Joining a club - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 7Likes
  • 3 Post By difalkner
  • 4 Post By Tool Agnostic

post #1 of 9 Old 01-22-2020, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

View kklowell's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via MSN to kklowell
Joining a club

I went to a meeting of the Maine Woodworker's Guild last night and I think I'll be joining up. I learned quite a bit about sharpening planes and chisels last night; that learning thing being one of the reasons I've wondered about joining such a club, I feel that it'll be a good move. How many of you have joined a ww club?

My wife says I never finish anyth

Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-22-2020, 08:03 AM

View AwesomeOpossum74's Photo Album My Photos
Unfortunately, there's not a lot of opportunity in my area, other than a turning club. The few times I've attended a turning meeting (I don't even own a lathe), I found it fun and informative. While I'm not a turner, there's a lot of knowledge that can be crossed over to other forms of woodworking.

Geoff
post #3 of 9 Old 01-22-2020, 08:15 AM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
We have both in our area. I'm mostly in wood turning and joined a local club. Worth the $$$ and the 35 minute trip.

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 01-22-2020, 08:21 AM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
About 5 of us got together in Nov 2018 and started a club. Here we are a little over a year later and we now have about 70 on roll. We meet at different shops the second Tuesday of each month. There's usually a demo and it's anything from turning to sharpening to carving to cutting box joints to pouring resin, etc.

One of our members owns a sawmill, the one where I buy my Walnut, and we've met out there. In February we're heading down to Natchitoches, about 75 miles south of us, and visit the shop of a new member. They have all old iron and build furniture out of Cypress.

I manage the meeting notes, roster, notices, etc. and usually set up the demos or help in some fashion. Our normal attendance is 15-20 each meeting. Most of the shops have trouble handling more than 7 or 8 so we're glad not everybody can make the meetings! LOL!

It's been fun meeting other woodworkers from the area and getting to share ideas. Many are brand new to the craft and are soaking up the collective knowledge and experience of seeing fully set up wood shops. So I am glad we decided to do it - it's been fun.

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel and Instagram
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #5 of 9 Old 01-22-2020, 09:43 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
There is a longstanding, active woodworking club here. It is actually two clubs in one - a woodworking club and a woodturning club. They have separate meetings once a month, but if you look at the attendees, you might say, "Wait a minute, these are the same people!" and for the most part, you would be right. The meetings are well-organized, fun, and always informative.

They have very active charities: toy making for children and pen making for active military and veterans.

They have a mentor program for people who want assistance with a woodworking skill or tool. They have a library of DVDs and other learning aids that you can check out. You request titles online, and they are ready for you at the meeting.

They have all-day demonstrations from leading experts a few times a year. They have had tours of lumber yards, a cabinet making factory, and even the Fender guitar factory.

They are a great place for buying and selling used tools. They are a great place for sharing wood. Heck, they are a great resource and a great bunch of people.

My spouse belongs to a Scroll Saw club. They have a similar toy program and are also a great bunch of people.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-24-2020, 10:23 AM

View Onefreetexan's Photo Album My Photos
Tool Agnostic,, where are you located? Almost sounds like Kalamazoo, MI
post #7 of 9 Old 01-24-2020, 11:44 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onefreetexan View Post
Tool Agnostic,, where are you located? Almost sounds like Kalamazoo, MI
Southern California
post #8 of 9 Old 01-27-2020, 08:36 AM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
I have belonged to clubs in the past. They were all well worth the time in fun, education and camaraderie.
We had a wood turning club that met in my shop when I lived in Little Rock, Ar.

BTW, you joined this club - we just dont see each other live and in person.

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx

Last edited by Tony B; 01-27-2020 at 08:39 AM.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-27-2020, 08:53 AM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
The problems, at least as I see it, are that clubs grow too big.
The meeting places get larger, like in Lowes. Lowes in Pasadena, Tx. allowed our monthly meetings. I quit going after about the 4th meeting. The benefit I got by going the first few times was I made personal friends there.

When we had a woodturning club meeting in my shop and we never discouraged anyone from joining. We just never made much mention of it. Our unofficial membership was around 12 members and around 9 -10 showed up for every meeting. We also joked that no one ever quit our club, they just died off.

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode