicone caulk on the rigid conduit, and sliding the fixture down on top of it. We then let the silicone dry, and cut it away with a razor knife.

My experience with Menards Ultradeck Reversible composite decking-dsc07226.jpg

Name:  DSC07304.jpg
Views: 24698
Size:  91.5 KB

As you can see too, we trimmed out the outlet and switch. That is the finished product.

That is it for today…. Gotta go take some pain killers…. And lay back a bit. Hope you like it so far.

Fabian

post #13 of 23 Old 01-06-2014, 05:36 PM
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
It doesn't surprise me... I've been retrimming my house for the past two years....each room as I get everything else done there....and the trim has gotten so bad it took me visiting 3 menards to get enough that would pass my minimum standards to finish one room. And even at that I'm having to putty and sand every piece before paint. Now if I was buying the cheap base trim that would be one thing.....but I'm buying 3.25 inch casing and 4.25 inch base that's over a buck a foot....for paint grade poplar or pine. It ought to be ready to paint.

Menards seems to be getting cheaper by the year.

The tools don't make the craftsman....
post #14 of 23 Old 01-07-2014, 11:27 AM
Tool Fanactic

View WarnerConstInc.'s Photo Album My Photos
Stop buying building supplies at box stores. You might think you are getting a deal, but it never works out that way.

3 1/4 wide anything from my mill shop is .89 ft. 4 1/4 is just over a buck.

Last edited by WarnerConstInc.; 01-07-2014 at 11:31 AM.
post #15 of 23 Old 01-07-2014, 12:07 PM
Sawdust Creator

My issue is they were pretty decent to start....but now I'm a bit locked in to keep the profile matched...

post #16 of 23 Old 01-07-2014, 12:12 PM
Tool Fanactic

View WarnerConstInc.'s Photo Album My Photos
Is it something special? Odds are it can be found elsewhere.
post #17 of 23 Old 01-07-2014, 12:16 PM
Sawdust Creator

Nothing particularly special. But when I've taken a scrap with me the other places are just a bit off. I suspect it's another example of menards cheapening it up...

post #18 of 23 Old 01-09-2014, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Hobbyist wood-butcher

Well, now for some of the tedious details that were involved… I didn’t like the way the cladding was showing bare edges on the 45 degree corners, and I didn’t want to take the time to miter all those joints… the cladding already took too long. This is what I am talking about (below)

Name:  DSC07278.jpg
Views: 24496
Size:  68.3 KB

So I decided to rip a piece of cladding at 22.5 degrees a preset dimension from the factory edge. Then glue them together with titebond 3.

My experience with Menards Ultradeck Reversible composite decking-dsc07150.jpg

My experience with Menards Ultradeck Reversible composite decking-dsc07152.jpg

As I “trimmed out” the deck,” I installed them, and I think they really made it look better. The homeowner loved it.

Name:  DSC07284.jpg
Views: 24414
Size:  75.6 KB

My experience with Menards Ultradeck Reversible composite decking-dsc07309.jpg

Fabian

post #19 of 23 Old 01-09-2014, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Hobbyist wood-butcher

The next thing that we needed to address was the open ends of the decking. You could buy these cheesy plastic endcaps that just snap into the ends… The homeowner thought they looked cheap and really didn’t like them. I then suggested that I just rip the factory edge off of deck board, cut them down to the width of the deckboard, and then glue them in place (with titebond 3). We tried out a few, and he really like the idea. So here is a pic of those “endcaps” installed….

My experience with Menards Ultradeck Reversible composite decking-dsc07316.jpg

The rest are pics of the final finished deck. I hope you like them. The homeowner is so glad he spent the money, and that I went above and beyond to really go the extra mile.

Name:  DSC07286.jpg
Views: 24485
Size:  101.0 KB

Name:  DSC07287.jpg
Views: 24398
Size:  101.5 KB

Name:  DSC07288.jpg
Views: 24421
Size:  100.8 KB

My experience with Menards Ultradeck Reversible composite decking-dsc07289.jpg

Fabian

post #20 of 23 Old 01-09-2014, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Hobbyist wood-butcher

Name:  DSC07290.jpg
Views: 24380
Size:  101.2 KB

Name:  DSC07291.jpg
Views: 24679
Size:  81.1 KB

My experience with Menards Ultradeck Reversible composite decking-dsc07292.jpg

My experience with Menards Ultradeck Reversible composite decking-dsc07293.jpg

In the pictures above and below, you can see that the deckboards are not all the same "shade." The homeowner noticed this after we installed them, and we tried to see if there was a lot #, or something to could help us determine how to get the right color...... Nothing like that. All the long boards were sent at the same time from Menards, so they should have been from the same lot.... The homeowner is hoping that the boards will fade to an even color after time. Since he is a coworker/friend, I will be checking it out in the spring to see how they have faded, and update you all.

My experience with Menards Ultradeck Reversible composite decking-dsc07294.jpg

Fabian

Last edited by thegrgyle; 01-09-2014 at 11:42 AM. Reason: added comment about boards not being same "shade"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode