A loooooooooooooog time ago.... - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 16 Old 09-04-2007, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

View Corndog's Photo Album My Photos
A loooooooooooooog time ago....

...when I got a job at a music store the guy that trained me said "Hey kid, just 'cause it says "Fender" doesn't mean it's any good."He was correct.

This is the reason for this thread....brand loyalty. I know some guys that think Craftsman [or Delta or DeWalt] is "top of the line"'cause "dad" owned it.

....discuss.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-04-2007, 07:23 PM

View jpw23's Photo Album My Photos
I've been a fender guy, a gibson guy, and everything in between......right now, I'm an Ibanez guy....I have a 1999 Talman that I would never part with

Save a tree...eat a beaver!
post #3 of 16 Old 09-04-2007, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

I like the Talmans.....but I ment tool brands. Sorry fer the confusion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 09-04-2007, 08:12 PM

View Daren's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndog View Post
I know some guys that think Craftsman [or Delta or DeWalt] is "top of the line"'cause "dad" owned it.

....discuss.
That is the problem, the name can be stamped on in any 3rd world factory with little/no quality control. I have Craftsman (for example) tools my Grampa owned and they are still solid, I would have to look hard at other brands to replace it. Outsourcing, vendors, materials of construction have changed over the years. "top of the line" often changes with the bottom line for a company, they have to sell to the masses. There are still good tools to be had, just gotta look for them. I am glad to see the tool review section at this forum growing, even though I spoofed it early on as a way to bring more attention to it (and be a smart Alec) Tools are a big investment, we don't want to make the same mistake someone else did if we can help it.
post #5 of 16 Old 09-04-2007, 09:12 PM

View jpw23's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I like the Talmans.....but I ment tool brands. Sorry fer the confusion.
I know what you were getting at......I also use blackhawk and armstrong for mechanic tools, miller for welding, craftsman for woodworking because I can't find any better and don't know the trade well enough to make better decisions

Save a tree...eat a beaver!
post #6 of 16 Old 09-05-2007, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

I've actually seen colour co-ordinated shops....
post #7 of 16 Old 09-07-2007, 03:03 PM
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
Corndog,

Before you joined our little gig here my signature used to say "Buy the tool not the wrapper. Superior performance and features will deliver quality and quantity over brand loyalty everytime." Something like that anyhow.

But no matter how you cut the cake, some guys are going to buy a tol because it says ACME TOOL or whatever their flavor. You can show them exactly how and why one tool is superior to another and they are going to say something like "Yeah well I just always buy Blubber Brand. They always work the best for me."

And you know what? They are right. As long as they are happy that's all that matters.

One brand of toothpaste is as good as another right? Well, unless it's that stuff from Chiner being recalled with the arsenic or rat poison in it.
post #8 of 16 Old 09-07-2007, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

My shop looks like a "Pride Parade" flag....blue, yellow,green....
post #9 of 16 Old 09-07-2007, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

I prolly should have mentioned that I used to work at a pawn shop. Any good deal on a tool and I'd scoop it up!!! Traded a POS Craftsman router for a Bosch 1613 EVS...To my boss who wanted gold and Rolex's not tools mind you.
post #10 of 16 Old 09-07-2007, 04:52 PM

View BULLHART's Photo Album My Photos
I buy by the tool, not the wrapper. However, I can't completely leave out past experience. I've had good luck with the blue tools, so I tend to give them a good look first. I'm not one of those guys who only buys one brand, but I do have a lot of Bosch and milwaukee tools that I am very happy with. Again, past experience leads to the negative as well. After chunking a bunch of dewalts in the trash bin, I tend to look at them last. Nothing is ruled out...But "brand experience" in inevitably somewhat of a factor.
post #11 of 16 Old 09-07-2007, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

How 'bout tool reviews in the "big" magazines??? Should we trust them to tell us which tool is best for us???
post #12 of 16 Old 09-07-2007, 06:53 PM

View Daren's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
How 'bout tool reviews in the "big" magazines??? Should we trust them to tell us which tool is best for us???
Magazines and newspapers are a HUGE $ losing venture without advertisement, I don't even buy many magazines (especially hobby related ones, fishing/woodworking...people spend $ on their hobbies, and the advertisers know it) just because they are 40% content and 60% ads. Guess what my answer is to your question? If I ran a magazine I sure would not trash a tool company that kept the lights on and the presses running, I might even give them a good review to keep a customer. The readers of those mags are less than 1/2 the "customers", they exist to make money selling ad space, period.
post #13 of 16 Old 09-07-2007, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

I totally agree with you....I STILL buy the mags though!!!
post #14 of 16 Old 09-08-2007, 07:35 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Here's my .02 cents. I'm not brand loyal but quality loyal. I need tools to earn my living. I learn what to look for in the tool I'm buying, not the brand. For example, knowing what you will be doing with the specific tool, looking for case quality, type of motor, bearings, power, versatility, limits and limitations, ease of use, speeds, warranty, company backup, type and design of the trigger or switch, but not the color. I think I'd rule out pink in any brand. Having experience with a certain tool will also give you some input to what to look for. IOW, even within certain brands, there may be tools that I would rule out for another brand, just because of some detail or quality issue. I may buy Bosch this, or Makita that.
post #15 of 16 Old 09-08-2007, 08:15 AM
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Corndog, you bring up the exact reason I always stress "user reviews". One of the best place to get them is on amazon.com even if you aren't going to buy the tool there.

We might be inclined to think that the user reviews are not as reliable because alot of weekend warriors write the reviews and that is true. But they still usually have at least some merit and the good thing is you can tell a review that is written by a pro and one written by a homeowner. Often, the reviewer will even state out front stuff like "I only do woodworking on occasion, but this cordless drill has a built in DVD and a ray gun and it even sings the national anthem . . " etc. Or the guy will say "I make my beans using chop saws and this is the best/worst/middle-of-the-road dadada . . ." and many if not most reviewers will give alot of detail on features and performance. That is what you want to know about!

I tend to agree with Daren that editors for the most part sacrafice their unbiased opinions at the altar of the almighty advertising buck. I do take the Fine Woodworking annual tool review rag. And the only reason I do is because they include not only Editor's Choice but because every tool also has a User Rating. The User Rating is nearly always different than the Editor's Choice. Go figure.

Last edited by TexasTimbers; 09-08-2007 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Left out a thought.
post #16 of 16 Old 09-09-2007, 10:35 AM

View Kirk Allen's Photo Album My Photos
One of the things that amazes me on tool brands people have is the reaction others have about them.

A person can post about how they like their tool for what ever reason then the self proclaimed experts dive in to tell them why they are wrong.

I would relate it to the Saw Mill side of things. Most any sawmill I have ever worked on or with will cut good lumber if set up properly but there are still folks who will bash the heck out of one brand or another because its not the brand they have. They miss the boat! They either cut lumber or they dont!

Good tool reviews are well worth it as long as those very reviews are not suppressed from fear of losing sponsors or advertisers, which Daren clearly points out.

The Google Adds seem to be the perfect fit for this type of forum since they dont give a rats backside who is talking negative about a certain tool. They just pop up based on words identified in the search in hopes of generating business. It clearly keeps the emotion out of things, which tends to be the biggest hinderance to finding facts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode