Infinity tools -- problem - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By TomCT2
  • 1 Post By hawkeye10

post #1 of 11 Old 10-17-2020, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

View Carl Worden's Photo Album My Photos
Infinity tools -- problem

Hi Gang: Has anyone else had problems with Infinity Tools customer service?

I paid about $1,000.00 for a router table system. I recently discovered that the coping rail embedded in the table was not flush, and it has resulted in marring (gouging) lines in my door panels. I notified Infinity and they asked for photos of the defect, which I submitted, Since then, no response at all! It's been at least ten days, and I've sent two more inquiries with no response. Now it looks like I need to file a Small Claims Court action. Infinity has a very short period to report defects, but this defect didn't reveal itself immediately until I produced panels for staining and only now discovered the gouging lines when I applied Benite. I'll include a side photo of the table so you can clearly see the rail is jutting above the table surface. Carl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0789.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	261.1 KB
ID:	397035  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-17-2020, 11:30 AM
Ole Woodworker

View BigJim's Photo Album My Photos
I have never heard of them or used them. It looks like the rail has popped up and needs to be glued back down. I don't have a clue how hard it would be to remove and reglue it. The point is after paying that much for a router table I would for sure hound them until they fixed it, or paid me to fix it. Most of us make our own but I can understand buying one ready made also.

Sorry I am of no help.

http://www.diychatroom.com/

BigJim

Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.
post #3 of 11 Old 10-17-2020, 11:48 AM

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
I agree, for that much money, they should be more responsive than that.
I have a few Infinity router bits and they are of very good quality.
Infinity Tools is a little above Tampa, FL - not far from me.
I want to visit their place but I would have to take out a 2nd mortgage if i do.
keep at them until you get a satisfactory resolution.

there is no educational alternative to having a front row seat in the School of Hard Knocks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 10-17-2020, 12:44 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Yeah, but not really. I called to whine about their $110 zero clearance insert (ZCI) plate design.

My frustration was that they never tested it on a table saw with anti-kickback pawls installed. You know, the anti-kickback pawls that come with every modern table saw - the ones their customers use. When you lower the blade, the anti-kickback pawls dig in and gouge the aluminum ZCI plate. The gouges will scratch your wood unless you file them smooth. It probably isn't good for your blade lowering mechanism, either. The solution is to lock the anti-kickback pawls in the up position before you lower the blade, but nobody should be expected to remember every time.

The Infinity Tools customer support person on the phone was bored, unfriendly (almost hostile), and not sympathetic. I wasn't expecting a solution. I expected to talk with someone who cared; someone I could trust to pass my issue back to the designer and manufacturer. That was all I wanted, and I didn't get it.

Based on my brief phone experience, don't raise your expectations.
post #5 of 11 Old 10-17-2020, 01:18 PM

View TomCT2's Photo Album My Photos
Infinity does not sell anything of their brand for $1k

they do resell other high end brands - so....there's a couple questions.....

regardless, the tracks are typically screwed down - pull the screws, see what is under it, re mount....
John Smith_inFL and CharleyL like this.
post #6 of 11 Old 10-20-2020, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

I found out why the coping rail on my Infinity router table was jutting up and marring my work! I finally got the rail to come loose and found that the screws Infinity supplied to secure the table to the stand had penetrated the dado slot from below by about 1/32" or more. They pushed the rail up and I never noticed it until marks showed up on door panels I was routing.

I cannot emphasize my disappointment with Infinity more. They just simply ignored me after I sent them pictures of the defect. I spent $1,000+ on that table and other items I bought from Infinity, and they have this ridiculously short and STRICT return policy. They even sent me the wrong jointer knives for my older Jet model, and they begrudgingly "allowed" me to return them for the right ones. I had a project going, so I hadn't tried to replace the knives until it was done, and that put me beyond their short return policy. Their own web page recommended the knives they sent! But my Jet model uses the thinner blades than 5/8".

Anyway, if they treated a good customer like me this way, how do you think they're going to treat you?? Buyer beware is all I can tell you. Carl F. Worden
post #7 of 11 Old 10-20-2020, 01:27 PM

View hawkeye10's Photo Album My Photos
Carl, I hate that this happened. I can tell you one thing I will never buy anything from them again. I did buy a table saw blade from them.
Carl Worden likes this.

Don in Murfreesboro, TN.
post #8 of 11 Old 10-20-2020, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Infinity will never get another dime from me! From a business standpoint, you have to be really, really stupid or crooked to operate like that in the age of the Internet. Carl
post #9 of 11 Old 10-20-2020, 03:25 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Worden View Post
I found out why the coping rail on my Infinity router table was jutting up and marring my work! I finally got the rail to come loose and found that the screws Infinity supplied to secure the table to the stand had penetrated the dado slot from below by about 1/32" or more. They pushed the rail up and I never noticed it until marks showed up on door panels I was routing. [...]

I cannot emphasize my disappointment with Infinity more. They just simply ignored me after I sent them pictures of the defect. I spent $1,000+ on that table and other items I bought from Infinity, and they have this ridiculously short and STRICT return policy. They even sent me the wrong jointer knives for my older Jet model, and they begrudgingly "allowed" me to return them for the right ones. I had a project going, so I hadn't tried to replace the knives until it was done, and that put me beyond their short return policy. Their own web page recommended the knives they sent! But my Jet model uses the thinner blades than 5/8".

Anyway, if they treated a good customer like me this way, how do you think they're going to treat you?? Buyer beware is all I can tell you. Carl F. Worden
I had a similar "screw too long" problem with Infinity Tools, but forgot about it until I saw your post.

The zero clearance insert (ZCI) I mentioned above has screw holes in the end for when you use it with a "split end" inner insert for 10 inch blades. The split accommodates a riving knife or splitter. You can use small wood screws from underneath to hold the two ends of that inner insert apart and prevent them from pinching together.

The screws that Infinity Tools supplied with their ZCI were too long. The first screw I tried punched through the top of the inner insert and would have scratched the wood being cut. It also ruined that inner insert.

Infinity Tools charges $14 for four inner inserts. I ordered an extra pack of the inner inserts when I bought the ZCI. Their manufacturing tolerances and QA suck, too. Several of them were too wide, and I had to sand them by hand to make them fit.

You could say that both of us were "screwed" by Infinity Tools. :-)

P.S. Despite all the issues, I still recommend that ZCI. It has saved me a lot of money from buying official SawStop inserts at $50 each. Unfortunately, the only source is Infinity Tools.
post #10 of 11 Old Today, 08:49 AM

View Infinity Tools's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Worden View Post
Hi Gang: Has anyone else had problems with Infinity Tools customer service?

I paid about $1,000.00 for a router table system. I recently discovered that the coping rail embedded in the table was not flush, and it has resulted in marring (gouging) lines in my door panels. I notified Infinity and they asked for photos of the defect, which I submitted, Since then, no response at all! It's been at least ten days, and I've sent two more inquiries with no response. Now it looks like I need to file a Small Claims Court action. Infinity has a very short period to report defects, but this defect didn't reveal itself immediately until I produced panels for staining and only now discovered the gouging lines when I applied Benite. I'll include a side photo of the table so you can clearly see the rail is jutting above the table surface. Carl
Hi Carl,

From the picture you provided I can tell that you attached the stand to our Router Table Top using the incorrect mounting location. We provide pre-drilled holes on the underside of our Router Top (as described in the instructions) as a guide to help you attach the stand to the top. You used the wrong hole in the stand, located directly underneath the t-track, to drive the screw through the underside of the top. This has pushed the miter track up and out of it's original location. Remove that (those) screws and use the pre-drilled screw locations to attach the stand to the top. The instructions explain this step and when you flip the top over you will see those pre-drilled holes.

With regards to our delay in response to your support tickets; I apologize that it has taken too long to get back to you. Our new website and support ticketing system launched in September and we've had a heck of a time working out the bugs. Add this to having folks working remotely and out for sickness and you have the perfect storm of delayed support time. I am happy to report that we've got most of that sorted now and should be much better about reply times.

Please let me know if you have any other questions of concerns.

David Venditto
President
Infinity Tools
post #11 of 11 Old Today, 09:11 AM

View allpurpose's Photo Album My Photos
Hmmm.. There's a few other companies that got my ire over petty nickel and dime issues they refuse to address. One in particular is the Canadian wood equipment seller (the name escapes me for now) but I was going to purchase a very small piano hinge listed at 99 cents, but they wanted $15 to ship something that could easily fit in a business size envelope. They just wouldn't budge when I pointed out how ridiculous the shipping was for an item they very easily could have sent first class mail.
Point being is they lost a customer for life over such a petty issue. Perhaps I'm being petty too, but it's my money that doesn't come that easy to me. Infinity would have lost a customer for life (me) over such nonsense and then to turn around and make it your fault? Nope..sorry fellas. You eat the problem when it comes to such issues and don't manufacture excuses.

I figured it's time to change my signature so hold your breath. This is it.
Impressive, huh?
Marty or Marty Farty if you feel mean.

Last edited by allpurpose; Today at 09:16 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode