Lawn weapons...what do you use? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 40 Old 04-30-2011, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

View Brink's Photo Album My Photos
Lawn weapons...what do you use?

Ok, time to mow the lawn. Here's my mower.

1940 Ford 9N. It's all high tech. 3 speeds, electric spark ignition, hand crank to start, rubber tires, armstrong power steering. Behind it is a Ford finish cut mower. Lots of fun :) all my neighbors work in, and are from NYC. The looks on their faces when they see me mowing with this is priceless.

"that nut job in the bright yellow house is driving his farm tractor again!" " yea, but at least he's not running that jointer thing in the driveway"

What do you use? Reel mowers, mowing service, goat, dunno-wife does that?
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 04-30-2011, 09:46 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
That sure beats walking. I got my John Deere mower 11 years ago. It was 10 years old when I got it...free. My friend decided he didn't want to spend the money on a new transmission. So, I removed the transmission and made a pusher out of it.

post #3 of 40 Old 04-30-2011, 09:56 PM
Scotty D

View mdntrdr's Photo Album My Photos
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Recliner ride 008.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	24047  

Scott
OH, wait a minute ............Yep!.............That's what he said!

"Like" us on facebook
www.ScottyDsWoodworks.com
Watch Our YouTube Video
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mdntrdr For This Useful Post:
BWSmith (05-02-2011), woodnthings (04-30-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 Old 04-30-2011, 10:17 PM

View mike1950's Photo Album My Photos
Couple year old cub-cadet. They laugh everytime we bring it in to be serviced because there is a 3" block of wood tape to the pedal because with the seat all the ways forward the safety switch in seat shuts motor off when wife drives it. I guess they don't make them for 5 footers.
post #5 of 40 Old 04-30-2011, 10:21 PM

View jaxonquad's Photo Album My Photos
Im pushin a craftsman 6.75 hp for the yard (about 3/4 acre) the rest is knocked down with a 40b massey ferguson pulling a 60" bushhog.

Im soooo tired of pushing but everytime I start thinking of making that investment somthing breaks! This year ...blown head gasket!
post #6 of 40 Old 04-30-2011, 10:55 PM

View doug1980's Photo Album My Photos
I have a Toro 48" lawn tractor back home along with a nice Honda Commercial Grade push mower. Since my yard up here is literally nothing I have a Toro push mower and a nice assortment of Stihl blowers and trimmers. Some day I'll have my John Deere along with my 20 acres.

Former A.F Staff Sergeant
From Alaska to Florida who knows for how long.
post #7 of 40 Old 05-01-2011, 12:05 AM

View MidGAOutdoor's Photo Album My Photos
50inch Wizzard mower with 20hp kohler. yard machine 42inch with 12hp b/s engine. husqvarna ush mower with bagger. blower, cub cadet weed wacker, Swisher trim and mow walk behind weedeater on steroids. 1957 Allis Chalmers D17 and WOODS M5 bush hog.

PS i do lawn care work too!

any questions?
post #8 of 40 Old 05-01-2011, 07:56 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Craftsman self propelled, wald behind mower for the edges and a Craftsman riding mower for the bulk of the yard. At least that is what I had been using for the past many years. Just decided to let my neighbors grandson take care of the front yard.

George
post #9 of 40 Old 05-01-2011, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidGAOutdoor
50inch Wizzard mower with 20hp kohler. yard machine 42inch with 12hp b/s engine. husqvarna ush mower with bagger. blower, cub cadet weed wacker, Swisher trim and mow walk behind weedeater on steroids. 1957 Allis Chalmers D17 and WOODS M5 bush hog.

PS i do lawn care work too!

any questions?
1 question, how does the D17 do with the M5? Those mowers are HEAVY! They make a heck of a sound when dropped off a forklift onto a concrete floor.
post #10 of 40 Old 05-01-2011, 10:47 AM

View slicksqueegie's Photo Album My Photos
Here is mine
It has a broken hood from a 500 mile move!
The headlights still work though

Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsmen can hide his mistakes!

Last edited by slicksqueegie; 05-01-2011 at 10:48 AM. Reason: added photo!
post #11 of 40 Old 05-01-2011, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

The story behind mine...a close friend has an orchard nearby. This tractor sat in front of his stand for at least 15, maybe 20 years. It was rusted from one end to the other. 3 wheels needed to be replaced, 2 tires, and the hood and fenders were rusted through. I traded a clutch job on another tractor for this one.

With little work, I got the engine running. Did all the metal work, etc. I drove it around the neighborhood for years until a customer traded in the mower for a bush hog. A little work and the mower was good to go. Total invested about $1500 + 2 cases of beer + a 60" Howard Price commercial mower. Satisfaction on the job- none, it's just a continuation of the work day.

I do have a Case garden tractor w/ bad engine. I plan on converting it to battery power when the funds allow.
post #12 of 40 Old 05-01-2011, 02:11 PM
OLD DUDE AT WORK

View H. A. S.'s Photo Album My Photos
I use this guy for mowing, pulling up stumps, the grader for the driveway, pulling wagons, etc.:

http://www.drpower.com/Z-Mower_features.aspx

Harrison, at your service!
post #13 of 40 Old 05-01-2011, 05:42 PM

View klr650's Photo Album My Photos
Little Craftsman push mower, got it from the real estate agent as a housewarming gift. Runs and runs and runs, never clean the filter, check the oil, feed it the gas that I drain from motorcycle tanks I service. you should see the modified "fuel filter" - a Mr. Coffee filter that catches the rust, metal fragments, and oil by-products that show up in old rusted out motorcycles.

Starts on the first pull every single time (well except for one time when I neglected to filter the fuel first).
post #14 of 40 Old 05-01-2011, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by klr650
Little Craftsman push mower, got it from the real estate agent as a housewarming gift. Runs and runs and runs, never clean the filter, check the oil, feed it the gas that I drain from motorcycle tanks I service. you should see the modified "fuel filter" - a Mr. Coffee filter that catches the rust, metal fragments, and oil by-products that show up in old rusted out motorcycles.

Starts on the first pull every single time (well except for one time when I neglected to filter the fuel first).
The best mower made...the one you don't have to work on. 70 year old tractors need to be "caressed" (so do 46 year old mechanics)

Coffee filters. Never thought of that. I always grabbed a co-workers sock to strain the chunks out of diesel fuel. White cotton gym socks work the best. Guess we're one step closer to a "kinder gentler" work environment. They will look funny putting on coffee filters at the end of the day :)
post #15 of 40 Old 05-01-2011, 07:33 PM

View klr650's Photo Album My Photos
The coffee filter does a pretty good job too - I even use it on an old Honda CB550K that is partly responsible for my back problems (the gas tank and I had a serious disagreement about how much I could lift while still sore from a previous back injury). The gas tank on a few bikes I've seen were utterly polluted with rust - coffee filter did an excellent job catching the rust particles. I've had to change filters more than once on a few jobs.

Have to be careful though, because I think it also filters out the MBTE - which might explain why that CB550 has such a terrible valve problem...
post #16 of 40 Old 05-01-2011, 07:42 PM

View Nate1778's Photo Album My Photos
I don't know why but this thread reminds me of this vid

I roll a Husqvarna with the 46" cut.
post #17 of 40 Old 05-01-2011, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by klr650
The coffee filter does a pretty good job too - I even use it on an old Honda CB550K that is partly responsible for my back problems (the gas tank and I had a serious disagreement about how much I could lift while still sore from a previous back injury). The gas tank on a few bikes I've seen were utterly polluted with rust - coffee filter did an excellent job catching the rust particles. I've had to change filters more than once on a few jobs.

Have to be careful though, because I think it also filters out the MBTE - which might explain why that CB550 has such a terrible valve problem...
550K. Had one, loved it. Single cam, kick start, Velocity stacks, Kerker 4-1 w/open megaphone. Twistomatic frame and double wobble suspension. Changed the advance springs to go full advance at 7500, used clutch springs from a 750. Powershifting into 3rd would lift the front wheel.

I don't believe a coffee filter could hurt the valves, aluminum heads almost always have hardened seats.
post #18 of 40 Old 05-01-2011, 09:50 PM

View Corbin3388's Photo Album My Photos
Use me a fellow named Leo
post #19 of 40 Old 05-01-2011, 09:59 PM
SS user

View Gene Howe's Photo Album My Photos
With 30 acres to mow, this is the smallest I can get by with. I pull it behind a Polaris Ranger. It's a DR brush mower.
Name:  DR.jpg
Views: 7268
Size:  16.6 KB
post #20 of 40 Old 05-01-2011, 10:14 PM
glh17

View glh17's Photo Album My Photos
John Deere 13 hp 28" cut rear engine riding mower, Cub Cadet 21" walk behind mower, Black and Decker 18v battery grass trimmer, Echo blower, and assortment of hand tools.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode