post #1 of 18 Old 06-21-2012, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 06-21-2012, 09:42 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
we worked on some at GM in the secret room....

Hidden in the basement marked Utilities next to the elevator to the executive VP's office.

I worked for a brilliant man, DR of Engineering in the field of Thermodynamics, who had a subtle sense of humor. He said " There is nothing inherently wrong with the design of a 3 wheeled vehicle, that the addition of a 4th wheel wouldn't improve"

My last vison of a 3 wheeler was last week as I rode by on my 2 wheeler, was the machine was off in the woods about 50 ft from the guard rail and no sign of the driver. The curve must have been too much for the operator or the machine or both...? My son said he saw the driver face down in front of the guard rail as he rode at the back of our party of 3.
Most 3 wheelers don't lean into the curves like a 2 wheeler although GM's design did lean. It was called the "Lean Machine".
http://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=ut...0machine&type=

I'm sure they are fine for some folks within their limitations, but there is no way to find those limitations until you "push the limits" much like any other vehicle.

Personally, I would not own one.....just sayin'
I'd rather have a Vette, Mustang, or Camero when I get too old to ride safely...

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #3 of 18 Old 06-22-2012, 12:49 AM
No Longer Here

View frankp's Photo Album My Photos
Here's one with a slightly different feeling... http://www.indycycle.net/media_files/images.html

My buddy built this one from a 750cc bike. Really fun to drive though you sit very low to the ground.

I've designed a two seater (side by side) with more of a prowler front end that I will eventually build as a t-top so it can be all weather. So many projects between now and then, though, that I probably won't be able to build it until my son is old enough to drive it (in 14 years or so).

Last edited by frankp; 06-22-2012 at 12:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 06-22-2012, 01:03 AM
where's my table saw?

The Indycycle is kool!

I'm no engineer, but having lived in Michigan and on hilly, curved gravel roads for 35 years I understand traction. Front wheel drive works well because the driving wheels pull the rest of the vehicle along for the ride. Red Green the Canadian Comic took a FWD CHrysler K car, sawed it off behind the driver's seat and drove it around with the body resting on the ground...no problems except a few sparks.

The problem I see with a rear drive single wheel dual front arrangement is a limited amount of pushing traction and in slippery conditions....snow, rain or icy roads you may not be going anywhere. There is a weight distribution issue also if the engine is ahead of the rear wheel. JMO.

A FWD dual wheel single trailing wheel arrangement would be ideal. I'm not certain of the new Can Am power arrangement but the wheels are the same configuration as the Indycycle, dual front, single rear. bill

BTW a real problem with any 3 wheeled vehicle is there is no way to avoid a pothole or dead animal since one of the 3 wheels is likely to be inline regardless of the lane position. On 2 wheels a simple swerve/return is all it takes to weave around an obstacle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Can-Am_Spyder

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 06-22-2012 at 01:13 AM.
post #5 of 18 Old 06-22-2012, 10:05 AM
No Longer Here

View frankp's Photo Album My Photos
Bill,

I don't like the Can-Ams. I've never been a bike guy, so I don't ride motorcycles. I like the idea of "open" though. The traction issue is definitely a concern but my buddy only rides his on perfect days and I don't mean full weather when I talk about mine being "all weather", just able to deal with sprinkles and such. I hadn't actually thought about potholes, though I don't think I ever noticed them in the indycycle the couple times I've driven it. Maybe I was on good roads? I'll have to ask my buddy if it's an issue for him or not.

Like I said, I'm a long way off from actually building one as my wife certainly won't let me start another big project until I finish a few that are currently ongoing.
post #6 of 18 Old 06-22-2012, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankp View Post
The traction issue is definitely a concern but my buddy only rides his on perfect days and I don't mean full weather when I talk about mine being "all weather", just able to deal with sprinkles and such. I hadn't actually thought about potholes, though I don't think I ever noticed them in the indycycle the couple times I've driven it. Maybe I was on good roads? I'll have to ask my buddy if it's an issue for him or not.
I'm not a trike guy, but the ad looked so good for the money for someone that does. The trailer is a nice touch. I've always had the philosophy that I didn't mind getting caught in the rain, but disliked leaving in it.

I've ridden a trike, and will say that counter steering does work to an extent with them. If I rode them often, I would pay very close attention to road conditions. One plus is that they don't get derailed as easily as two wheels. The triangulated stance has it's advantages.

post #7 of 18 Old 06-22-2012, 01:52 PM
dat

View dat's Photo Album My Photos
I'm not much of a skooter rider, but I kinda like the idea of coming to a stop without having to put your feet down
post #8 of 18 Old 06-22-2012, 02:34 PM
where's my table saw?

you can do that on 2 wheels....

If you practice, feather the clutch, use the rear brake, and a touch of throttle.....lot's of practice. The Cops and Shriners do it all the time:

post #9 of 18 Old 06-22-2012, 02:55 PM
The New Guy

View Itchytoe's Photo Album My Photos
^ and look like an idiot in the process.
post #10 of 18 Old 06-22-2012, 03:00 PM
Log dog

View Dominick's Photo Album My Photos
I'm not a fan of trikes. To me when I see people riding them, they look like their riding with training wheels. JMO.

When it's rustic......it's rustic
post #11 of 18 Old 06-22-2012, 03:02 PM
where's my table saw?

Some are not very good at it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchytoe View Post
^ and look like an idiot in the process.
I came to a stop light once and forget to put my left foot down and the bike leaned over to far. To avoid looking like an idiot, and having to pick the bike off the pavement, I pulled a hamstring instead. I looked kool, but it hurt like hell and I could barely walk after that.

post #12 of 18 Old 06-22-2012, 03:21 PM

View WillemJM's Photo Album My Photos
Perhaps I will get one with three wheels some time, but this will only be to enjoy my babies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Spring.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	46516  

Pure mathematics is, in it's way, the poetry of logical ideas. - Albert Einstein.
post #13 of 18 Old 06-22-2012, 03:23 PM
dat

View dat's Photo Album My Photos
This wouldn't be as bad as far as looking like an idiot

great balance

The Following User Says Thank You to dat For This Useful Post:
woodnthings (06-22-2012)
post #14 of 18 Old 06-23-2012, 12:48 AM

View jigs-n-fixtures's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick
I'm not a fan of trikes. To me when I see people riding them, they look like their riding with training wheels. JMO.
I was leaving Las Vegas once, and overtook five large full dress bikes with training wheels. They had been in town for some trade show where they were attempting to sell the idea.

I laughed so hard I nearly ran all of us off the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Wood Forum
The Following User Says Thank You to jigs-n-fixtures For This Useful Post:
Dominick (06-23-2012)
post #15 of 18 Old 06-23-2012, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
I came to a stop light once and forget to put my left foot down and the bike leaned over to far. To avoid looking like an idiot, and having to pick the bike off the pavement, I pulled a hamstring instead. I looked kool, but it hurt like hell and I could barely walk after that.

Image is everything...even if it kills ya.

post #16 of 18 Old 06-23-2012, 07:47 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
The golf cart world learned long ago that you do not produce three wheel vehicles with the single wheel in the front. Too many of the 3 wheel carts did a flip when the front wheel got turned too far. A few people killed and injured caused the cart manufacturers to go to 4 wheel carts.

I have seen 3 wheel motorcycles where the single wheel is in the back. They are very rare.

George
post #17 of 18 Old 06-23-2012, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
I have seen 3 wheel motorcycles where the single wheel is in the back. They are very rare.

George
Here ya go...
http://en-us.spyder.brp.com/showroom/all-series.aspx

post #18 of 18 Old 06-23-2012, 10:41 AM
where's my table saw?

Actually not rare, they are in mass production

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post

George

Ebay has many:
http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_...506.m270.l1311

Last edited by woodnthings; 06-23-2012 at 10:43 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode