leaking basement wall... - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 05-05-2011, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
No Longer Here

View frankp's Photo Album My Photos
leaking basement wall...

So I started my basement finishing and of course as soon as I put down sill plates one of my walls starts leaking. Not a drop of water in 4 years and now I have a puddle right under my sill plates. So obviously I have to fix the leak, which is luckily quite obvious. I know there is some sort of epoxy pros use for "injecting" into the holes in poured foundation walls but I have no idea what it is. Any of you fine folks know what I should ask for when I head to the big box store tomorrow?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-05-2011, 10:52 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I donno about epoxy

I have used Hydraulic Cement. http://www.quikrete.com/ProductLines...pCementPro.asp
I think it's pretty much straight Portland cement, but I'm not real sure. The other approach I used to seal a block wall was to make a slurry of Portland cement and fine sand, mixed with a drywall mixer and poured into the block cavities by opening a hole about 18" above the floor and letting the slurry run down into the cavities.
An approach I have seen but not actually used involves a screw in plug with a zerk fitting which then you use a grease gun with a two part foam and pressure fill the hole. Possibly just the spray seal foam with the plastic nozzle will plug up the hole. Cheap at about $8.00 or so a can and then use the rest for sealing other cracks and openings around your doors and windows. bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #3 of 7 Old 05-06-2011, 10:27 AM

View klr650's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankp View Post
So I started my basement finishing and of course as soon as I put down sill plates one of my walls starts leaking. Not a drop of water in 4 years and now I have a puddle right under my sill plates. So obviously I have to fix the leak, which is luckily quite obvious. I know there is some sort of epoxy pros use for "injecting" into the holes in poured foundation walls but I have no idea what it is. Any of you fine folks know what I should ask for when I head to the big box store tomorrow?
The epoxy isn't going to work if there's water coming through the gap - you'll have to wait until it dries up.

You might consider fixing it properly and use actual concrete - I have a similar leak in an exterior stairwell, any hydraulic pressure and the seal pops out or water forces itself around the plug, etc.. I'm resigned to paying a small fortune and fixing it the proper way

It will be much more work to fix the problem if you finish your finishing work only to have the patch you installed in the crack fail down the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 05-06-2011, 02:50 PM
Senior Sawdust Sweeper

View Gary Beasley's Photo Album My Photos
If thats coming from the outside you need to get rid of the source of water before you can consider it fixed. Check and be sure the ground is contoured away from your wall outside so water will run away from it when raining. If theres nothing obvious it may be going in elswhere and puddling underground outside the wall. A last resort may be having the wall exposed and the surface sealed, though I think there should be options to inject sealant without digging.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-06-2011, 07:09 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Drainage

Of course the obvious, make certain the downspouts exit as far away from the building as possible. I put 10 ft removable extensions on the downspouts on a house that "leaked" for the ex-girlfriend. Another solution is to dig down a foot or so and put a vinyl liner on the sloped earth to drain the water away from the building. The "ex" had 3 huge maple trees 12 ft from the house whose roots had invaded the weep tiles and that was the real problem. I spent a whole summer mixing thin crete and drilling holes. Never did solve the problem, plugged weep tiles. I didn't want to excavate the whole West side and dig through the tree roots and kill the trees. Tree roots go where the water is unfortunately.
We thought of digging a 3 ft hole down just to see where the water table was.... that didn't happen. We broke up, and the house went "foreclosure up" soon after.
There is no easy answer.
Some folks saw a trench inside let the water run in the trench and to a sump then pump it out. There are companies that will pump the thin crete under pressure...$$$$ Best of Luck, bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 05-06-2011 at 11:10 PM.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-07-2011, 10:46 PM

View davelindgren's Photo Album My Photos
First off, if you havent had a problem in 4 years you have obviously developed a new one. Check for obvious problems. Downspouts, leaky waterlines-does it happen to be anywhere near where your water service enters the basement? If so you probably sprung a leak. Have your neighbors recently done any grading of their lots or a new home been built?That can change how runoff flows in your neighborhood.If you have clay soil, was it dry the last few years and it started to rain this year? The clay will shrink away from the foundation providing the perfect channel for water to get next to the walls.Definetly explore the easy fixes before spending a bunch of money on fixes that might not truly be needed.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-08-2011, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
No Longer Here

View frankp's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for the suggestions, folks. I went to the local big box and grabbed some sort of caulk-like cement repair/sealant. It looks like the culprit is the back patio, which is going to be removed. Lot's of erosion under it that was hidden and clearly sloped toward the basement wall. I've tarped it off for now and sealed things on the inside. Sometime this week or next weekend we will dig out around the worst areas and back fill appropriately, perhaps after doing another seal treatment on the external wall in that area.

The good news is I made more progress on the basement frame up and on my kayak... hopefully I'll have some pics up soon on those projects.

Thanks again for the help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode